PDA

View Full Version : Segment Swap in V8 Editor

blindawg
November 23rd, 2020, 04:11 AM
Am I missing this in the tutorial? I'm enjoying the rest so far! Everything is much less "Clunky" when opening new files.

Blacky
November 24th, 2020, 09:53 AM
Am I missing this in the tutorial? I'm enjoying the rest so far! Everything is much less "Clunky" when opening new files.

Regards
Paul

wesam
November 25th, 2020, 03:56 PM

Regards
Paul

What Disable checksum used for ?

Blacky
November 25th, 2020, 04:06 PM
What Disable checksum used for ?

Disabling the checksum is not recommended. That will cause the controller to not validate the data in the ECM. If any data gets corrupted, the ECM will continue to operate without knowing/detecting that the data is faulty. That can cause serious problems.

That option was added to the software to support real-time tuning - which is where a specially constructed ECM (like the LS1 RoadRunner) allows the calibration data to be modified on-the-fly while the ECM is running the vehicle's engine. By disabling the checksum the calibration data is changed in the ECM can be changed without triggering the ECM's data corruption detection and going into limp mode.

Disabling the checksum is not a useful or prudent thing to do in any other scenario. The fact that we don't support the RoadRunner ECM in the V8 software means that disable checksum should not really be active in the V8 software.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 25th, 2020, 04:09 PM

There are some updates to the segment import/export.
Currently in V8.3.1 you can only import an identical segment part numbers. It has been updated in V8.3.2 to:

Allow importing of different segment part numbers - so long as the OS number matches.
Export multiple segments simultaneously.
Use a more logical directory hierarchy.

Regards
Paul

wesam
November 25th, 2020, 04:18 PM
Thanks Paul
What about make all checksum zero
Does it mean to copy all segments ?

Blacky
November 25th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Thanks Paul
What about make all checksum zero
Does it mean to copy all segments ?

No, that just sets the checksums for each segment to zero. Again that is not a useful thing to do - some tuners have requested that feature for their own purposes. I think it has to do with third party hand-held tuners and the way some of them modify the ECM to deal with checksums.

With the next update V8.3.2 you can select all segments (except the boot block /OS segments) and export them all in one go.
Then you can import all or just selected segments into a different tune file (with the same OS number).

That update should be available in the next day or two.

Regards
Paul

Mitco39
June 3rd, 2021, 02:20 AM
As someone who is late to the V8 editor party but is finally coming over to embrace the new stuff this works awesome! Good job. I like how you can make a library of exported segments and just easily pull in what you need.