PDA

View Full Version : Module Licensing question

Cougar281
August 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
How does the Flashscan cable "marry" to the module it's programming (ECM/TCM)? Does it read the serial number off the module, or mark it somewhere? The reason I ask is when I buy EFI, I'd like to get a second ECM & TCM and keep my originals "untouched" by EFILive in the event I need to take the truck into the dealer for something (and to have a backup). If it just remembers the serial number, I might consider using my current ECM & TCM until I can get extras. If it marks them, I might look into getting extras before I tune with EFI.

Black02SS
August 28th, 2006, 02:20 PM
For you to have backups, you would have to license each TCM/ECM. If you have to go to the dealer, I would just reflash it back to stock and save the cash on extra modules. JMO

wait4me
August 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM
You will need to buy a license for any tcm, ecm you use. It locks to several things. You can read anything though without using up a license i believe. So you would be able to transfer your Current pcm tun file to the new computers. I have several computers/tcms in stock if you need to get some ill cut you a good deal. :)

wait4me
August 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM
You beat me Chad!

Cougar281
August 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
You will need to buy a license for any tcm, ecm you use. It locks to several things. You can read anything though without using up a license i believe. So you would be able to transfer your Current pcm tun file to the new computers. I have several computers/tcms in stock if you need to get some ill cut you a good deal. :)

That's basically what I was thinking.Read my current ECM/TCM, flash them into the replacements, and run with the replacements unless I need to take it into a dealer.

Black02SS
August 28th, 2006, 02:33 PM
You beat me Chad!
:muahaha:Just by a little.

joecar
August 28th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Cougar,

EFILive doesn't mark the ECM/TCM; the FlashScan cable remembers (forever) the serial number(s) of the module(s).

Cougar281
August 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Cougar,

EFILive doesn't mark the ECM/TCM; the FlashScan cable remembers (forever) the serial number(s) of the module(s).

Thanks, That's the explanation I was looking for.

Dave