PDA

View Full Version : No interface cable found

foxySS
September 1st, 2006, 06:35 PM
Hello, I just received a new laptop from dell today so I figured I would try and hookup the software to the truck. Version 7.? Just received the software last week.

It will not connect at all. I keep trying and it just says "no interface cable found" and error code 31.

I used the search and tried just about every option over and over- even installing the drivers over again through the link provided in one of those threads. I did everything as directed.

Nothing works.

I finally just tried using add/remove hardware and removed the EFI software and the driver below it. I did this on both of my computers and now neither computer will recognize the interface at all. Where it used to be twice and show new hardware, now it beeps three times and no message pops up about a usb device. It will not recognize it at all. I think my interface is bad.

I'm getting a real headache now. :x Any suggestions?

Tordne
September 1st, 2006, 07:01 PM
Are you using Windows XP? If so check in Device Manager and make sure that you can see the interface when it is plugged in. It should show as FlashScan FSP or something like that.

foxySS
September 1st, 2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah since I reinstalled it wasn't recognizing the usb interface. However, I fixed the problem and now it's back to it's back to it's old self. It acts like it's going to work and when I try and connect to the vehicle it just says interface not found; code 31.

I did a trouble log and this is what came up: Error report generated by EFILive at 01:48:09 on Sep 02, 2006

Error code: ERR_NOCABLE/31
No interface cable found.

EFILive Version: 7.3.2 (Build 416)

Platform: Windows XP
Version: 5.1 (build 2600)
Processor type: Pentium 1596MHz

Directories
Temporary Cache: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Temporary cache
Logged Data: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Logged data
Customers: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Customers
Configuration: C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Configuration
Exported Data: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Exported data
Images: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Images
Sounds: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Sounds
Maps: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Maps
Pids: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\PIDs
Virtual Dash: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\VDash
Print Reports: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Print reports
Bug Reports: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Fox\My Documents\EFILive\V7\Bug reports

Connected: No
Com port: 0
Com setup:
Requested baud rate: 115200

Cable id: 0
Cable code:
Cable desc:
Cable version:
Cable Firmware date:
Cable model:
Cable Serial number:

Protocols: 0
Protocol list:

Auto connect: No
Scan OBDII info: No

Error retries: 1
Retry delay: 10
Message throttle: 0

Most recently used VIN: 2GCEK19N031xxxxxx (Note: 1)

PCM information
Unknown: Unknown
Stream-Slow scan mode: Unknown
Stream-Fast scan mode: Unknown
Maximum dynamic packets: Unknown

Detected modules:
$10="Powertrain Control Module (PCM)"
$29="Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)"
$40="Body Control Module (BCM) or Dash Integration Module (DIM)"
$58="Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)"
$60="Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)"
$98="HVAC Control Module"
$A0="Driver Door Module (DDM)"
$A1="Front Passenger Door Module (FPDM)"
$A6="Driver Seat Module (DSM)"

Selected parameters:

Most recent communication with vehicle:

Report ID: 205213 (Note: 2)

Notes:
(1) The VIN sequence number is not required for this report and for your privacy it is NOT included in this report.

(2)The report ID is a checksum of the report text and is used to verify the integrity of the report.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tordne
September 1st, 2006, 09:04 PM
From the Tune Tool what happens when the interface is connected to the computer and you go to the Help menu and choose FlashScan PCM Licensing?

This should query the cable and tell you the used/free PCM slots etc.

Also perhaps try setting the cable type in the Scan Tool to V1 and disable Scan All Cable Types

joecar
September 2nd, 2006, 06:08 AM
Do you have the cable's serial number and software key entered (Help->Register EFILive)...?

foxySS
September 2nd, 2006, 06:56 AM
Do you have the cable's serial number and software key entered (Help->Register EFILive)...?

Yes, all entered correctly.

joecar
September 2nd, 2006, 07:15 AM
foxy,

I pm'd Paul/Backy so it will get his attention.

BTW: and welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Joe
:)

TAQuickness
September 2nd, 2006, 07:32 AM
BTW: and welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Joe
:)

Welcome aboard!

For the sake of killing time, have you tried un-installing EFILive, deleting the EFILive registry entries, then downloading (http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx) and performing a clean install of the latest version?

foxySS
September 2nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks Joe.

Welcome aboard!

For the sake of killing time, have you tried un-installing EFILive, deleting the EFILive registry entries, then downloading (http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx) and performing a clean install of the latest version?

