PDA

View Full Version : Creating CAX8 files

Cougar281
September 13th, 2024, 09:07 AM
Figured I'd post this here, since there doesn't really seem to be a better place, and try to tag @Blacky.

I was trying to build a CAX8, and was finally successful, but frankly, with zero credit to the 'template' file provided by EFILive. I read that file multiple times, but was unable to create a file that worked using it.

I finally resorted to looking for a cax8 that someone had posted that was in line with what I was looking to make. So I found a Cummins/transmission DTC CAX8 that fit the bill, and from there, with the info I had, I was able to make a CAX8 that works.

For example, this was my first iteration:

After I added a few more, each one had it's own folder and parameters table, which was 'kludgy'. So after some thinking and tinkering, this was my cleanup result:

My suggestion is, in addition to having the long drawn out explanation of everything, which is CERTAINLY not bad to have, include some actual examples of simple things like DTCs, more complex things like tables, etc (with bogus addresses if you want to obfuscate). Using that cax8 that was posted for the Cummins world, I was able to build a functional cax8 for the application I was looking for in the GM world, and in the format that it was posted, it was 'messy', at least how I initially applied it (I'm not sure how it shows up with the controller it was made for), and I was actually able to clean it up. It would be even better if DTC related cax files could be in a separate branch similar to how it's done with EFILIve mapped DTCs, but from what I've gathered, that functionality isn't possible with cax/cax8 files.

Lennydmaxguy
September 13th, 2024, 01:55 PM
I agree that CAX/CAX8 files are way to hard to figure out. In fact, any more I modify files in binary format using Tunerpro, then load them into Efilive, and correct checksums.

Is there any possibility Efilive could make an importer for XDF files? That would be great, as they're so much easier to make.

Omega_5
September 14th, 2024, 02:19 PM
There isn't a lot of information on CAX files, and even less on CAX8 files. Probably for good reason; it's a way to weed out the ones that shouldn't be editing out of scope parameters. With that said, it makes it difficult for those of us that are used to other definition types.

A few pointers;
- Take look in to how enums work. You can set up your enums exactly as you want them, and in whatever order. CAX8 makes is really easy, by declaring them in the header.
- Try playing around with the segment and tree values. You can really customize how and where your custom parameters show up.
- If you want to see how a CAX8 likes it's format, try grabbing a few well known CAX files, and converting them with the built in tool.

For DTC's, they are a massive pain. I got to the point of building an excel file to quickly build up tables, and make them consistent.
For the rest of my definitions, I write most of them in the old CAX format and convert, then tweak after. For others, I write them in TunerPro and convert them using a custom converter that I've been working on.

Lennydmaxguy
September 14th, 2024, 03:14 PM
There isn't a lot of information on CAX files, and even less on CAX8 files. Probably for good reason; it's a way to weed out the ones that shouldn't be editing out of scope parameters. With that said, it makes it difficult for those of us that are used to other definition types.

A few pointers;
- Take look in to how enums work. You can set up your enums exactly as you want them, and in whatever order. CAX8 makes is really easy, by declaring them in the header.
- Try playing around with the segment and tree values. You can really customize how and where your custom parameters show up.
- If you want to see how a CAX8 likes it's format, try grabbing a few well known CAX files, and converting them with the built in tool.

For DTC's, they are a massive pain. I got to the point of building an excel file to quickly build up tables, and make them consistent.
For the rest of my definitions, I write most of them in the old CAX format and convert, then tweak after. For others, I write them in TunerPro and convert them using a custom converter that I've been working on.

Are you saying you have a converter for XDF files? If so, I'm interested!

Omega_5
September 14th, 2024, 04:09 PM
It's a work in progress, but yes, an XDF can be converted to a CAX.

Lennydmaxguy
September 14th, 2024, 11:31 PM
It's a work in progress, but yes, an XDF can be converted to a CAX.If you're willing to sell a copy of it, I'd like to buy it.

Omega_5
September 19th, 2024, 03:09 AM
If you're willing to sell a copy of it, I'd like to buy it.

Free for use;
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?31612-XDF-to-CAX-Converter