PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial Authors - Volunteers

TAQuickness
July 22nd, 2006, 05:49 AM
This poll is to get an idea of who would like to contribute to writing tutorials. This will be a public poll so if you decide you want to contribute to spark tuning, you can see who else wants to contribute, then you all can team up to tackle the job.

IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO CONTRIBUTE, PLEASE DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN THIS POLL!!! Again, this poll is just to make it easier for us to team up rather than all of us invent the wheel again.

I will caution anyone willing to author a tutorial, to be very selective of your help.

ringram
July 22nd, 2006, 06:46 AM
Im happy to help where you guys think Im best used.
Even if its just the grammar check :)

joecar
July 22nd, 2006, 08:21 AM
I'm short on time every day (I sleep about 4-5hr/night average), but I'lll give it a go.

Xtnct00WS6
July 22nd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Badass! Thanks guys! Great idea TAQuickness!

Tordne
July 22nd, 2006, 09:29 AM
I put my self down for a heap of stuff - no to lead in all though.

I suspect the usual suspects will end up working collectively on all this anyway - and we all have valuable input probably in all these areas.

Good idea though TA!

joecar
July 22nd, 2006, 09:21 PM
On Fire,
Andew,

if you're doing PE stuff, I have a nice screen shot of a log showing transitioning between OLFA and PE...

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9995/olfapelw4.png

redhardsupra
July 24th, 2006, 06:15 AM
i'm experimenting with a wiki. i put my own outline in there, and slowly will start to fill it up. All volunteering content authors, please send me a mail and i'll invite you as an editor.

http://tuning.wikispaces.com/

Beer99C5
July 24th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I am willing to write one on adding the autometer fuel pressure sending unit as a PID using the wideband input...

Also as a newbie, I am willing to proofread the tutorials for typo's since I don't have a great knowledge of EFI yet...

dc_justin
July 24th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I am more than willing to help provide details and filler language for any area other than fuel injectors and idle. Like Tordne though, I don't want to-- can't be the lead on anything. My free time can be unpredictable and I don't want to hold anything up.

redhardsupra
July 24th, 2006, 11:35 AM
that's the idea of a collaborative effort/wiki--you start on something, do as much as your time allows, and if it's clean enough, others will just pick up and run with it.

TAQuickness
July 24th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I am willing to write one on adding the autometer fuel pressure sending unit as a PID using the wideband input...

Also as a newbie, I am willing to proofread the tutorials for typo's since I don't have a great knowledge of EFI yet...

I'll help ya proof it. I've been wanting to get my FP into Live for some time now.

TAQuickness
July 24th, 2006, 12:46 PM
RHS - Is the wiki an on-line only thing? I'm still thinking of a tutorial base, specific to Live, available via the help menu's

redhardsupra
July 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM
online only, i dont like to create static content as people download it, never update it, yet bitch up a storm. think new hardware with ver1.00 drivers sort of dillema. it goes double for us, since the testing base of this stuff is relatively small (i've gotten ONE bug report in 1.5yrs of my spreadsheets being available, and i dont think it's because they're flawless ;) )

Black02SS
July 24th, 2006, 02:26 PM
RHS - Is the wiki an on-line only thing? I'm still thinking of a tutorial base, specific to Live, available via the help menu's
The problem with this is RHS only has HPT, so I don't see him wanting to go with a strictly Live based file. (This isn't against RHS as we both have spoke about this off the forums, so if you read this and think I am bashing on him, I'm not)

redhardsupra
July 24th, 2006, 06:55 PM
i don think 'stricktly anything' is a good idea, cause you'll end up doubling up work (and then start accusing each other of copying, blah). concepts need examples, and we should be able to put up hpt side by side with efi, i dont see a single problem with that. i have both sets of software and i will continue refusing to take sides.
I really dont understand why this must be a efi-effort or hpt-effort, how about just less-effort by not doing the same shit twice? ;)

TAQuickness
July 24th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Good points guys. RHS, the EFILive exclusivity is based on this poll (http://www.forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3001)

I do like the idea of the wiki, but the content of the tutorials needs to be available off line as well. Presently, as tutorials are updated, they are included in the Live software upgrades. Theoretically, the guy fussing about a typo'd tutorial will be running an earlier version of the software.

ringram
July 25th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I think for our purposes and what newb's want it should be efilive specific. Of course some sections will be relevant to both.

