PDA

View Full Version : Installed vehicular CDR disclosure is now mandated.

emarkay
August 22nd, 2006, 04:43 AM
"The government will not require recorders in autos but said on Monday that car makers must tell consumers when technology that tracks speed, braking and other measurements is in the new vehicles they buy..."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060822/us_nm/autos_recorders_dc

Still think this is a niche market of great potential...

nitrorocket
August 22nd, 2006, 04:54 AM
Somewhat pointless except to point blame! Basically I see this as an opportunity to void factory warrantys and or ticket people somehow based on the recorders findings.

joecar
August 22nd, 2006, 05:04 AM
"Big brother is watching you..."

nitrorocket
August 22nd, 2006, 05:35 AM
Me??:shock:

joecar
August 22nd, 2006, 06:55 AM
Me??:shock:No not you, I was just quoting from the book "1984" which was written in 1948.

Tydriver
August 22nd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Big Brutha has been watching for a while...

There was an article in C&D a couple of months ago, dealing with a guy that rented a car at Avis/Hertz/National wherever ( I dont recall).. Anyhow he opted for the optional GPS system and when he returned the car there were additional fees (like in excess of 300$)... They rental agency provided records of the GPS logs showing the car in excess of 80+ mph and they considered it abusive and charged him extra because of it... Last I read it was in court as he was fighting it.

Highlander
August 22nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
IT was the same reason OBDIII was scrapped... because its really a way of knowing where you are at all times.. Corruption in the government can lead to having ANYONE be found... Period. and there is ALWAYS corruption to any level and degree... most people have a price... and if one doesn't somebody else will ....

I rather not let anyone know where i am unless i want to. Period.

Its abusive and its just one step further to loosing democracy and freedom.

TAQuickness
August 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
time to stock up on ls1 pcms

dc_justin
August 22nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
GM has been installing these things since the mid-90s :eek:

This was a big topic on silveradoss.com a few days ago and one member brought up a situation where one was used in an accident investigation where the drivers at fault claimed to be going 55. They pulled the recorded and it showed well over 100 and the two drivers were charged with murder and accepted manslaughter pleas...

emarkay
August 31st, 2006, 04:53 AM
Just a further FYI.

Data Elements to be Recorded if an EDR is Installed
* Longitudinal acceleration
* Maximum delta-V
* Speed, vehicle indicated
* Engine RPM
* Engine throttle, percent full
* Service brake, on/off
* Ignition cycle, crash
* Ignition cycle, download
* Safety belt status, driver
* Frontal air bag warning lamp, on/off
* Frontal air bag deployment level, driver
* Frontal air bag deployment level, right front passenger
* Frontal air bag deployment, time to deploy, in the case of a single-stage air bag, or time to first-stage deployment, in the case of a multistage air bag, driver
* Frontal air bag deployment, time to deploy, in the case of a single stage air bag, or time to first-stage deployment, in the case of a multi-stage air bag, right front passenger
* Multievent, number of events (1,2,3)
* Time from event 1 to 2
* Time from event 1 to 3
* Complete file recorded (yes, no)
* Lateral acceleration
* Normal acceleration
* Vehicle roll angle
* ABS activity (engaged, non-engaged)
* Stability control status, on, off, engaged
* Steering input (steering wheel angle)
* Safety belt status, right front passenger (buckled, not buckled)
* Frontal air bag suppression switch status, right front passenger (on, off or auto)
* Frontal air bag deployment, time to Nth stage, driver
* Frontal air bag deployment, time to Nth stage, right front passenger
* Frontal air bag deployment, Nth stage disposal, Driver, Y/N (whether the Nth stage deployment was for occupant restraint or propellant disposal purposes)
(Information source: NHTSA)

MRK

joecar
August 31st, 2006, 05:34 AM
Sounds like material to be used for finger pointing.

Trippin
August 31st, 2006, 06:35 AM
No not you, I was just quoting from the book "1984" which was written in 1948.

In that book he talks about the power of the Cathode Ray and everyone being a slave to it.

I somtimes wonder if he actually did travel to the future and saw everyone staring at computers and misinterpeted it for televisions. :Eyecrazy: