PDA

View Full Version : Initial 402 tuning?

Bruce Melton
July 18th, 2006, 05:41 AM
I had tuned my low mile 346 sucessfully and it seemed happy untill it tragically ended its own life buy flinging rod ends. That engine had bolt-ons TEA heads, 224 cam and SV030s.
So, just fired new 402 with 238-242 cam, same heads and bolt-ons plus SVO42s with IFR corrected to RHS table. Only other tune change was displacement (if that matters). Intend to run MAF . Engine starts and runs but cranky at lower rpms.
Any other wholesale changes prior to tuning? VE, other?
Thanks,
Bruce

Chalky
July 19th, 2006, 02:38 AM
:grd:

dc_justin
July 19th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I had tuned my low mile 346 sucessfully and it seemed happy untill it tragically ended its own life buy flinging rod ends. That engine had bolt-ons TEA heads, 224 cam and SV030s.
So, just fired new 402 with 238-242 cam, same heads and bolt-ons plus SVO42s with IFR corrected to RHS table. Only other tune change was displacement (if that matters). Intend to run MAF . Engine starts and runs but cranky at lower rpms.
Any other wholesale changes prior to tuning? VE, other?
Thanks,
Bruce

I'd say as long as your IFR and engine volume fields are correct that you are ready to tune it. If it idles okay, I'd go ahead and VE tune it, then go back and fine tune the idle once the VE table is accurate.