PDA

View Full Version : make more power on stock LS1

98formulaLS1
July 15th, 2006, 03:11 PM
hey guys,

i have a stock 1998 LS1. what changes should I make to my calibrations to get some more power outta this beast??

I always hear people say that you can get like ??? hp from a retune. What should I retune, and give me some numbers here. Thanks

Dan

dc_justin
July 15th, 2006, 05:17 PM
hey guys,

i have a stock 1998 LS1. what changes should I make to my calibrations to get some more power outta this beast??

I always hear people say that you can get like ??? hp from a retune. What should I retune, and give me some numbers here. Thanks

Dan

Lean out the PE mode AFR {B3618} a bit to start.

You will also gain some power by adjusting the spark advance. High Octane Spark Table {B5913} and/or the Fuel Mixture Spark correction table {B5908} (for heavy throttle). Without using a load dyno to determine the actual optimal fiming value, I would stick with just making minor changes to either of these tables.

98formulaLS1
July 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Lean out the PE mode AFR {B3618} a bit to start.

You will also gain some power by adjusting the spark advance. High Octane Spark Table {B5913} and/or the Fuel Mixture Spark correction table {B5908} (for heavy throttle). Without using a load dyno to determine the actual optimal fiming value, I would stick with just making minor changes to either of these tables.

what should i change the two tables with?

B5913, should i increase the spark advance like 3% or something?

B5908, its still all 0's, i guess cuz no correction is needed, what should i set this to?

B3618, should i increase this a few % or something??

ringram
July 15th, 2006, 07:53 PM
1 you need a wideband
2 you need to closely monitor knock
3 you need to read and log more before you change anything

Do some searching on this forum and some reading you should "know" what you need to do first else you run the risk of making mistakes. Nobody here can tell you exactly what numbers to put in as the results need to be logged and tracked before making any decisions on adjustments.

Best thing is to learn the fundamentals, log, log and log again, then make minor changes based on your knowledge and understanding.

dc_justin
July 16th, 2006, 04:08 AM
1 you need a wideband
2 you need to closely monitor knock
3 you need to read and log more before you change anything

Do some searching on this forum and some reading you should "know" what you need to do first else you run the risk of making mistakes. Nobody here can tell you exactly what numbers to put in as the results need to be logged and tracked before making any decisions on adjustments.

Best thing is to learn the fundamentals, log, log and log again, then make minor changes based on your knowledge and understanding.

What he said. :rockon: I just wanted to give you some things to look up, rather than tell you what exactly to do.

Do some research here, LS1tech's tuning forum, ls1tuning.com, etc. There are a lot of random tutorials written up around there that can help you learn while helping you get started.

redhardsupra
July 16th, 2006, 06:53 AM
1. listen to ringram
2. here's a list of things i like to do on most cars:
http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/2005/12/top-17-tuning-tips-for-every-car.html

joecar
July 16th, 2006, 07:43 AM
What they all said, and read as much as you can (see the PCM & Diagnostics sectionsat www.ls1tech.com (http://www.ls1tech.com) and www.ls2.com) (http://www.ls2.com%29).

DIY tuning is not difficult, but it does require knowledge and understanding;

misquoted out of context, but very applicable: "...knowledge is power..."

Garry
July 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Wow, good read redhard!