PDA

View Full Version : E81 Support?

Cougar281
May 12th, 2022, 01:28 PM
Apparently, from the 'supported vehicles' page, EFILive supports the E81 ECM, and to get a little more specific, it seems EFILive supports the 2018 Cadillac CT6 3.0TT. From what I gather, the E81 is used in the 2016-2019 CT6, but the 2019 is not listed as supported. Are there any plans to support the 2019 CT6 E81 (3.0TT), or did GM go to fully encrypted nonsense that year for that model?

Cougar281
May 19th, 2022, 10:56 AM
@Blacky, @GMPX ?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Blacky
May 23rd, 2022, 09:14 AM
If you have an E81 and can read the tune file from the E81, please submit the file to EFILive via our service desk (https://service.efilive.com/new-ticket) and then we can determine if support for it can be added.
Regards
Paul

Cougar281
May 23rd, 2022, 10:09 AM
Thanks Paul... That gives be some hope lol. I don't have the car just yet, but when I do, I'll reach out. But what about the 'controller authorization'? It seems you guys no longer do that?

To be totally honest, at least at this point, all I would REALLY want to do is nuke the stupid 'auto stop/start', so if it turned out you could support it, if all you could provide was a handful of tables that would allow parameters to be set such that thst 'feature' could never operate, I'd be a happy camper.

Blacky
May 23rd, 2022, 10:11 AM
But what about the 'controller authorization'? It seems you guys no longer do that?
It is no longer necessary, it is all built in to the software now.

Cougar281
May 23rd, 2022, 10:40 AM
I must have missed something then... I tried to read a 2018, but couldn't because of that... Is it no longer a pay thing, or something else? In that case, it was 'out of curiosity', so I wouldn't buy an unlock, but if/when I have the car I'm looking for, that would be different.

Blacky
May 23rd, 2022, 11:16 AM
Are you using the latest release V8 software to read the ECM? It should just work (unless GM have blocked reading on that controller).
If not, save a *.htx trace file (from the EFILive Control Panel) and submit it as a help desk request here: https://service.efilive.com/new-ticket
Regards
Paul

Cougar281
June 17th, 2022, 11:41 AM
So I updated to the latest release, and was able to read the ECM in my 2019, which I sent in. The odd thing is afterwards, some things seemed to be really ticked off. Onstar is complaining about five 'issues' that need attention, and several modules, including the Instrument Cluster, were not responding when I ran vehicle diagnostics to scan all modules for DTCs using my MDI2 and Techline connect. Didn't have any 'visible' issues, no drivability issues, everything was working as expected near as I could tell. After I 'rebooted' the car by disconnecting the negative cable for a few minutes, the 'missing' modules are now back to responding to Techline Connect and seem to not be showing any issues. Do you have any thoughts on this? I've never seen that kind of behavior before.

Blacky
June 17th, 2022, 12:17 PM
When the read (or flash) process occurs, the ECM is effectively "dead/missing" on the CAN bus. Prior to starting the read/flash FlashScan requests "bus silence" from all modules. Those modules should then "know" not to log any DTCs about not being able to contact other modules on the bus until the "bus silence" is revoked. It could be that some modules are not handling the bus silence well (or some newer modules are programmed to look for a different message to enable bus-silence that FlashScan is not aware of - yet) and those modules may still record the fact that other modules were not contactable for the duration of the flash. After a few ignition cycles those DTCs will get cleared as the modules all begin to communicate with each other again. Or as you did, you can reset/reboot everything by power cycling.

After the read, did you do the ignition-off, wait X seconds, then ignition back on? That can be important because the ECM needs to "time out" after the ignition is switched off to allow it to perform it's internal house-keeping operations which includes writing some information (that it needs to keep permanently) to it's own internal flash memory.
Maybe we've set the timer too low, next time try waiting a bit longer (say up to a minute) to see if that makes any difference.

Regards
Paul

Cougar281
June 17th, 2022, 01:04 PM
Yes, I shut it down and waited for the timer before continuing, and then after that, it sat overnight before being started again. It was Thursday evening that I read the ECM, but today that I hooked up with the MDI2/TechConnect/GDS2 because Onstar was complaining, and that's when I found the modules 'not responding' according to GDS2. Like I said, no drivability issues, the car wasn't complaining about anything, no CEL, no other DIC messages, only OnStar, and if I didn't have a MDI2/TechlineConnect/GDS2, I would never have known about modules being unresponsive, yet they were still functioning...

Edit: Just to clarify - there weren't loss of comms DTCs. When GDS2 was polling all modules in the car, several that are there and had been polled previously, like the cluster, came back as 'not responding'.

Cougar281
August 20th, 2022, 10:39 AM
So I read the controller and submitted the file to support about two months ago... I never got any sort of notification, but apparently the ticket was closed, but with zero comment. No yes, no, maybe so. Nothing. I'd expect SOME sort of comment, even if it's 'Nope, sorry, no way we can support it'.

I tried opening the file using the latest version of the V8 tune tool, and on the surface, it seems to recognize the controller and OS/Calibration data, but the message I get when I try to edit it is 'Calibration definition file _E81.cam(E82) is incompatible with the files controller type: E81.'. Now with the reference to the E82, I'm not really sure what the message means because it's most certainly not an E82, so I don't know why it's mentioning the E82.

So is there any chance of this OS on the E81 being supported?

Blacky
August 20th, 2022, 10:37 PM
I took a look but I can't find that ticket.
Do you have a ticket number?

I recall there were some issues (that I think have since been fixed) where E82 and E81 files were getting incorrectly identified by the V8 software.

Regards
Paul

Cougar281
August 21st, 2022, 02:02 AM
I took a look but I can't find that ticket.
Do you have a ticket number?

I recall there were some issues (that I think have since been fixed) where E82 and E81 files were getting incorrectly identified by the V8 software.

Regards
PaulLooks like OMNT-8555-PILR.

Blacky
August 21st, 2022, 08:38 AM
Looks like OMNT-8555-PILR.

That does not look like a valid ticket ID. A ticket ID is just 4 digits. If it was 2 months ago it would probably be in the 7,000 range.
We're currently only up to ticket 8500, we have not issued tickets as high as 8555 yet.
Can you forward the ticket/email to support@efilive.com and that should re-activate the ticket and I should be able to see it.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
August 21st, 2022, 09:52 PM
my dad's ford ranger has/had that stop/start bullshit in it too. $20 later for some software and it's turned off in the bcm.

Cougar281
August 22nd, 2022, 05:36 AM
I forwarded the e-mail in a short time ago, and it seems it opened a new ticket (not really surprising), and this one seems to be URAK-5558-ANYF - there's nothing else in the e-mail to suggest a ticket number. Logging in and looking at it, that's the 'reference number'.

Cougar281
August 22nd, 2022, 05:37 AM
my dad's ford ranger has/had that stop/start bullshit in it too. $20 later for some software and it's turned off in the bcm.

What did he do to kill it? I know there are various things out there, but it seems it's not uncommon for the various 'foolers' to cause funky issues.

Tre-Cool
August 23rd, 2022, 09:49 AM
the ford stuff can be done with Forscan. I just used my obdlink device with it to read the bcm config out, change the parameter, then sent it back.

Apparently the ford dealers know that it can be turned off, but are not allowed to because it was part of the emissions stuff getting them into Australia. Sounds like BS to me.

Cougar281
August 23rd, 2022, 10:34 AM
the ford stuff can be done with Forscan. I just used my obdlink device with it to read the bcm config out, change the parameter, then sent it back.

Apparently the ford dealers know that it can be turned off, but are not allowed to because it was part of the emissions stuff getting them into Australia. Sounds like BS to me.Oh, derp, totally glossed over the bit about it being a ford. VAG vehicles are similar in that there's a LOT you can change with the right tools. On the VW Jetta my wife had, using VCDS, I was able to enable rolling the windows both up and down using the fob. There were a lot of other things that could be changed, as I recall, that's just one thing that I actually did. With GM, that kind of thing seems nonexistent, unfortunately. There are a few thingstgat I'd like to do on my CT6, the auto stop start garbage being one on them, some or all of which probably could be done on a VAG vehicle with VCDS, but so such luck in any way with GM.

Cougar281
August 25th, 2022, 11:19 AM
Paul, did you see the new ticket?

Blacky
August 25th, 2022, 12:48 PM
Paul, did you see the new ticket?

Yes, I eventually found all the ticket info. I have fixed the E81 issues and I am planning on posting an update later today or tomorrow with that fixed.
Regards
Paul

Cougar281
August 26th, 2022, 12:23 PM
Saw the beta update and installed it, and can now open the tune - but in poking around, I saw something that raised an eyebrow.... parameter C1710 - 'Number of Post O2 sensors' the value as read is 17,096 :shock:

Also noticed some values that show as question marks... Thoughts?

Blacky
August 26th, 2022, 12:39 PM
Saw the beta update and installed it, and can now open the tune - but in poking around, I saw something that raised an eyebrow.... parameter C1710 - 'Number of Post O2 sensors' the value as read is 17,096 :shock:

Also noticed some values that show as question marks... Thoughts?

Hmm, I see the same thing here.
Which ones show with question marks? Those would probably be enumerated values where the number in the calibration doe snot map to a known text description.
I'll have our calibrators take another look at it.
Assuming 2 inches of tail-pipe per O2 sensor, the tail-pipe would need to be 1/2 mile long :bangin:

Regards
Paul