PDA

View Full Version : Tuning/68rfe questions

JtRenegade
March 21st, 2024, 10:12 AM
I was looking at the tune on my personal truck(2010) and noticed in the pedal to torque table there is an entire column for negative throttle position. Is this necessary? How could I ever have negative throttle position?

Does anyone know if the 10-12 trans tuning is similar enough I could borrow some trans tuning from a tune for a newer(13+) truck?

Thanks

Jim P
May 18th, 2024, 06:29 AM
There’s a reason for everything on why the tables are set the way they are. As far as using visible transmission parameters from a 2013 and putting them into a 2010-2012 calibration, there is almost virtually no difference so what’s the point? Stock trans tuning no matter the year just isn’t that great in general so why waste time with more stock trans tuning when you can just adjust it and tailor it to your preferences for a better driving experience.

JtRenegade
May 18th, 2024, 06:38 AM
I should have mentioned that I was not talking about stock trans tuning. I've got a few tunes that shift really nice but they are for 13+ trucks. I manually copied everything over to a tune I am working on for my 2010. I have not tried it out yet but I'm guessing it will be fine.

Thanks for the response

Jim P
May 18th, 2024, 10:51 AM
Yeah it’ll be just fine. There is a difference in axle ratio between the 2010-2012 and the 2013-2018 but not enough to make any real large impact. The code is a bit different between the 2010-2012 and the 2013-2018, well each year and each revision it’s slightly different but almost all shared parameters between them all are damn near virtually identical. Just new stuff really is added as far as coding and parameters go as you get into the newer stuff.

JtRenegade
May 18th, 2024, 12:47 PM
Awesome thank you, that's the input I was hoping for.

K24Madness
July 24th, 2024, 02:59 PM
I could borrow some trans tuning from a tune for a newer(13+) truck?

Thanks

Hey JT, Would you be willing to share that 13+ trans file? Trying to build a file for my personal 16 and would like to compare a few things. Thanks!

Jim P
July 24th, 2024, 09:58 PM
Hey JT, Would you be willing to share that 13+ trans file? Trying to build a file for my personal 16 and would like to compare a few things. Thanks!

Just use your 2016 tune file, there is no difference between the the 2013-2018 model years, they can all be found on the forum too

K24Madness
July 25th, 2024, 05:38 AM
Just use your 2016 tune file, there is no difference between the the 2013-2018 model years, they can all be found on the forum too

I was interested in comparing his 13+ tuned trans file, not the stock version. Unless I somehow misread that JT was sitting on that.

I want to do my own trans calibration (no commercial interest, just personal) and it would help to have something to compare it to.

JtRenegade
July 25th, 2024, 05:42 AM

I have a couple of them, I'd be glad to share.

Jim P
July 25th, 2024, 05:42 AM
Adjust shift and lockup tables up and down till it feels like what you want, nothing more to it. Everyone has their own preferences and desires of how it shifts and lockups, really all boils down to personal preferences

K24Madness
July 25th, 2024, 05:56 AM
Adjust shift and lockup tables up and down till it feels like what you want, nothing more to it. Everyone has their own preferences and desires of how it shifts and lockups, really all boils down to personal preferences

I was more curious about the deltas some are using between upshifts and downshifts. Also curious about semi locked conditions others are using.

K24Madness
July 25th, 2024, 06:00 AM
I have a couple of them, I'd be glad to share.

Thanks JT!!! I can't seem to PM you or post my email here without admin approval. Must be related to my new guy status.

hogan.thomas -at- outlook dot com

JtRenegade
July 25th, 2024, 06:02 AM
I'll shoot you an email when I have my tuning laptop with me. Should be later tonight.

K24Madness
July 25th, 2024, 06:05 AM
I'll shoot you an email when I have my tuning laptop with me. Should be later tonight.

Awesome!!! Thanks again!!!

Jim P
July 25th, 2024, 06:10 AM
I was more curious about the deltas some are using between upshifts and downshifts. Also curious about semi locked conditions others are using.

Basically ignore the partial lock to full lock and full lock to partial lock tables, only need to adjust the unlock to partial and partial to unlock. Again, transmission tuning is highly subjective. Personally I prefer full lock upshifts, clutch slip times turned down, delays removed, more aggressive pressure gains and many other things you don’t see in EFILive and I run higher pressure with a valve body build to take higher pressure

JtRenegade
July 25th, 2024, 06:13 AM
Basically ignore the partial lock to full lock and full lock to partial lock tables, only need to adjust the unlock to partial and partial to unlock. Again, transmission tuning is highly subjective. Personally I prefer full lock upshifts, clutch slip times turned down, delays removed, more aggressive pressure gains and many other things you don’t see in EFILive and I run higher pressure with a valve body build to take higher pressure

What do you usually adjust for the higher pressure? I just installed a valve body with billet channel plate to handle higher pressures.

Jim P
July 25th, 2024, 06:19 AM
I have my max pressure for shifts set at 225psi and the max pressure in gear and lockup set at 225psi, pretty certain I raised negative slip control pressure as well

K24Madness
July 25th, 2024, 06:25 AM

I am thinking a VB is a must before I start. Otherwise raising pressures become dicey. Without raising pressures I might not achieve the results I want.

On the other hand what I am really after is delayed shifts so I don't find myself lugging the engine a low RPM's so much.

I didn't realize there's other platforms beside HP Tuners and EFI live for trans tuning. To be honest I'd rather not have to tune it myself but being locked out of my own ECU is a deal breaker for me. I got a lot of enjoyment out of tuning my Audi S6 with Dyno Spectrum/Tuner Studio and I plan to do the same with my truck. I always err on the conservative side if things power wise. I focus on drivability and eager/responsive tunes. Not looking to get into the 9's like some of those other Audi guys.

Jim P
July 25th, 2024, 06:27 AM
Pressure increase is only for tighter clamping pressure on clutches, it’s not gonna do anything for shift speed, that’s a whole other hidden realm in parameters but you can bump up pressure to 170psi and be fine.

Jim P
July 25th, 2024, 06:29 AM
For later shifts you only need to raise the upshift cells till it shifts when you want it to. It uses a factor of 32 so whatever number you put in for output shaft rpm should be evenly divisible by 32, anything inbetween doesn’t exist.

K24Madness
July 25th, 2024, 06:30 AM
Pressure increase is only for tighter clamping pressure on clutches, it’s not gonna do anything for shift speed, that’s a whole other hidden realm in parameters but you can bump up pressure to 170psi and be fine.

That seems conservative enough for me. Just 10psi over stock. Thanks for your help Jim!

Jim P
July 25th, 2024, 06:32 AM
Yeah I wouldn’t go anymore than that otherwise you will get into the realm of getting fractures in the valve body

K24Madness
July 25th, 2024, 06:38 AM
For later shifts you only need to raise the upshift cells till it shifts when you want it to. It uses a factor of 32 so whatever number you put in for output shaft rpm should be evenly divisible by 32, anything in between doesn’t exist.

Was thinking of something like this to start. Eliminating that flat section so it will downshift with less pedal input.

Jim P
July 25th, 2024, 06:52 AM
Downshift tables for downshift, just make sure it doesn’t overlap into the upshifts or it’ll get weird

Jim P
July 25th, 2024, 07:05 AM
What you see in EFILive and hp tuners for transmission parameters is barely scratching the surface of what’s really in there, would be lost for months if you seen it all lol

K24Madness
July 25th, 2024, 07:27 AM
What you see in EFILive and hp tuners for transmission parameters is barely scratching the surface of what’s really in there, would be lost for months if you seen it all lol

I get it. The amount of hexadecimal addresses Dyno Spectrum mapped on C7 Audi is mind boggling yet they haven't scratched the surface of what the crazy Germans programmed.

Jim are you an EFI dealer?

Jim P
July 25th, 2024, 07:31 AM
No im not an EFILive dealer, I do sell tuning on occasion and reverse engineer the Cummins/chrysler code and modify the code when I got some spare time, which has been very little spare time for awhile now. Too many other priorities.

Jim P
July 25th, 2024, 07:45 AM
Will see, maybe soon here I can get some more focus back into the coding and start making some progress again towards my ultimate goal with it

K24Madness
July 25th, 2024, 08:45 AM
No im not an EFILive dealer, I do sell tuning on occasion and reverse engineer the Cummins/chrysler code and modify the code when I got some spare time, which has been very little spare time for awhile now. Too many other priorities.

Will see, maybe soon here I can get some more focus back into the coding and start making some progress again towards my ultimate goal with it

We should talk offline about my needs and if that's something you're willing/able to provide. Shoot me an email to the address above.