PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Sensor

Wingnut87
July 18th, 2006, 06:22 AM
I know there is an oil pressure sensor for the instrument panel gauge. I'm trying to check my oil pressure and was hoping I could just put my DMM on the sensor leads. Does anyone know what resistance correlates to what pressure? ie: calibration factor?

thanks,
Tom

Blacky
July 18th, 2006, 09:09 AM
This formula was calculated from observed data only, it is not from any authorised published data sheet on the oil sender. It is close but may not be 100% accurate. The voltage (V) in the equation is the voltage measured at the PCM.

psi = (V*32)-16

Regards
Paul

emarkay
July 18th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Page 8-567 of the 2K manual shows:
0 ohms is "low", 40 ohms is 30PSI, and 100 ohms is "high",
(Does this sound like GM or what?) :)
when fed to the analog gauge, so I would presume that those resistances are what the sensor is indicating.

Wingnut87
July 19th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I've been reading through alldata and have not found much information on the sensor. I know there is one on the driver side behind the intake manifold. It is refered to as the "pressure switch," "pressure sensor," and "pressure sender" and I'm under the impression the PCM uses it to disable the fuel pump if the engine is not running. EFilive will not log it. So I'm going to put my meter on it and measure the voltage. Or disconnect it and measure the ohms. Does this sound like the right thing to do?

thanks,
Tom

emarkay
July 19th, 2006, 04:16 AM
The LS1 Camaro/Firebird do NOT have an oil pressire input the PCM.

Wingnut87
July 22nd, 2006, 02:53 AM
Ok, so all data says the sensor will have a 4 pin connector with a signal, ground and two unused spaces. When I pulled the connector off, there was only one pin. Alldata has been very vague and shows the same part on the back as both the "sensor" and "switch." Maybe I will just take the thing out and replace it with a gauge.