PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to McRat, 11sec Duramax

GMPX
August 11th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Congratulations to Pat & Kat who are the proud owners of the quickest and fastest LLY Duramax. Time was run on fuel only and a single turbo.
1/4 mile 11.77 @ 114.5MPH

Tuned with EFILive of course :D

Watch out all you LS1 racers ;)

Video of the run HERE (http://www.fuzzydiceracing.com/k/Mcratracingvideo_0004.wmv)

Cheers,
Ross

TAQuickness
August 11th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Puhtooooooow! Talk about lobbing the big ones.

dfe1
August 12th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Slightly off topic, but kickass avatar Ross. I'm going to try doing one for my C5

joecar
August 12th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Cool... :cheers:

Time was run on fuel only and a single turbo. Be interesting to see what it does on propane and the 2nd turbo.

Watch out all you LS1 racers ;) Too right... at traffic light, watch out, they'll drag you off... :bawl:

dfe1
August 12th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Watch out all you LS1 racers ;)

Indeed, but as Duramax owners know, it's really a kick to come up along side a guy in a Rice Rocket with his squeeze sitting next to him. They get really embarassed when some guy in a big truck blows them away.

Redline Motorsports
August 12th, 2006, 07:39 AM
What kind of power is it making? We had a Dodge at the shop last week with twin turbos and making 63 psi!:Eyecrazy: It made 595 RWHP and 1000 ftlbs!

These diesels are sick!

Any video footage?

GMPX
August 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure Howard, I'm guessing at least 650+.
These trucks are about to become seriously fast. These guys have been stuck with plugin boxes and handheld precanned tunes for so long, but now with full tuning ability and some great mechanical upgrades starting to appear things are about to really step up.
Now, if only GM would fit this motor into something a little smaller!, Imagine a Trailblazer with 600+HP and over 1000lb-ft.
There was going to be some video footage posted over the the Diesel Place. I'll put the link here when it's up.

Cheers,
Ross

TAQuickness
August 12th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure Howard, I'm guessing at least 650+.
These trucks are about to become seriously fast. These guys have been stuck with plugin boxes and handheld precanned tunes for so long, but now with full tuning ability and some great mechanical upgrades starting to appear things are about to really step up.
Now, if only GM would fit this motor into something a little smaller!, Imagine a Trailblazer with 600+HP and over 1000lb-ft.There was going to be some video footage posted over the the Diesel Place. I'll put the link here when it's up.

Cheers,
Ross

Paints a scary image. Ever been to Houston? If yes, ever seen a soccer parent drive a Trail blazer?

eboggs_jkvl
August 12th, 2006, 09:50 AM
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4804709#post4804709

TAQuickness
August 12th, 2006, 10:07 AM
links not working for me.

eboggs_jkvl
August 12th, 2006, 10:33 AM
links not working for me.

Here'e the text. You may need to be logged on to the site to see that forum.

Victim:

Casper - A month old 2005 2500HD GMC Duramax/Allison Extended Cab 4x4, shortbed. Factory weight (no driver/half tank) 6400lb.

First stop was the dragstrip to get the baselines. Ended up with a 16.7@80mph stock.

Next stop was at Mike L's Inglewood Transmissions 310 674-4400. He put a Frankie2 special trans together for it. Shifts excellent on the street and when racing. It is holding up pretty well.

Now to Clyde at West Coast Diesel Performance 951 674-5122. Clyde installed a custom 4" sidepipe exhaust, lift pump (Holley HP150 has issues, so we switched to a new Edlebrock unit available at PPE or WCD). We did the Shim Mod to the Pressure Relief Valve to .060", and drilled out the front restrictor to .062". Now we put in gauges (pyro, fuel pressure, boost). We used a SPA for the pressure, DON'T DO IT. It works erratically. POS. Next was the McRat Ghetto Nitrous. We pulled the passenger seat and made a special bracket to replace the seat. We hooked it into the horn relay, and sprayed it though a Super Diesel multiport manifold. Down and dirty. Clyde put on a Super Diesel centerlink to control front end toe in.

Next stop, Joe at Pacific Performance Engineering (714) 985-4825. After testing various stacks, we came up with using the PPE Hot +2 competition program, the Van Aaken LLY module set on the middle setting, and a PPE variable boost controller set to 32-34psi.

The PPE Hot +2 is a special application tune for racing, but it behaves surprisingly well on the street. It is a PCM uploader that will also correct for tire size, read and reset codes, and clear transmission tap cells. There are also smaller tunes on the programmer for towing.

The Van Aaken box adds a little kick to the big fuel the PPE sprays in. We are not sure yet why it works so good, but it at this point I can't find a better stack. Just these two alone are big power, but I don't want big power, I want MORE.

So we put on a PPE Electronic Boost Controller. This allows you to set your boost where you want it on the fly. We found maximum power (474rwhp) at 32-34 PSI.

Now a special TCM from Kennedy Diesel (715) 255-9433. This is a race only TCM that you will not want to drive on the street, but runs good at the track.

That's it. Trans, tuning, exhaust, nitrous. I worked a lot to find the optimum combo, and went through a lot of parts that didn't work to get there. I'm saving you ALOT of money and time by listing my setup. You don't have to guess, we have this setup on multiple LLY trucks and they all haul ***.

Now to the track! California Speedway last Friday. The results?

On #2 (raceweight 6420lb) - 13.04 @ 101 on #2 only. On the bottle with a .070" jet, the trans didn't like the nitrous yet (we are working on it, it's computer issues), but still squeezed off a 12.27 @ 111.81. We raped blown SRT-10's with it.

12.27 at 111 (http://fuzzydiceracing.com/1227casper.wmv)
13.04 on #2 only (http://fuzzydiceracing.com/k/1304casper.wmv)

We believe this truck is the quickest LLY in the country, and it was done in 2 weeks from start to finish on a month old truck.

joecar
August 12th, 2006, 12:14 PM
12.27 at 111 (http://fuzzydiceracing.com/1227casper.wmv)
13.04 on #2 only (http://fuzzydiceracing.com/k/1304casper.wmv)Take a look at the vids....:master:

GMPX
August 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I think that 12.27 was run with NO2, the new tune (done by Pat with EFILive) and some more mechanical goodies from PPE resulted in the 11 second run (without NO2).
I put the link to the 11sec run in my first post.

Cheers,
Ross

Trippin
August 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Beware the Duramax.
They hunt LS-1 powered vehicles as well as rice.
Both are best served...................smoked. :D

McRat
August 12th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks Y'all!! :D

I will admit, I've been spreading the news all over the internet. Understand the "experts" said we would never get over 400HP out of a LLY Duramax with stock injectors. So I want to make it sting as much as is possible. ;) Casper is not only the first 11 second fuel-only Duramax, it is also an LLY.

This week we will find out what Casper dynos at because we need to do testing. But we are going more for ET reduction than paper sheets.

The coolest thing about EFILive was our ability to make critical changes at the track to compensate for conditions. Our first pass was "no slip" with Kathy driving. She said it wasn't running right. So I did a pass, and the transmission was hating life. 12.7 @ 111 !!! I just ran 12.2 at high altitude 2 days earlier. We have only one more pass to set the record. The denser air increased boost and HP a bunch, and the transmission couldn't "learn" quick enough. So I forced it to defuel at shift RPM way down to about 300HP. I know it will shift at 300HP. And the last pass was the magic number. Now I must work on pre-setting the tap cells or adjusting the defuel when I go to thick air tracks. But EFILive saved the day once again at the track when the going got tough.