PDA

View Full Version : RR related

Doc
August 23rd, 2006, 04:06 PM
As some of you have seen in another thread I posted up some pics of a jumper that I am using to tune 98s with my RR. This is a copy of a response to a couple of questions that I thought I would share and see if it sparks some more thought, conversation.

Cheers

xxx,
That was the original intent of the effort. The spacing is very limited in the factory location and unfortuneatly I don't believe the female connectors even exist for resale by themselves, hence the need for a pcm cadaver which presents challenges in that meager amount of space for the jumper and the pcm. This was only a prototype and the experiment evolved as I will explain.
I am rebuilding my motor right now(forged bottom end), for that matter I am redoing the whole car. Full UMI suspension, Moser 9in rear+3.73 gears, Tranny refresh and new stall (3k to 3.5k), battery relocation, 98PCM upgrade to 2k. This is stage one. I have grown impatient with the whole deal as all the aforementioned parts are now in my garage and I want to get back to the track asap. I am right in the middle of the pcm connector swap now. Stage two is going to be twin turbos. Prior to solidifying stage two's layout I was considering using the cable by cutting a hole in the back of the passenger stb and routing the wires up above the fenderwell plastic and relocating the pcm to the batt location. I thought it would have been a nifty place to have a polished pcm. However, I do believe a turbo would pop off quite nicely in that location and have the other in place of the abs module that is going by by. With the evolution of that idea and after having several 98s come to my shop in the last few weeks looking for tuning H/Cs I thought that wouldn't it be nice to be able to use the RR to speed up the tunes on the dyno? At this point though if Geoff and Craig come out with a RR for 98s then that would be just as economical if it is in the same price range as the current 99+up RR. The cable took many hours to create, however if the demand was/is great enough it could be made quicker. From my local, albeit small, sample of guys w/98s none of them really seemed interested in buying something like it, they just wanted their cars tuned.
:notacrook: