PDA

View Full Version : Linking Scan Tool To Editor

Ninety8C5
February 22nd, 2021, 05:05 AM
In Version 7.5, I used a file E92_link.ini to link parameters between Scan Tool and the Editor. Is there a similar file to do this with the V8 Editor ? The reason I ask is that I changed the column information for the VE table to a calculated PID for Map/Barometer.

Thanks,
Walter

I read in the V8 Manual to right click in the Table (B8101, B8103 & B8105) and then Edit Column, Edit Row, etc. are changeable. When I do that the Edit Column is greyed out. The Column needs to be changed for those Tables from ECM.AFRATIO_M to a Calculated PID VVE.MAP_BARO.

Blacky
February 26th, 2021, 04:16 PM
It is built in to the V8 software now, you don't need to edit any config files.
You need to have at least one scan file open in order for the drop down lists to populate with scan files and PIDs.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
February 27th, 2021, 04:24 AM
I have a scan file open and the tune file open and this is what I get when I right click in the table. Do I need to do something else ?

Blacky
February 27th, 2021, 10:58 AM
Don't right-click at all, that is not needed for linking.

If you have a single scan file open, then the "Scan Data" drop down list will contain that file's name.
If you have more than one scan file open,then the "Scan Data" drop down list will be blank, waiting for you to select one of the multiple scan files to link with.
Select a scan file to link to, then select the row and col PIDs to link with.

The drop down lists will auto-populate if only a single PID exists that has matching metric units.
If multiple PIDs exist with matching units, then the drop down list will be blank and you will need to select one of the multiple PIDs
If no PIDs exist with matching units, then you will need to crete a log file that has a PID in it that matches the units of the axis to which you want to link.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
February 28th, 2021, 04:55 AM
Okay, I got that, but the problem is that the column description should be Map-Baro Ratio as shown in the V7 editor. That was done in the E92_link.ini file.

I think this is true for other controllers like E38, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Blacky
February 28th, 2021, 09:33 AM
The columns description should be the same as V7 (I'll look into that), however that won't cause any problems/differences when linking PIDs from the scan tool.

The linked PID must use the same units as the table axis. The table axis units are :1 (i.e. a ratio) so the only PIDs that you can select to link to that axis are PIDs with units of ":1", i.e. a ratio. (Which is why you can select the AFRATIO PId, that has units of ":1").
Linking the ratio axis to the MAP (kPa) as shown in V7* is not going to work because you won't get sensible results trying to compare a ratio and a pressure value.
You'd need to log a PID that returns the MAP:Baro ratio, or if such a PID does not exist, create a calculated PID with units of ":1" that computes the MAP:Baro ratio, something like this: return pid("MAP")/pid("BARO")

* V7 should never have been set up to link MAP to that axis for the E92.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
February 28th, 2021, 09:55 AM
Hi Paul,

I've attached to screen shots of an E67 Controller (V7 and V8) for the B8101 Table and they are set up to link to MAP, as is the E92 in V7. Perhaps the V8 Editor for the E92 controller is incorrect ?

I have a Calculated PID just like that for V7 & V8.

[VVE.MAP_BARO]
0=|-- VVE.MAP_BARO
1=|return pid("MAP.kPa")/pid("BARO.kPa");

Regards,
Walter

Blacky
February 28th, 2021, 10:01 AM
Perhaps the V8 Editor for the E92 controller is incorrect ?

The V8 editor is correct.
The V7 link setup for E92 is wrong, because the E92 table uses a MAP:Baro ratio for the axis. It should not be set up to link the MAP PID to the MAP:Baro ratio axis in V7.
The V7 link setup for E67 is correct, because the E67 table uses MAP (kPa) for the axis and that can link to the MAP (kPa) PID.

There is no pre-defined MAP:Baro ratio PID for the E92 that can be used as a link for that axis. You would need to create your own PID that computes the MAP:Baro ratio and then use that calculated PID as the link PID, as I explained in my previous post.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
February 28th, 2021, 11:04 AM
Hi Paul,

Perhaps I'm not explaining it correctly, but if you look at the Table in V7 and V8 the Column Units are Identical and they are kPa units, not AFR:1. I messaged JoeCar last year when we originally set up the Calculated PID (MAP/BARO) so that the V7 Scan Tool would track correctly in the Tune Tool. That helped set up the VVE Tuning.

Regards,
Walter

Blacky
February 28th, 2021, 11:39 AM
You're explaining it perfectly. Maybe you're not seeing that the E67 and E92 controllers are using different axis units for their VVE tables.

