PDA

View Full Version : mild cam idle surge and basic settings - tune and log attached

Boost
July 4th, 2021, 07:12 AM
Please help me with a few pointers and observations

restored from death 2012 Chevy Caprice PPV

105k miles

muffler delete and intake cone in stock housing

this will be my daily driver starting NOW... lol

I have followed many threads and created an alternative tune that starts and idles well but surges violently in gear. So I'm not posting that tune at this time unless requested

Here is the current tune and idling around the block for the first time :

Boost
July 6th, 2021, 05:09 AM
I have fixed / improved the intake / intake temp setup on the car an reset fuel trims, little better but still needs massive tuning. The first step on the throttle burbles and hesitases then takes off pretty good. Untuned cam...

In-Tech
July 6th, 2021, 05:17 AM
Are you sure that's an e78? I just did a cammed 2012 caprice ex copper car and it was an e38.

Boost
July 9th, 2021, 12:14 AM
Are you sure that's an e78? I just did a cammed 2012 caprice ex copper car and it was an e38.

Yes this is beginning to confuse me as well. I really thought it was an E38 all this time too, but it self identifies...

In-Tech
July 9th, 2021, 12:34 AM
Generally it will say on the case or the back. If it has two connectors it will likely be e38, if it has 3 it could be e67 or e78.

Boost
July 9th, 2021, 04:26 AM
Ok thanks

ScarabEpic22
July 9th, 2021, 04:41 AM
Just opened the .ctz from the original thread, comes up as E38 for me. Running the latest June beta version of V8. Pretty sure E78s were only in small I4 cars (Sonic/Cruze/Spark/likely others) and 2500/3500 HD trucks.

What have you started doing from a tuning perspective for it? Stock everything except intake/exhaust?

Boost
July 12th, 2021, 02:02 AM
Just opened the .ctz from the original thread, comes up as E38 for me. Running the latest June beta version of V8. Pretty sure E78s were only in small I4 cars (Sonic/Cruze/Spark/likely others) and 2500/3500 HD trucks.

What have you started doing from a tuning perspective for it? Stock everything except intake/exhaust?

My old friend Erik!!! :)

Long story... I promise to tell it all / when and as I am able lol

Yes, I will try to figure out what is the deal with it popping up as an E78 that time, once I'm sure it's still doing it I'll post a screen recording or video.

Anyways, it has a mild delete cam, LS9 head gaskets with ARP bolts, muffler delete and a home made intake. Also the special Australian motor mounts that are awesome.

It has the beginnings of a tune and I will fill it up with E80 for the first time today, God willing.

Right now it's very difficult because it has NO brakes (bleeding / caliper problem I'm working on) and the cam untuned makes that a handful as I daily drive this to the school I work at as a teacher. Bald rear tires bubble faded tints barely any a/c and the trans and diff fluid are black sand.

I have 4 new tires on the way and 4 new brakes all the way around already installed, should hopefully stop when I fix the hydraulic problem. But right now it's rather sporty to get home, and not in a good way. I will post brand new logs and tune soon!

The cats are pretty clogged I am sure, can smell and hear. Saving up for a OTR (intake) and exhaust work, but first it needs brakes and a hood that closes or fits (multiple accidents - the hood and front end literally look like a 3 year old installed the hood with a hammer... sorry working on it as best as I can, will post pictures.

Wish me well guys and gals to survive and restore our "new" Australian Police Car.

:)

thank you

Boost
July 12th, 2021, 02:04 AM

ScarabEpic22
July 12th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Hey Roland, glad to see you're still tinkering away!

Definitely get the brake issue sorted out!!

What are the cam specs?

How does it run on the bone stock factory tune? My guess is not great with a cam (and potentially clogged cats), but wonder if there's a mechanical issue going on.

Boost
July 14th, 2021, 01:21 AM
Hey Roland, glad to see you're still tinkering away!

Definitely get the brake issue sorted out!!

What are the cam specs?

How does it run on the bone stock factory tune? My guess is not great with a cam (and potentially clogged cats), but wonder if there's a mechanical issue going on.

Yes, I am still at it. In a nutshell, I have been building my '01 Z28 for 1.5 years and invested $10k but 2 months after getting it running HARDDD my good friend totalled it into a tree on a test drive at 70 mph and we both got hurt. Insurance gave me all of $7600... which I promptly spent on - no offense - the world's most broken '12 Caprice PPV 9C1 L77 / 6L80E and I am using it as a daily driver... don't ask lol.

Today's update is that after massive blind and stupid tuning revisions I still have no brakes (unrelated) and now the transmission slips bad because I foolishly reset the TAPS.
I suppose it could take a few weeks of normal driving to relearn hopefully. The exhaust is still clogged and I will be installing a VCM OTR and a clip on wideband today. The car needs another trans and engine flush also, the 2.92 diff is finally clean.