I used the add/remove software in the control panel to unistall and then tried reinstalling from the CD. I might try downloading from the internet and seeing what happens.

Thanks.

Chris

joecar
September 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Also, you can give this a try after uninstalling and before reinstalling from web (edit: as TA suggested):

showpost.php?p=27842&postcount=4 (http://www.forum.efilive.com/showpost.php?p=27842&postcount=4)

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
From the Tune Tool what happens when the interface is connected to the computer and you go to the Help menu and choose FlashScan PCM Licensing?

This should query the cable and tell you the used/free PCM slots etc.

Also perhaps try setting the cable type in the Scan Tool to V1 and disable Scan All Cable Types

Tordne, I chose the Flash PCM licensing from the tune tool. At first it said something about not being able to connect then I refreshed and everything came up as normal.

How do I set the cable type to V1? I tried looking for it but could not find menu for that. I'll try and search for a way to do it in the mean time. Thanks.

:cheers:

Chris

Tordne
September 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM
EDIT: Screen shot in post below.

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Tordne, it says I do not have access to the screenshot link you provided. Thanks.

Chris

Tordne
September 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
OOPS, that was posted in a special thread ;). I'll reports below:

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM
BTW, this is what it showed on the summary screen last time I tried connecting.

Summary
Supported parameters available 287
Validated modules available 9
System readiness test (EPA) Incomplete
Specifically monitored tests Not checked yet
O2 sensors tests Not checked yet
Diagnostic trouble codes Not checked yet
History freeze frames Not checked yet
Stream-Slow scan mode Supported
Stream-Fast scan mode Supported
Maximum dynamic packets 16

PCM

System Readiness Tests Results
MIL Status MIL_OFF
Number Of Emission-Related Trouble Codes N/A
Misfire Monitoring Ready
Fuel System Monitoring Ready
Comprehensive Component Monitoring Ready
Catalyst Ready
Heated Catalyst Not Supported
Evaporative Purge System Not Ready
Secondary Air System Not Supported
A/C System Refrigerant Not Supported
Oxygen Sensor Ready
Oxygen sensor Heater Ready
EGR System Not Supported

Specifically Monitored Systems Tests Results

Oxygen Sensors Tests Results

Diagnostic Trouble Codes

History data

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
So I change the controller ID and the Scan tool ID to what you have also?

Tordne
September 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
It maybe that the version of software I have is newer, so the screen may look different.

All you should need to change is the preferred cable type, and uncheck the "Scan all cable types" box.

Incidently.. Did you try the Help->PCM Licnesng in the Tune Tool at all?

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I tried the help- pcm licensing in the tune tool. Everything popped up as normal: the serial number, pcm licenses....

BTW, the screen looks pretty much the same but I also have the controller ID and Scan tool ID just like you. My controller ID says $10 PCM and my Scan tool ID says $F1

Oh yeah, preffered cable type was set to V1 but scan all cable types was checked. I'll try turning it off.

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
sitting in the truck right now. Still not working. The OBD light is flashing on the interface but no USB light.

Tordne
September 3rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
Thats is just so weird... If the Scan Tool was able to read the interface the USB connectivity you would have to assume is probably OK.

What sort of truck is it (year, make, model, motor etc? What Operating System? And do you know that it is a supported vehicle?

Can you read the tune out with the Tune Tool?

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Well I had the old scan only with the serial connection and it worked fine which is really wierd.

My truck is a 2003 Chev Silverado SS w/ 6.0. I' m not sure of the operating system. I saw it the other day I can't remember where and I'm not connected to the truck right now though.

I haven't tried reading the tune with the tune tool yet. It's a tuned PCM from PCMforLess.

Tordne
September 3rd, 2006, 12:53 PM
OK. So the truck should be fine, supported by the fact you have used the Scan Tool with what I guess was an AutoTap cable?

I'll send a link to this thread to the other Mods and see what we can get going for ya.

Tordne
September 3rd, 2006, 01:08 PM
PM sent to the other moderators, and I also included Paul/Ross. Paul and Ross are hidden away working feverishly on the LS2 stuff, but hopefully some more fresh eyes on the job will have you working soon.

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah I used it with an autotap cable. The scan software I bought used from someone on another site. Since the guy I bought it from already upgraded to FlashScan, I just purchased a brand new personal flashscan (not upgrade) with the new cable and everything.

