PDA

View Full Version : PCM OS to EPA vs California Emissions

cyipher
April 13th, 2021, 06:30 AM
I'm in the process of doing a smog legal swap and even though I'm not in California the emissions system from the donor vehicle was a California emission vehicle. When I changed OS's to a different different vehicle (I'm using a 4L80E) the calibration file didn't have the last 8 of the vin (they were set as all 0's) and I cannot verify which type of emissions the tune file was equipped with. I'd prefer to not buy the more expensive California catalytic converter unless I have to. Is there any way to tell via the tune file which emissions the vehicle had?

Due to how the vehicle is checked for the initial smog inspections the O2's cannot be switched off, so that is not an option...

Thanks,
Kyle

74n72impalalq94l80
April 14th, 2021, 08:43 AM
should be able to go to scan tool and go to obd2 tab

74n72impalalq94l80
April 14th, 2021, 08:46 AM
is the referee where you are at making you go to dealer for program verification.. the ones here in cali do.. they make you wire in bcm and everything else. we cant turn off vats til after ref has approved the swap.

cyipher
April 15th, 2021, 11:04 AM
is the referee where you are at making you go to dealer for program verification.. the ones here in cali do.. they make you wire in bcm and everything else. we cant turn off vats til after ref has approved the swap.

Nevada,

From what the DMV Tech told me is they check for set monitors, reset the ecu and check to make sure there are no preset monitors (damn it!), and then come back once all the monitors are set again.

Don't see anything that says EPA or California emissions guess back to the drawing board...

Blacky
April 20th, 2021, 08:51 AM
Try logging this PID:

Regards
Paul

cyipher
April 20th, 2021, 10:13 AM
Try logging this PID:

Regards
Paul

Once logged does it give a # for which compliance it is?

Blacky
April 20th, 2021, 10:20 AM
Once logged does it give a # for which compliance it is?

Yes, it will log/display the OBDII compliance number. Not sure if that single PID is "enough" to determine the requirements for passing emissions.

I just tried two different OBDII controllers:

E38 (not sure what vehicle it was from) which returned 13 = "JOBD, EOBD and OBDII"
and
E39A from a Chevy Impala V6 which returned 11 = "JOBD and OBDII"

Regards
Paul

joecar
April 29th, 2021, 10:52 PM
Kyle,

What was the donor vehicle (year/model) for the engine, what smog devices was it equipped with? Do you know its VIN?

The tune doesn't know the difference between CA and other catalyst.