Wish me the best you guys, I really love my sweet Holden Commodore VE (ish) a LOTTT but ***literally*** everything is broken on the car and I'm already broke having invested $3000k in emergency repairs in the last month since I've had it. FLM lol

Erik, on the factory tune it started idled and drove like ass although a) that is to be expected b) it is smooth in a way and trustworthy on the stock settings sort of.
Then I moved on to an HSV starter file that was so kindly provided to me. That got the car starting and idling wonderfully but throttle response is an asshat and the transmission is on drugs. Since then I've gotten some more help that further significantly improved it and that is where we are. Introducing full-time E85, currently at 45% alcohol. I have wheel speed sensor and tire monitor codes that I'm saving up for so I HOPE that fixes the brake pedal feel. Thanks for everything guys

LSXceleration
Non DOD Cam:
#2054301 3-Bolt Stage 2.1 (218/227 .523/.523 HR112)

joecar
July 21st, 2021, 06:10 PM
Hi Roland/Boost,

Good to hear that you and your friend are ok (from the 2001 Z28 crash).

Keep safe, get your brakes working good.

Get rid of the clogged cats right away.

Erik has a good idea to see how it runs on the stock tune.

Do you have a pic of the ECM...?

Can you give more detail/pics regarding the Aussie motor mounts...?

Also, since it was a PP, check rest of car for damage (and hidden compartments :) ) make sure it's safe.

Boost
July 26th, 2021, 04:23 AM
Hi Roland/Boost,

Good to hear that you and your friend are ok (from the 2001 Z28 crash).

Thanks, it was a hard hit and it hurts in every way we are thankful though

Keep safe, get your brakes working good.

I have properly serviced the entire system and it has improved much, only pending thing is a LR wheel speed sensor circuit diag and repair to get all the abs lights off the dash

Get rid of the clogged cats right away.

I have fixed this issue...

Erik has a good idea to see how it runs on the stock tune.

We have tried this but runs much better on the current modified hacked tune lol

Do you have a pic of the ECM...?

It's hidden under the fuse box, pretty sure an E38 with 2 connectors sorry about the weird mixup. I will snap a pic whenever exposed but I trust the software id

Can you give more detail/pics regarding the Aussie motor mounts...?

Yes I will! They are so cool here is a link

https://holdenpartsusa.com/collections/ppv-engine/products/technico-torque-master-chevy-ss-caprice-ppv-pontiac-g8-billet-engine-mount-set

Also, since it was a PP, check rest of car for damage (and hidden compartments :) ) make sure it's safe.

Yes my friend checking and driving every day, trying to make it safer :) THANK YOU

:cheers: wow so much has happened since I had a chance to catch up with you guys. Still in the middle of it lol

Boost
July 26th, 2021, 04:37 AM
Since taking this log I have installed BR7EF ngk plugs gapped to .30 with MSD thick plug wires to replace TR55s gapped to .40 and crap wires

So it should behave differently with the knock gone and running more alcohol, we can have a more normalized baseline to find decent operation until all the sensors arrive for proper tuning

I have a very kind friend that I met on here (Gustavo) that has straightened out all of the shifting issues and we were able to fast forward into the street tuning stage until running into a detonation problem recently. Very impressive work and I'm truly thankful for the help

Wideband is installed, E60 and increasing %, two steps colder plugs, intake and exhaust upgraded so we are not totally blind and hopeless here.

Let me get some better quality logs now with cold plugs, seafoam done and approaching 80% ethanol. Once the wideband is sorted we should be able to smooth this poor car out

joecar
July 26th, 2021, 03:27 PM
E60: make sure you calculate/lookup the stoich AFR for this and set it in the tune.

Boost
July 27th, 2021, 02:02 AM
E60: make sure you calculate/lookup the stoich AFR for this and set it in the tune.

Thank you brother. Last night I installed a set of four red polyureathane exhaust hangers while tightening up some leaks down there. Also upgraded the worn sway bar links with ACDelco Professional gold OEM pieces. More importantly managed to break loose what used to be B2S2 and moved the AEM WB there from the tailpipe sniffer.

Added some more E so we are now @ 60% alcohol. Also yesterday on my lunch break swapped out all 8 TR55s @ .40 and installed 8 BR7s @ .30
That should help with detonation and all our cars seem to like that setting as a starting point. I know they are nitrous plugs but it's 100+ degrees here and my tune is a mess

I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your day and week, and just know that I sincerely appreciate you.

5.8 seconds to 60 MPH so far and 9.1 s @ 80 MPH short track (660) runs like a stock '96 Impala SS hahahaha! Breaking up and huffing and puffing slipping lmmfao ;D

Boost
July 27th, 2021, 02:04 AM

I looked at this again and my first though would be doesn't it automatically "mix" the commanded mixture as the alcohol content swings? That was what I gathered from looking at that table (?)

joecar
July 27th, 2021, 06:17 AM
I looked at this again and my first though would be doesn't it automatically "mix" the commanded mixture as the alcohol content swings? That was what I gathered from looking at that table (?)
Does your vehicle have the alcohol content sensor...? Table B3671 is indexed by the value output by the alcohol sensor.

Boost
July 28th, 2021, 12:41 AM
Does your vehicle have the alcohol content sensor...? Table B3671 is indexed by the value output by the alcohol sensor.

I believed these newer vehicles use the oxygen sensors for alcohol content they no longer use a dedicated flex fuel sensor (?)

joecar
July 28th, 2021, 06:57 PM
I believed these newer vehicles use the oxygen sensors for alcohol content they no longer use a dedicated flex fuel sensor (?)
That's what they do so they don't need the alcohol content sensor.

ScarabEpic22
July 29th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Virtual FlexFuel has some fun aspects to it. If you plan to switch between E60 and E10, invest the ~$100 in a real ethanol sensor and wire it up. There are full plug n play kits available for ~$300 for sensor/wiring/fuel line adapters as well. No more guessing or worrying about the ECM sticking with the wrong Ethanol % in the tune...

Glad you're making progress!

Boost
July 30th, 2021, 04:57 AM
Virtual FlexFuel has some fun aspects to it. If you plan to switch between E60 and E10, invest the ~$100 in a real ethanol sensor and wire it up. There are full plug n play kits available for ~$300 for sensor/wiring/fuel line adapters as well. No more guessing or worrying about the ECM sticking with the wrong Ethanol % in the tune...

Glad you're making progress!

Thanks you Erik and I will strongly consider that! I am planning to stick with E80 at all times, however due to lack of availability and / or an emergency that's a great idea :)

Boost
August 2nd, 2021, 12:52 AM
ScarabEpic22 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Thank you, friend! Currently having a new issue with FP dropping to 40 momentarily at WOT & high RPM - I am worried about a dirty FP sock in the tank so switching back to 93 to see if it was the ethanol.

(going to repeat this post in the thread)

ScarabEpic22
August 3rd, 2021, 05:37 AM
ScarabEpic22 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Thank you, friend! Currently having a new issue with FP dropping to 40 momentarily at WOT & high RPM - I am worried about a dirty FP sock in the tank so switching back to 93 to see if it was the ethanol.

(going to repeat this post in the thread)

Yep sorry, just got the email and cleared some PMs out!

Boost
August 18th, 2021, 03:07 AM
Hey Roland, my PM inbox was full so I just cleared it out!

Good deal brother, just got wife’s ‘02 Silverado race / landscaping truck running yesterday with a choppy LS6 cam! :)

Roland Szanto
torqs@yahoo.com
www.lsxnos.com

My inbox won’t let me send you a complete/ proper message lol sorry

joecar
August 18th, 2021, 03:28 PM
. . .
Silverado race / landscaping truck running yesterday with a choppy LS6 cam! :)

Good job :cheers:
I like that you race your work truck :cheers:

Boost
August 19th, 2021, 12:35 AM
Good job :cheers:
I like that you race your work truck :cheers:

Cheers to you mate !!! :beer:

We are letting life take it's course :) while my lady is studying for college law and ASE exams and I am on unpaid teacher holiday, we built 3 cammed LS in our driveway in 6 months. Now we have 1.5 days to race each other untuned

This Friday truck lady vs. Holden cop car both snaggle toothed and funky - hopefully high 8s

I love my life since I "found" EFILive on November 26, 2006

Boost
August 19th, 2021, 12:53 AM
I can post up both current tunes and both datalogs after

we are not videoing because it's so much stress. this time it's personal lol

joecar
August 20th, 2021, 04:55 PM
I love my life since I "found" EFILive on November 26, 2006Well spoken !!

Posting just your tunes logs is fine with me.

Boost
January 26th, 2022, 12:16 AM
Thought I would update this just for some closure. Thank you my old friends for the kind words and always being supportive. Both cars ran disappointing times, the truck was on very low timing and the car would not shift right. I ended up running a 9.2 twice and beating her pretty badly, she was in the 10s (1/8 mile) no traction and no timing. Then we were down for 5 months, tough times for the family, illness and financial issues. Went back out recently and improved a LOT, I ran an 8.7 @ 84 in the Caprice and she did 8.6 @ 84 in the truck. We are still working on tuning issues as much as life permits but very thankful for the huge improvements with potential still, and all the help from friends. Might test the truck again this Friday,, and will be sure to post current tune, data logs, and maybe timeslips and videos.

Boost
February 3rd, 2022, 07:54 AM
Well the best update I can give to kind of bring this thread full circle is this video:

https://youtu.be/8CI0wU4tM18

Disclaimer, things did not exactly go as planned, I had the Flashscan V2 hooked up to MY vehicle that ended up not making a pass, consequently my lady's truck was stuck with another brand datalogging device which you may deduct from a short clip at the end of the video.
Thanks again for looking and the help.

Boost
February 20th, 2022, 11:02 AM
https://youtu.be/JPobJUnqjDQ

Highlander
April 16th, 2022, 02:47 AM
Did you get this solved?