PDA

View Full Version : Auto VE smoothing question

Redline Motorsports
August 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM
We'll I hate to admit but I finally got a chance to use the AutoVE tuning Sunday. Its a 04' GTO ProCharged 377. I followed the tutorial and got the car to idle pretty decent. The "quick" tune we threw in a couple weeks ago was real lean in the cruising area. This was evident by the LTRIMs being 18-20 % everywhere. The 15 % I dumped on the VE table to start out with got used up pretty quick and the BEN values where too far off.

I have a load dyno so I ran the car through fixed rpms ranges along the KPA scale. I just kept motor in each cell until I saw 50 counts. Most of the BEN factors where either 8 % rich or 8 % lean all the way to 4500 rpm and 90 KPA. The car started getting real hot in the upper load and rpm ranges so I stopped.

The couple questions I have are;

Once you get to 4500-5000 do you really need to continue load and BEN those areas. Or can you just blend up a ways as PE is not too far away? These high strung motors really get warm with that much load that long.

As is normal with a VE tune, there are a few nasty spikes in the map. Can I take the spike and change the value to one that seems to fit within the surrounding cells? Kind of blended?

What is the proper way to use the smoothing feature?

If the engine is idling decent throughout the VE tuning it would make sense to dial it in once the VE is done and the MAF is re-enabled. Yes?

How do you know when you have reached the point where the PE Modifier by RPM is becoming active? I know for AVE tuning it is set to 14.63 flat line for starting.

This is a boosted motor so anything over 105 KPA is just PE fudging anyway.

Lots of questions!

Thanks

Howard

TAQuickness
August 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM
Howard. Rather than smoothing, I would suggest updating the tune with your initial BEN factors, then making another pass on the dyno. The spike's tend to be a result of the PCM interpolating between cells, real life demands of the engine, or a little of both.

PE is flat lined in the tutorial to provide a consistant means of fueling for WOT. Much like having DFCO disabled for more consistant values while decelerating. Both are conditional run conditions and can induce undesirable data during the transistions.

Redline Motorsports
August 21st, 2006, 03:49 PM
Do you mean hit the same cells again to for the latest BEN value? Or go back to earlier passes and multiply them again?

TAQuickness
August 21st, 2006, 03:54 PM
re-run the ben's. first pass should rough the table in, second pass will help to smooth it out. <- not the same as using the tune tools smoothing

nitrorocket
August 22nd, 2006, 06:02 AM
Another good trick is... after you log, correct with bens a couple times, lower or raise the cells dirrectly outside the cells you have been getting logged data on. Make them "blend" away from the numbers you now havbe in your updated VE map. This will help it run smoother as well as eliminate spikes due to the computer trying to interpolate something like a 40% cell variance.