PDA

View Full Version : Need help with turbo tune on a truck

Ladyredhawk
August 11th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I haven't tuned a truck or one with a turbo yet and will need to do one tomorrow.

Does anyone have a tune I can look at and see what I might need to do.

2003 Chevy 1500 4 x 4 Extended Cab Truck
Stock 5.3L engine.
SVT Turbo for "stock" application
44LB injectors with after market fuel pump.
3000 Stall converter.

Any help to get me in the ball park would be GREATLT appreciated.

Ladyredhawk
August 12th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Got her done! lol :D All went well.

joecar
August 12th, 2006, 04:56 AM
LRH,

I was going to suggest www.holdencrazy.com, but looks like you got it nailed; good job... :cheers:

Are you tuning on a dyno, what HP/TQ numbers did you get...?

Cheers,
Joe

Ladyredhawk
August 12th, 2006, 05:19 AM
LRH,

I was going to suggest www.holdencrazy.com (http://www.holdencrazy.com), but looks like you got it nailed; good job... :cheers:

Are you tuning on a dyno, what HP/TQ numbers did you get...?

Cheers,
Joe

Dyno numbers where 379RWHP/471TQ, not bad, they said it dyno'ed 230HP stock. I didn't lock the converter up or lock it in 3rd gear so he just "eased" into the throttle.

The only real confusing thing for me was, I tuned it for 16 degrees of timing, but it would start out at 21 degrees at 3500 rpms and then would go down to 16 degrees. I made sure it was in PE mode and everything else I could think of.....I was wondering if there was a table I was missing that is different than the f-bodies and Corvettes that I am use to??

kbracing96
August 12th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Cool, any info on this SVT turbo kit, I've not heard of them before? Is it custom, or a kit? Any pics, links? Thanks

Ladyredhawk
August 12th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Cool, any info on this SVT turbo kit, I've not heard of them before? Is it custom, or a kit? Any pics, links? Thanks

lol It turns out it was a STS kit. I was told wrong about that at first and had me wondering what it was too. lol

What did your truck dyno at?

kbracing96
August 12th, 2006, 05:56 AM
LOL, I could see how one could make that kind of a mistake ;) The last time I had it on a dyno, was before the cam and meth, and running 7lbs on the stock 4.8, it got 352rwhp and 386rwtq.

Those are some pretty nice torque number you got there :)

Ladyredhawk
August 12th, 2006, 06:17 AM
LOL, I could see how one could make that kind of a mistake ;) The last time I had it on a dyno, was before the cam and meth, and running 7lbs on the stock 4.8, it got 352rwhp and 386rwtq.

Those are some pretty nice torque number you got there :)

I didn't get to see the chart, those are the numbers they told to me (I was in the passenger seat busy tuning lol). I bet the high tq number was probably from a spike because it shifted on the dyno. That is one reason I was curious to see your numbers. Would have been better if it was locked in 3rd and the converter locked up, but that is hard on the tranny and they didn't want to take the chance.....

joecar
August 12th, 2006, 06:21 AM
The only real confusing thing for me was, I tuned it for 16 degrees of timing, but it would start out at 21 degrees at 3500 rpms and then would go down to 16 degrees. I made sure it was in PE mode and everything else I could think of.....I was wondering if there was a table I was missing that is different than the f-bodies and Corvettes that I am use to??There's a lot of spark modifer tables...
Could try logging some of the the EST_* pids, these show where the various additions/subtractions to timing are coming from.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9877/estpp0.png

kbracing96
August 12th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Here's my graph, you can see where the converter locked.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Kbracing96/Dynorun3-4-06.jpg

oztracktuning
August 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Turbos like low timing before peak torque and the rapid increase in timing after peak torque. The difference can be an increase of 6 degrees or more.

Also less timing when building boost well before peak torque.

Maybe if you had another go trying this strategy would help make even more.

dc_justin
August 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM
The only real confusing thing for me was, I tuned it for 16 degrees of timing, but it would start out at 21 degrees at 3500 rpms and then would go down to 16 degrees. I made sure it was in PE mode and everything else I could think of.....I was wondering if there was a table I was missing that is different than the f-bodies and Corvettes that I am use to??

Perhaps the fuel mixture spark correction table?

Ladyredhawk
August 13th, 2006, 12:28 AM
There's a lot of spark modifer tables...
Could try logging some of the the EST_* pids, these show where the various additions/subtractions to timing are coming from.

