PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder balance missing bars and momentary negative ECT

PewterC5
August 1st, 2006, 11:04 AM
All,

When I run the balance test I have results bars that are randomly missing (completely). Additonally, almost everytime I run it the ECT blinks red for a moment on at least one of the cylinder. I think its showing an ECT of -20 or something???

I found several similar threads but I didn't see any final results or explanations.

Any thoughts on whats going on? Any chance this test would be catching intermittent ECT values even if I haven't seem them during lots of logging?

TIA,

Blacky
August 1st, 2006, 02:12 PM
The momentary red ECT can be ignored, it is almost certainly not being generated by the vehicle.
As for the bars that are missing - it is possible that the RPMs were not in the displayed range. I'd say try adjusting the initial idle speed to be closer to the center of the test range, but you can't do that on a C5.

Regards
Paul

All,

When I run the balance test I have results bars that are randomly missing (completely). Additonally, almost everytime I run it the ECT blinks red for a moment on at least one of the cylinder. I think its showing an ECT of -20 or something???

I found several similar threads but I didn't see any final results or explanations.

Any thoughts on whats going on? Any chance this test would be catching intermittent ECT values even if I haven't seem them during lots of logging?

TIA,

carneb
August 1st, 2006, 03:27 PM
I've had the same problem. I've found that if the ECT turns red while testing a particular cylinder, then you don't get any result from that cylinder.

I've tried multiple times and it seems to happen at random, never the same cylinder. I've never been able to complete a cylinder balance test and get a result from all 8 cylinders. :frown:

DrX
August 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM
Same experience here and no way to control idle speed. The ETC idle speed button(or any of the other RPM buttons) has no effect on idle speed in the cylinder balance test but it does work in the BIDI Control Panel??

Blacky
August 1st, 2006, 03:52 PM
Hmm, best I take a look at what is causing the problem.
Watch this space....
Paul

dc_justin
August 1st, 2006, 06:08 PM
Same problems here. Seems to be more frequent with the latest software release. :nixweiss: I used to be able to run the test no problem...

Redline Motorsports
August 2nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
I have experienced this as well but never got around to posting it. I thought it was me!

Wingnut87
August 19th, 2006, 04:44 AM
This just happened to me too. I ran the balance test for the first time. Cylinder 2 almost never works. The cylinders that do work are all very close in power. Is there a problem with my car or is it normal for EFIlive to miss some cylinders? If I run it a few times, I can get all cylinders to work.

BTW, I'm trying to find an engine knock.

DrX
December 30th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Still watching.:)

"ETC" RPM control still not working. Can this be fixed or at least an RPM button added to the test console, as that one works under "idle air control".

joecar
December 30th, 2007, 04:10 PM
To all who posted in this thread: I want to get an idea which vehicle/model/year/PCM you see this on...?

DrX
December 30th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Vehicle/OS as per my sig. RR PCM now but same issue with stock PCM. Not sure if the other issues have been taken care of but my "ETC" control still doesn't work as of today. Installed V7.5.1 a couple of days ago.