PDA

View Full Version : 2016+ LML Factory Programming on a bench harness

killerbee
October 26th, 2021, 12:03 PM
12662677 SN.

For 2016, SPS appears to prevent ECM-only programming. When I tried, SPS tried to locate the TCM, apparently they have to be programmed in the same operation. Has anyone run into this dead end? What was your work-around?

Some ding dong told me also, that a used 2016 ecm could not be programmed to another trucks VIN. I am guessing this was just another dealer tech 2 limitation?

Hopefully there are some folks here who have overcome the new protocol. ACDelco has turned into fort knox. A password change every 2 months is pretty ridiculous.

GMC-2002-Dmax
October 30th, 2021, 04:57 AM
You could try a EFI Connection Bench Harness with a PIGTAIL and then connect a TCM onto the ECM and see if that makes TIS Happy

I do not use TIS2WEB anymore, its such a PITA

killerbee
October 31st, 2021, 08:40 AM
You could try a EFI Connection Bench Harness with a PIGTAIL and then connect a TCM onto the ECM and see if that makes TIS Happy

I do not use TIS2WEB anymore, its such a PITA

You are probably right Tony, just wanted to see if anyone had done it off-board yet. I agree with you, I don't understand how GM thinks this process deserves all this security. Even their system requirements are now something from another universe.

Chavez91
November 4th, 2021, 04:30 PM
Its been a long while. But IIRC theres some comms spoofing that needs to be done. Had an arduino setup a few years ago that did it. I think it was TCM and BCM comms? Id honestly have to dig in the archives to remember.

derkscustomcars
December 11th, 2021, 03:23 AM
Check out customecm.com, James has build a nice utility to change VIN in almost any GM ECU with a decent quality ELM327 device, i have personally not tried it on E86B

GMPX
December 12th, 2021, 10:56 AM
EFILive can change the VIN on any GM ECM, that isn't the issue. The issue discussed above is GM's SPS wants to make contact with other vehicle modules before it will program the ECM.

killerbee
December 14th, 2021, 10:29 AM
EFILive can change the VIN on any GM ECM, that isn't the issue. The issue discussed above is GM's SPS wants to make contact with other vehicle modules before it will program the ECM.

Correct Ross. And this was true beginning in 2011 LML E86, where the BCM needed to be detected. It got worse for 2016 ECM's. So far, have been unable to factory program any USED 2016 ecm using GM. Have had reports from mechanics running into the same problem. And tragically there is presently no supply chain for NEW ...677 ECMs. It must be NEW, and it must be on-board, or on a harness with a TCM and BCM, as best I have concluded so far. A big curve ball and wondering if anyone has found a workaround to be able to use salvage 2016 ECM's.

GMPX
December 14th, 2021, 01:48 PM
Seems like they are going out of their way to force people into a dealership?

Woody35
March 9th, 2023, 10:55 AM
Correct Ross. And this was true beginning in 2011 LML E86, where the BCM needed to be detected. It got worse for 2016 ECM's. So far, have been unable to factory program any USED 2016 ecm using GM. Have had reports from mechanics running into the same problem. And tragically there is presently no supply chain for NEW ...677 ECMs. It must be NEW, and it must be on-board, or on a harness with a TCM and BCM, as best I have concluded so far. A big curve ball and wondering if anyone has found a workaround to be able to use salvage 2016 ECM's.

Has anyone made any headway with this?