PDA

View Full Version : EFI Tune and Scan Wish

dbaxter_ss
March 24th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Hey Blacky just a WISH

Could you please have EFI flash and/or Tune automatically create a directory named after the VIN?

So if I connect via Scan or Tune when it reads the VIN, it checks if the directory exists under the logged data, if so then it would save or ask to open all scans and/or tunes from that associated car into that directory.

This way when I have several cars that I am tuning ( yes I know name the files or do the same for myself, which is what I am doing now) but this way the software automatically makes sure you're using that cars tunes and if logging saves to that cars directory. Since the VIN is different on all cars there is no way 2 john smiths or 2 gtos would get confused. Mainly since several times I have been logging one car, went into tune which loaded the last file, and unfortunately stupid me did not notice I was reading a log from my SS but making changes to my GTOs tune. :( Then had to go back and reverse or undo everything I just did.

Hate to use the term but "dummy proof" the software.

:D

Steve Bryant
March 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I understand the point of your post. You want EFILive to pick-up on the family resemblance right away via the VIN. I don't know whether it can be done or not, you've addressed your request to the right person. However, I do want to mention that I think that any time you modify and save a tune, do a save as and number it sequentially. That way, if you make a mistake, you can go back one or two sequential iterations and you don't have to try and undo anything. For instance if you have GTO Tune 1.tun and the next generation of change you Save As: GTO Tune 2.tun and so on, you'll be set. This way even if you are doing something to one vehicle and you save the tune to another vehicle it wouldn't matter, just delete the bogus .tun file and go back to a known good state at a previous iteration. The Save As convention only makes you increment the number. Once you get used to doing this it may keep you out of trouble and have several fall-back positions.

All my best,

Steve

dbaxter_ss
March 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I understand about the sequentially numbering the tunes. This was more about accidentially loading a different cars tune by accident since they all were in the same directory ( or could be default ) if I didn't make my own directories.

I would think this would make bigger shops much easier to keep tunes organized. Heck even us little guys.

OH YAH!!! Now that I am thinking about it from the above OOPS.
One other thing.

Is there a way to put a pop up when scan and tune are up together to say.

THIS TUNE AND LOG FILE ARE FROM DIFFERENT CARS, Continue Yes/No. Basically seeing that the vins from the scan and tune are not the same???

That would also make life just a bit easier.

VortechC5
March 25th, 2005, 02:48 AM
I think that this would be a nice feature.

I have started separating out my tune files and log files into separate sub-directories by customer/vehicle so that I can keep them straight. I also version my tune files and put comments in detailing the changes made. This makes it is easy to undo a change and to remember what you changed.

Blacky
March 27th, 2005, 08:41 PM
THIS TUNE AND LOG FILE ARE FROM DIFFERENT CARS, Continue Yes/No. Basically seeing that the vins from the scan and tune are not the same???

Good idea, I'm adding it to the list of enhancements for the next release.
Paul

Delco
March 28th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Paul

It may be a good idea for a single user but when you are using the proffesional version and doing lots of cars it is not such a good idea to fragment up the data so much , you will find its better to use a proepr naming convention and stik to it , efilive will then tack on the 0001,etc to the end and you can track the tunes quite easily.

Blacky
March 28th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Paul

It may be a good idea for a single user but when you are using the proffesional version and doing lots of cars it is not such a good idea to fragment up the data so much , you will find its better to use a proepr naming convention and stik to it , efilive will then tack on the 0001,etc to the end and you can track the tunes quite easily.

The good idea was not to split up the data into folders - that was mentioned but not what I responded to.

The good idea was when you are analysing linked data, get EFILive to compare the VIN in the *.efi file and the VIN in the *.tun file and if they are different display a warning.

That would help prevent the mistake of tuning one calibration based on the linked info from another vehicle.

Regards
Paul

dbaxter_ss
March 31st, 2005, 09:29 AM
How about a check box that if you want this to be automatically done?
This way both worlds are happy :D

Blacky
March 31st, 2005, 01:09 PM
Done.

You can now specifiy two templates in the Properties->Folders tab page:

1. To define the foldername
2. To define the filename

If you leave the foldername template blank then EFILive saves log files as normal.

If you specify a foldername template name then EFILive will create the corresponding subfolder and store the log file in that sub folder.

Regards
Paul

dbaxter_ss
March 31st, 2005, 01:21 PM
Sweet!!
:)

VortechC5
March 31st, 2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks, Paul. That will be very useful to me.

Mark