I couldn't get EFI V7 to scan during the dyno, had to use EFILiveV5. My fault I am sure. I am not real familiar with Flash/Scan V7 and haven't spent the time to learn it yet. :nixweiss: I normally use HPtuner's and still log a lot with EFILive V5. I really need to find time and updated myself on Flash/Scan, it is awesome, that is what I used to tune the truck.

Ladyredhawk
August 13th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Perhaps the fuel mixture spark correction table?

Does this table ADD spark under the certain conditions? If it does that could be it.

dc_justin
August 13th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Does this table ADD spark under the certain conditions? If it does that could be it.

Yep. B5908.

Justin

Ladyredhawk
August 13th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Yep. B5908.

Justin

Yeah, I was just looking at that table, looks like that was it....Shame you weren't with me yesterday! :Eyecrazy: Bet you could have gotten EFI Scan V7 to work too.:master:

joecar
August 13th, 2006, 06:01 AM
I couldn't get EFI V7 to scan during the dyno, had to use EFILiveV5. My fault I am sure. I am not real familiar with Flash/Scan V7 and haven't spent the time to learn it yet. :nixweiss: I normally use HPtuner's and still log a lot with EFILive V5. I really need to find time and updated myself on Flash/Scan, it is awesome, that is what I used to tune the truck. V7 setup checklist:
press the green connect button in upper left corner,
setup pids you want to log (and save to file, or open from file, or set as default),
setup dash gauges/charts to display those pids (and save to file, or open from file, or set as default),
press the red button at bottom center
(red=log and record, displays on gauges/charts; yellow=log without recording, displays on gauges).

Ladyredhawk
August 13th, 2006, 08:24 AM
V7 setup checklist:
press the green connect button in upper left corner,
setup pids you want to log (and save to file, or open from file, or set as default),
setup dash gauges/charts to display those pids (and save to file, or open from file, or set as default),
press the red button at bottom center
(red=log and record, displays on gauges/charts; yellow=log without recording, displays on gauges).

I believe I did all the above. It connected and "said" it was recording, but none of the gauges moved. I really didn't have time to check it all out right then, so just switched over to V5.

I will play with it some more next week, I am sure I didn't do one of the above steps right. I can see I need to spend more time on this site. lol

Black02SS
August 13th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I couldn't get EFI V7 to scan during the dyno, had to use EFILiveV5. My fault I am sure. I am not real familiar with Flash/Scan V7 and haven't spent the time to learn it yet. :nixweiss: I normally use HPtuner's and still log a lot with EFILive V5. I really need to find time and updated myself on Flash/Scan, it is awesome, that is what I used to tune the truck.
Glad to see that you got it all figured out. Congrats on the numbers. I was wondering when I saw the post what you were using as I thought you had HPT. ;) You would really enjoy Live once you converted over as several of us have. If you have anymore problems getting V7 to connect (assuming you upgraded your serial number) just let us know.

Highlander
August 13th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Congrats... you do have more work to do on that tune.... but you are getting there :)

Ladyredhawk
August 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Glad to see that you got it all figured out. Congrats on the numbers. I was wondering when I saw the post what you were using as I thought you had HPT. ;) You would really enjoy Live once you converted over as several of us have. If you have anymore problems getting V7 to connect (assuming you upgraded your serial number) just let us know.

Yes, I got Flash/Scan when it first came out Feb of last year, but have only tuned a couple of cars with it so far and now this truck. Just haven't spent a lot of time with the V7 scanner. Most of my tuning has been with HPT, but I will be doing a lot more with Flash/Scan now,so I will be around this site a lot more.

Look, it was and adjustment going from LS1Edit to HPtuner and now Live, but I always used EFILiveV5 & V6 for scanning. Now, if Live came out with the tuner first, it would have saved me all this time with these other "practice" tuning programs. lol

Black02SS
August 13th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Look, it was and adjustment going from LS1Edit to HPtuner and now Live, but I always used EFILiveV5 & V6 for scanning. Now, if Live came out with the tuner first, it would have saved me all this time with these other "practice" tuning programs. lol

:cheers: I know all to well where you are coming from.

Ladyredhawk
August 14th, 2006, 12:49 AM
I am going to try and finish up the tune this afternoon, any other suggestions that I should look at while I am there? The P1514 code has come up too so I will raise the C6101 & C6102 tables. Thanks! :D