The E67 is using MAP/kPa and can therefor be linked to the MAP/kPa PID for linking.
The E92 is using MAP:Baro ratio and can therefor not use the MAP/kPa PID for linking

The fact that the E92 uses MAP:Baro ratio is not something that EFILive can control, that is something GM have programmed into the E92 controller - it is what it is and we (you) need to work with those MAP:Baro ratio values/units.

What EFILive can control (and what we did wrong) was to configure V7 incorrectly for E92 linking. It is incorrectly trying to link the MAP/kPa PID to the E92 axis that uses MAP:Baro ratio.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
February 28th, 2021, 12:44 PM
I agree with your second image it should be captioned with SAE.MAP or MAP:BARO Ratio with units in kPA not ECM.AFRATIO_M.

Thanks.

Blacky
February 28th, 2021, 12:56 PM
I agree with your second image it should be captioned with SAE.MAP or MAP:BARO Ratio with units in kPA not ECM.AFRATIO_M.

Thanks.

AFRATIO is automatically shown as the linked PID because that was the only PID in the log file with units that matched the axis units.
I.e. the axis has units of :1 and the AFRATIO PID has units of :1 so V8 tried to be "clever" and assumed that since both values are using units of ":1" then they can be linked - that's not accurate. However there is no trivial way for the V8 software to know that, since it is only using the units to make that decision.

If you didn't have AFRATIO as a selected PID then it would not automatically show up as the linked PID.
If you had another PID with units of :1 (i.e. a calculated PID that computed BARO/MAP) then neither PID would be auto-selected and you would have to select one of AFRATIO or that calculated PID from the drop down list.

Regards
Paul

Ninety8C5
February 28th, 2021, 01:30 PM
Okay, I think I got it ! I changed my Calculated PID from 'factor' to ':1'. Now it is an option in the drop down box in V8 Editor for that Table and it seems to track with the Scan Tool file.

[VVE]
MAP_BARO="Calculated MAP-BAROMETER RATIO",:1,3

Thank you for explaining how V8 Editor works, it might come in handy for another Table.

Sorry I took so much of your time,
Walter

joecar
March 9th, 2021, 11:39 PM
Would this work:

in the V7 calc_pids.txt file, change the units of the MAP:BARO pid from "factor" to ":1".

Ninety8C5
March 10th, 2021, 04:03 AM
I just tried that and the PID does not show up in the V7 Scan Tool. it looks like it doesn't like the :1 in the file. The V8 Calculated PID works great with "factor" changed to ":1" for E92 ECM's, but it won't work for the other "Exx" ECM's because the VVE table is looking for "kPa". I built two different PIDs for the V8 Scanner. I had a scan file and tune file for an E38 and it worked. I don't have access to the other (E82,etc.) ECM's.

[VVE]
MAP_BARO_E92="Calculated MAP-BAROMETER RATIO_E92",:1,3
MAP_BARO_Exx="Calculated MAP-BAROMETER RATIO_Exx",kPa,3

[VVE.MAP_BARO_E92]
0=|-- VVE.MAP_BARO_E92
1=|return pid("ECM.MAP.kPa")/pid("ECM.BARO.kPa");

[VVE.MAP_BARO_Exx]
0=|-- VVE.MAP_BARO_Exx
1=|return pid("ECM.MAP.kPa")/pid("ECM.BARO.kPa");

I hope that helps.

Blacky
March 10th, 2021, 10:44 AM
The calculated PID is only required for the E92 - since there is no actual PID to provide the axis lookup value MAP/BARO as a ratio.
For the other controller types that use kPa for the axis, just use the SAE.MAP PID directly as the axis lookup value.

Note: the V7 scan and tune tool don't care about the units of the PID or the axis, you can put whatever link PID you want in the link file - however, you have to take care that the PID and the axis are displayed using the same units.

Regards
Paul

joecar
March 10th, 2021, 12:22 PM
+1 what Paul said, for E38/E67 there is no need to use MAP:BARO pid as a link pid.

For V7, shouldn't the :1 be in quotes, i.e. ":1"...?

Ninety8C5
March 11th, 2021, 03:18 AM
I tried the ":1", but V7 Scan Tool doesn't seem to like it. After trying several different inputs instead of "factor" (:1,eqratio) the only thing V7 likes is "factor". The only PID's that show":1" in V7 are DMA PID's.

I didn't know about the link PID for the E38/E67, I "assumed". My Bad for assuming. :laugh: