PDA

View Full Version : tapping rev limiter slightly at 1-2 shift. LS swapped s10

mvvette97
December 19th, 2022, 06:07 PM
Been trying to get my s10 dialed in. It's running a cammed 5.3 engine. It seems to just barely tap the rev limiter right at the 1-2 shift at Wide open. My limiter is set to 6200 so hate to bump it up any more. What table can I change in the trans to make it shift just a bit sooner? Funny thing is I had an old wore out 6.0 in it before and it never did hit the limiter during the shift but this 5.3 does. this new engine seems to rev way faster than the old 6.0. It was down on power compared to this new engine. I would guess it's just revving too quick in first for the trans to keep up and make the shift in time. Figued I could command it to shift a little sooner to hopefully get the shift just below the limiter. The trans is a 4l80 as well.

nonnieselman
December 20th, 2022, 01:12 AM
Post your tune.
Also what gear ratio and tire size?
What size cam?
6200 is kinda low of a rpm for limiter.
Transmission fluid level correct?

Set your WOT Shift RPM and MPH a little lower and give it a try.
Depending on your cam, intake, exhaust setup you could raise rev limiter up to 6800 and still be plenty safe. it might still be making power past 6200rpms.

In-Tech
December 20th, 2022, 10:20 AM
FYI, the rods may not break but those stock cast hyper pistons don't like to be above 6200 rpm very many times, beware.

nonnieselman
December 20th, 2022, 07:59 PM
FYI, the rods may not break but those stock cast hyper pistons don't like to be above 6200 rpm very many times, beware.

Really? Ive tuned cam'd 5.3 and 6.0's in mud trucks that hang out at 7200ish for an uncomfortably long time.
I know the early small rods werent to keen on power but them pistons have been hanging in there. The Gen 4s we spin them up to 8600-8800 rpms in the drag cars.

In-Tech
December 20th, 2022, 09:31 PM
Sorry, I've seen multiples that others have turned up the rev limiter and ign timing nor preignition was the factor :( if they are looser than .0023 they will break with rpm, but then, how do you know. risk risk risk, not focking worth any of it.