PDA

View Full Version : Logging question for the programmers???

nitrorocket
August 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM
What causes skipped logged cells? For instance, I do a log run and review it, but not all the cells are filled and some have lower cell counts then they should. I will drive for 20 minutes and only have cell counts of 1-60 or so depending on the cell. I can idel for 15 minutes and only get a cell count of 30 in thoses cells??

Any ideas??

TAQuickness
August 24th, 2006, 12:46 AM
are you sure there are no filters or "hide low cell counts" applied?

nitrorocket
August 24th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I would have to check, but I don't think so. I have all the logging speeds turned up as high as they will go along with the logging rate turned up to like 800. I have not noticed any improvement from any changes I have tried. The most critical area I want to log, is the most scattered. That is the boost AFR and timing. Iwas thinking it was because the car revs so fast it was blowing by cells, but the pcm uses every cell to get to where it is going.... So every cell I pass should have logegd data! Hmmm. It's just like every cell does not get logged, it will skip a bunch?

nitrorocket
August 24th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Maybe the laptop is not fast enough to log every cell?? But should'nt the Blackblox be the one catching the cells and transferring them to the laptop? I can see maybe some kind of delay from having an old laptop, but all cells should still get logged, correct??

SSpdDmon
August 24th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Are those PID's set to "priority 1?" If so, I'd point to the laptop. Some laptops have energy saving settings that slow down the processing speed and other operations to conserve battery power. Maybe it's not reading the USB as fast as it would if it were plugged in? I've noticed the same thing while riding in my friend's car. He hit's it and the guages kind of stick (like someone hit pause). A second later the data shows up (like someone hit fast forward). Then it's logging at normal speed. I get these pauses more frequently under heavy throttle conditions. I wonder if there's a correlation?

joecar
August 24th, 2006, 03:03 AM
I would have to check, but I don't think so. I have all the logging speeds turned up as high as they will go along with the logging rate turned up to like 800. I have not noticed any improvement from any changes I have tried. The most critical area I want to log, is the most scattered. That is the boost AFR and timing. Iwas thinking it was because the car revs so fast it was blowing by cells, but the pcm uses every cell to get to where it is going.... So every cell I pass should have logegd data! Hmmm. It's just like every cell does not get logged, it will skip a bunch?nitro,
where did you set the logging rate...?
are you logging in BB mode or laptop mode...?

nitrorocket
August 24th, 2006, 03:20 AM
I have it set to priority 1.

I went under logging in scan tool ans increased the logging rate in increments from 50 to 800, really made no difference.

I keep the laptop plugged in through an inverter and log through the laptop. Maybe I am logging too many pids?? I think I have 25-30, somewhere in there.

Would logging in the bb and then read the info after a run be more solid?? The only downside is I like to keep an eye on the log while I am driving.:doh:

SSpdDmon
August 24th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Keep # of channels at or below 24, which can mean ~18 PIDs.

Dirk Diggler
August 24th, 2006, 04:15 AM
And the next time you are logging hit CTRL + Y to see how many frames per second you are capturing max is around 10 fps. If you are loggin that many pids you are slowing your speeds down as well keep the number of channels to 24 or less and you will get max fps

nitrorocket
August 24th, 2006, 05:02 AM
If the max is 10 frames per second, then it is possible I could blow right past some cells while logging under full power. I can go from 105 kps to 230 kpa pretty much instantly! I will have to check the rate like you said.

SSpdDmon
August 24th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Well, yeah. You're not going to hit every cell unless you're trying to. I'd drive the car like you normally would and focus on the cells you hit before going after surrounding cells. Even then, some cells are impossible unless under extreme conditions.

TAQuickness
August 24th, 2006, 05:34 AM
maybe he drives between 105 and 230 normally :D

Nitro - I can easily blow past many areas of the map under sudden transistions NA. Care to post a log in question?

nitrorocket
August 24th, 2006, 05:38 AM
I will ty to post a log. Never done that before, but basically data is being logged in every cell creating a "link" of cells accross the map. When I am under full throttle, It will log a cell at lets say 95 kpa & 2500 rpm and then another cell at 120 kpa and 3000 rpm, then another cell at 145 kpa and 4500 rpm and so on. I want to log every cell that I am passing by otherwise I don't know what is going on on the other cells. Also, I don't have a whole lot of room on the street to keep logging in the boost map! So every log has to count...you know?

Dirk Diggler
August 24th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Copy and fill works great for stuff like this also

TAQuickness
August 24th, 2006, 05:47 AM
I will ty to post a log. Never done that before, but basically data is being logged in every cell creating a "link" of cells accross the map. When I am under full throttle, It will log a cell at lets say 95 kpa & 2500 rpm and then another cell at 120 kpa and 3000 rpm, then another cell at 145 kpa and 4500 rpm and so on. I want to log every cell that I am passing by otherwise I don't know what is going on on the other cells. Also, I don't have a whole lot of room on the street to keep logging in the boost map! So every log has to count...you know?

I hear ya. I run out of roads alot. I really need to get the hover-car conversion done.

Could be time to upgrade to a RR for the higher speed logging.

joecar
August 24th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I will ty to post a log. Never done that before, but basically data is being logged in every cell creating a "link" of cells accross the map. When I am under full throttle, It will log a cell at lets say 95 kpa & 2500 rpm and then another cell at 120 kpa and 3000 rpm, then another cell at 145 kpa and 4500 rpm and so on. I want to log every cell that I am passing by otherwise I don't know what is going on on the other cells. Also, I don't have a whole lot of room on the street to keep logging in the boost map! So every log has to count...you know?This is why you may need dyno time, where the dyno can hold a particular RPM with load so the MAP can be recorded (i.e. incrementally going from cell to cell).

Otherwise your 1000HP engine is just going to spin up so fast, it's jumping straight from the low cells to the high cells.

Dirk Diggler
August 24th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Yup I agree sounds like you need an eddy current dyno this way you can keep a constant load on the car and go through the cells step by step although you wont want to do that either because of IAT's

nitrorocket
August 24th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Is there a way to eliminate all other pids or something to allow me to log all continuous cells without skipping a bunch. Can I somehow log faster then 10 per second??? There are some cells under WOT in the boost map that I have NEVER seen what is in them because they are always skipped!:bash:

EFILIVE, Is there something that can be done to get around this problem?? It is very important when trying to make a over 1000 hp on 93 octane, I need all the data I can get on whatever I am logging.

Dirk Diggler
August 24th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Lol I am pretty sure 10 fps is fast enough for you to tune your car and this is the limitation of the PCM hardware nothing can be done about it. Take a step back and
1. Reduce the amount of pids you are loggin only use the ones you NEED
2. Roll into the throttle to try and hit the cells you are looking for but chances are you prolly wont ever see them when you are driving the car normally
3. Make positively sure you dont have minimum cell count required befor ethe scanner shows the cells if you do it will APPEAR the scanner has skipped these fields but in actuality the user has filterred them out.
4. When all else fails Paul has added a nice feature which allows you to copy and fill cells that werent hit. Beleive me this will more than make up for you not actually hitting the cell.

Please follow these directions and log the car again and tell us your findings. I bet it wont be to much more of a concern after following the suggestions given to you by other people in this thread

nitrorocket
August 24th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I will have to look at that stuff tonight... Also, what would cause this? I will run 2 or 3 blasts into boost, but the cell count for all boost cells(which is only a few cause not all actually log) the cell count will usually only remain at 1?? I did notice that cell counts are less with the latest software versus the 1st version. But then again, my car was alot slower, I was only running 200 kpa.