PDA

View Full Version : C5 Vararam to Callaway Honker

vettenuts
July 26th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Has anyone tuned with the Honker installed? I just went from a Vararam to a Callaway Honker, which moves the MAF to right in front of the throttle body. I am now getting a rich code. Not sure at this point if it is coincidence, but if anyone has any knowledge of the compensation that the computer makes for this change I am all ears.

dfe1
July 26th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Make sure the connections are good and that the wiring wasn't damaged during installation. It's doubtful that you'd get a rich code by switching from one system to another. If the code is legitimate, it means the Honker is really restricting air flow, and I doubt that's the case. Does teh car run any differently with the Honker installed at light throttle settings?

vettenuts
July 27th, 2006, 03:59 AM
No, the car has always run great. I recorded more data last night, it appears to be cell 1 and sometimes cell 2 where the code gets set. What I am not sure if is how moving the MAF will affect things since it is about 18" closer to the throttle body, will that throw off the calibration?

Ira
July 28th, 2006, 05:25 AM
The Chevy MAF as almost all automotive MAFs measures the airflow at just one or two points in the air stream, moving the MAF or rotating the MAF can dramatically change the readings. I'd start by rotating the MAF 90 degrees and see if that helps, otherwise, just use EFILive to correct your MAF table so it matches the current location's response characteristics.

Ira

vettenuts
July 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Did that today, so far so good:cheers:

Ira
July 28th, 2006, 02:43 PM
It's doubtful that you'd get a rich code by switching from one system to another. If the code is legitimate, it means the Honker is really restricting air flow

What makes you think that? In a carbureted car that would make the engine run rich, but the MAF shouldn't care. The great thing about a MAF is a dirty air cleaner just costs power, not gas mileage. As far as the engine's concerned you've just not quite put the throttle open all the way.

Ira