I do however believe the Wiki method is by far and away the best. Then there is a single point of data, no overlap, good version control etc.

Also it can be saved as a pdf at a point in time and included with the product. All the while it can be worked on and when a new software version is realeased a new fresh pdf created and included. For commercial reasons this is why HPT stuff cant be included.

Also means text formatting, layout etc is consistent throughout all chapters. Plus references between chapters can be created, images and link shared, etc, etc, etc.

In fact using anything else these days would be a mistake.

My 2p.

joecar
July 25th, 2006, 04:13 AM
If we're to use EFILive tuning parameter notion (e.g. B0101, B3618, D0701,...) then that makes it EFILive-specific to some extent (it would be a golden waste to not use the notation).

onfire
July 27th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Hand written draft of rpm vs pe is finished. I'll type it up this weekend. Plus I just installed a meth kit and want to confirm the same method fors for meth also. Need to add a couple of screen shots and an Excel spread sheet.

Who wants to proof read this on Monday?

ringram
July 27th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Post it into the wiki then we can all proof read it

onfire
July 27th, 2006, 03:41 AM
10-4

redhardsupra
July 27th, 2006, 03:57 AM
oh yea, whoever wants editing rights to the wiki, send me an email and i'll send you an invite

Black02SS
July 27th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I'll add another suggetion to this. I don't think that we should use any spreadsheets if we don't have to when crunching the data.

redhardsupra
July 27th, 2006, 07:04 AM
hey, i'd love to not have to make another spreadsheet in my life, but if the tools we're given fall short, i am forced to hack it outside of the given infrastructure. give me ways to do basic statistics on single data values and histogram cells, and i'd be much happier ;)

Black02SS
July 27th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I think for the masses, the ability to make custom histograms as well as filter the data is enough for what we are trying to accomplish. No need to confuse the people more then they are with a spreadsheet IMO. LOL Just cause you and I still use them doesn't mean others have to.

TAQuickness
July 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I think we can get by with just the injector flow spreadsheet for now. It's simple enough.

Black02SS
July 27th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I agree

ringram
July 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
RHS dude open the wiki for editing, else you will put people off too much hassle.
Just do a save now and again.

redhardsupra
July 28th, 2006, 02:05 AM
RHS dude open the wiki for editing, else you will put people off too much hassle.
Just do a save now and again.
1. i dont think it's possible with this wiki setup.
2. it's a bad idea to have open editing, especially with the usual 2-faction setup, shit will be tagged/deleted instantly. that's why i'd rather just give the rights to few people that have proven to have solid knowledge and even if they're diehard ol/sd efi fans, they wont go mucking up writesup about how to tune maf on hpt.

Garry
July 28th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Oops, thought I posted something earlier about this, but I guess I didn't ...

I moved the Wiki out of the other site and over to its dedicated space ... I'm not really finished with the setup, but for now it's pretty much ready for posting ...

As for the "people will mess it up" - if necessary, editing right could be limited to a limited group of people ... for now, as the Wiki keeps a history of all changes, no permanent damage could be done ...

http://gmtuning.info/wiki

emarkay
July 28th, 2006, 09:50 AM
As of now the Wiki is not up yet (17.53 CDT), BTW.

The Wiki is a good idea, but I think the ideas is here is for paper manuals, or at least PDF online type. Maybe the Wiki would be a good place to post EVERTYHING, and then cull from the Wiki relevant and conscise data for the actual tutorials.

I would hope that the finished items will carry the "look and feel" of the existing EFILive documentation (text fonts, layouts, indexes, etc...) and additionally, I would be willing to give the final draft(s) a good editorial lookover before final release, if so desired.

MRK

Black02SS
July 28th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I agree with you on this MRK. I think they should be approved and have the same identical format as the other tutorials do (PDF).

joecar
July 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I agree, consistent form/look/feel, pdf, able to be printed to paper by the user (for taking out to the car or under the car).

Blacky
July 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I will provide the Word document template that EFILive uses for its documentation. Once edited in Word the docs/tutorials can be converted to pdf for distribution.

I will post the word doc in a new thread shortly.

P.S. Before any document or tutorial is released under the official EFILive "banner" it must be approved by EFILive. Please do not distribute any documents using EFILive's document format unless it is approved by EFILive.

Regards
Paul

TAQuickness
July 28th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks Paul. This should help quite a bit establishing a consistant tutorial base.

ringram
July 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Ok guys start pasting your text into the wiki.
Dont worry about formatting, the dudes who can format can deal with that if you arnt sure.
Thats the nice thing.
Some can provide content and others can review and format etc.
Ive made a start with the list from the topic thread plus pasting my previous introduction attempt in.
I will also paste up the trans tutorial from joecar (who may then want to edit it into shape etc)

The link again is http://gmtuning.info/wiki

Garry can you manage backups and so on?

Garry
July 29th, 2006, 03:54 PM
... also waiting for an additional DNS entry, will probably end up under "wiki.efilive.com" ...

TAQuickness
August 1st, 2006, 09:08 PM
Garry - thanks to you and everyone else that helped set up the wiki.

Black02SS
August 2nd, 2006, 12:35 AM
I'm with TA. I just received all the emails and think I have sent in my informaiton. Let me know if there is something else you need from me for my login so I can get started. :)

Garry
August 2nd, 2006, 12:37 AM
You have mail ;)

Black02SS
August 2nd, 2006, 12:45 AM
HA! Disregard the email I just sent then. :lol: Thanks for the information.

Garry
November 25th, 2006, 06:11 AM
With V2 shipping, and winter coming (at least except for Oz/NZ), can we get back to polishing this up for publishing?

ringram
November 26th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Dude, you should have published already. Only that way will we get feedback and direction on whats wanted. Drop the hammer on it :D

PS: Donna said the next lot of v2 is on its way..

Garry
November 26th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Well, there you go ...

@all: Lots of stuff left to do!!! the link again is: http://gmtuning.info/wiki !! Stuff that still needs to be split up and distributed: http://gmtuning.info/wiki/index.php/Main2

@Richard: let me know when they show up!

ringram
November 26th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Doesnt seem to link straight into the wiki..
http://gmtuning.info (http://gmtuning.info/)/wiki works, but I cant see the graphics and pics we put in there at the time. Is this an old location?
Did I get the url wrong? I think we kind of had 2 sites at one point. The old and the new.

Garry
November 26th, 2006, 07:38 AM
That Main2 link has a couple of graphics, think that's what you're looking for ... apart from that, a couple of pieces of information were moved to separate pages ...

highperf
November 27th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Great Job ! I'm up to help anyway I can.

ringram
November 27th, 2006, 07:02 PM
That Main2 link has a couple of graphics, think that's what you're looking for ... apart from that, a couple of pieces of information were moved to separate pages ...

Whats the URL for the main2 link mate, I cant see it on the site.

Ta

Tordne
November 27th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Was posted above :)

http://gmtuning.info/wiki/index.php/Main2

ringram
November 28th, 2006, 08:21 AM
God Im blind!

joecar
November 28th, 2006, 08:41 AM
What'd you say...?

Xtnct00WS6
November 28th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Was posted above :)

http://gmtuning.info/wiki/index.php/Main2

Wow...that looks great so far!

I see that the VE section is blank. Maybe we could put the content from the AutoVE tutorial in there. If we do...I'd suggest that a little bit more could be added to the Data Logging section. Under number 5 of the Data Logging section, it's quite misleading to say "hit as many cells as you can, as many times as you can" when you don't want to go WOT. Wouldn't you need to go WOT to hit every cell? Going WOT with such a lean condition would be quite bad as far as I understand it.

Also when I was doing the "Paste and Multiply with Labels" in the Scan Tool, it would almost always over/under correct based on my next log after I pasted and multiplied. Maybe something should be mentioned that the "Paste and Multiply with Labels" will get you in the ballpark, but to get dead on consistently, you'll need to make manual corrections. Example: When I saw a correction of 1.05, I wouldn't simply select that cell and paste multiply into the MainVe table. I'd multiply that section of the MainVE by a small percentage whether it needed to be + or -. Does anyone else find themselves doing this?

TAQuickness
November 28th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I see that the VE section is blank. Maybe we could put the content from the AutoVE tutorial in there. If we do...I'd suggest that a little bit more could be added to the Data Logging section. Under number 5 of the Data Logging section, it's quite misleading to say "hit as many cells as you can, as many times as you can" when you don't want to go WOT. Wouldn't you need to go WOT to hit every cell? Going WOT with such a lean condition would be quite bad as far as I understand it.

Also when I was doing the "Paste and Multiply with Labels" in the Scan Tool, it would almost always over/under correct based on my next log after I pasted and multiplied. Maybe something should be mentioned that the "Paste and Multiply with Labels" will get you in the ballpark, but to get dead on consistently, you'll need to make manual corrections. Example: When I saw a correction of 1.05, I wouldn't simply select that cell and paste multiply into the MainVe table. I'd multiply that section of the MainVE by a small percentage whether it needed to be + or -. Does anyone else find themselves doing this?

ahh, tailchasing. I had that problem for a while. Turned out to be a slight influence from varying IAT's and a leaky intake manifold. Since correcting both of those, it's dead nuts.

highperf
November 28th, 2006, 02:53 PM
ahh, tailchasing. I had that problem for a while. Turned out to be a slight influence from varying IAT's and a leaky intake manifold. Since correcting both of those, it's dead nuts.Yeah and in this case Dead Nuts is a good thing.:cheers:

Xtnct00WS6
November 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM
ahh, tailchasing. I had that problem for a while. Turned out to be a slight influence from varying IAT's and a leaky intake manifold. Since correcting both of those, it's dead nuts.
How did you correct those problems?

Thanks!

ringram
November 28th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Cool Im glad its up. The feedback will be very helpful and guide the tutorial to an excellent resource.
Already TAQuickness is getting excited about tweaking his contribution ;)

Garry
November 29th, 2006, 12:56 AM

I see that the VE section is blank.

I already started copying over the AutoVE tutorial, not finished yet, as I tried to make sure that formatting was done right etc ... see http://gmtuning.info/wiki/index.php/AutoVE_Tuning ... again, please note that the "main2" page is still a leftover of the first couple edits, as it was mainly a collection of everything folks could think of, but not organized nicely as it could be in the Wiki ... I started moving parts to separate pages, which should be done with the rest of the information left in that page ...

TAQuickness
November 29th, 2006, 01:59 AM
How did you correct those problems?

Thanks!

COS5 and several itterations of RTV Gaskets. I didn't know I had the manifold leak until I installed the second WB.

ringram
November 29th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Garry can you merge it all together, so that it all links off one page? We will then get back to work on it and make it nice.

Garry
November 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM
The main entry page (http://gmtuning.info/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) is the place where all is (should/will) be linked together - one large page that has everything on it doesn't really add to the readability IMHO ...

I tried to create areas of difficulty/knowledge/experience required - the blue is just general information, green being the entry level, yellow intermediate or tricks/tips, while red being for the experienced/advanced user ... plus the tutorial area ... this way, newbies should be able to gradually improve their tuning skills, without having to dig through tons of information and trying to decide what steps to do in which sequence ...

Open to suggestions ...

TAQuickness
November 30th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Nice work Garry!

wadesns
April 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
I am new to the whole tuning experience with efi live and am unsure if my help is needed but am willing to help out with tutorials with hands on stuff ie wb installs and what not. just send me a pm whenever I am needed. I would also be intrested in helping out with other tutorials if and when I become more knowledgeable in those areas. Also if I might add although many aren't intrested and just want to know what to do to fix their problems I would be very intrested in seeing more write ups on what actually happens when you make changes. ie how the whole procedure is affected when things are changed. This may be something that could be added to tutorials to give a better understanding of the BIG picture. I also feel a document is needed on how to read the scans. Like what to look for and what is happening when you see certain spikes and abnormal happenings.
Thanks for putting the effort into making this a better community. This is why I am with efilive and no longer with the competitor. Good work!!!

..RJ..

TAQuickness
April 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Weclome to the furm wadesns! We appreciate your willingness to help/contribute. Likewise, if you are needing help, feel free to call on us ot help.