Thanks Tordne, this is getting really frustrating.

joecar
September 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
Foxy,

We need you to do the following with your V1 cable connected to your vehicle...

We need you to post screenshots of the following:
a. Help->Register EFILive from Scan Tool
b. Help->Register EFILive from Tune Tool
c. Help->FlashScan PCM Licensing

Click on the connect button in the scan tool;
on the Console tab in the Scan Tool, do:
click inside text area,
Ctrl-A (highlights all the text),
right-click and copy,
paste into Notepad.exe,
save to file,
attach this file to your reply.

Thanks
Joe

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Okay, will do. Not quite sure how to take screenshots though.

joecar
September 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Okay, will do. Not quite sure how to take screenshots though.Can do this: showthread.php?t=3064 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3064)

If you don't want to host your image, you can upload it directly to the forum by pressing the Manage Attachments (may have to press Go Advanced first) in your reply (press Browse, find image, and press Upload, then finish your reply).

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Okay, here they are:

and here's the copy of the console log:

21:07:25.765: EFILive V7 Version V7.3.2 (Build 416)
21:07:27.687: Ready.

21:08:22.484: Scanning for EFILive FlashScan Cable (USB)
21:08:22.500: Autodetect interface ...
21:08:22.593: Connection to [FSP] interface is OK
21:08:22.625: Autodetect OBD II protocol...
21:08:22.671: Connection to vehicle is OK
21:08:22.703: Interface firmware model: FSP
21:08:22.718: Interface firmware version: 1.2.17
21:08:22.750: Interface firmware date: Jan 18, 2005
21:08:22.765: FlashScan serial number: 003574xxxxxx
21:08:22.843: Request GM VIN...
21:08:22.968: VIN: 2GCEK19N031xxxxxx
21:08:22.968: Request serial number...
21:08:23.093: Serial number: 0KA009X83176
21:08:23.093: Request hardware nubner...
21:08:23.140: Hardware: 12583659
21:08:23.140: Request GM operating system...
21:08:23.187: GM operating system: 12593058
21:08:23.187: Request GM NVM...
21:08:23.234: GM NVM: 12586860
21:08:23.250: Request GM Engine calibration...
21:08:23.281: Request GM Engine diagnostics...
21:08:23.343: Request GM Transmission calibration...
21:08:23.390: Request GM Transmission diagnostics...
21:08:23.421: Request GM Fuel system...
21:08:23.468: Request GM System...
21:08:23.531: Request GM Speedometer...
21:08:23.578: Request GM BCC...
21:08:23.609: GM BCC: YFRC
21:08:23.625: Request GM VAT Cycles...
21:08:23.656: GM VAT cycles: 0
21:08:23.671: Request GM oil life...
21:08:23.703: Oil life: 23
21:08:23.718: Query support for stream.01 scan mode...
21:08:23.890: Query support for stream.02 scan mode...
21:08:24.109: Calculating number of dynamic packet ID's...
21:08:25.031: Loading generic configuration file: sae_generic.txt
21:08:25.031: User defined calculated PIDs file: calc_pids.txt
21:08:25.046: Enhanced configuration file: gm_enhanced.prn
21:08:25.484: Request GM VIN...
21:08:25.609: VIN: 2GCEK19N031xxxxxx
21:08:25.609: Request GM operating system...
21:08:25.656: GM operating system: 12593058
21:08:25.687: Validating PIDs...
21:08:25.875: Validating Modules...
21:08:25.906: Initialising PIDs...
21:08:26.062: Initialising Modules...
21:08:26.078: Ready.

joecar
September 3rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Ok, I saw your screenshots, they look ok...

I removed them because they contained you s/w license key (sorry, my bad, I should have ask you to blot out a portion of the license key... :doh:)

The Tune Tool PCM license window shows that the Tune Tool can read the serial number from the FlashScan (and it shows you still have 2 unused PCM licenses).

The console log shows successful comms between FlashScan and PCM.

So now it's working... right...?

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
That's the wierd thing. It looks like it's connected but when I go into the dashboard or try and look at the PID's they aren't doing anything. That's when I have the monitor button pressed as well.

Then when I go to refresh system results and a few other things I tried (I can't remember which,) it usually says no cable and it keeps trying to reconnect. Every time it's unsucessful. I don't know. :nixweiss:

joecar
September 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
That's the wierd thing. It looks like it's connected but when I go into the dashboard or try and look at the PID's they aren't doing anything. That's when I have the monitor button pressed as well.

Then when I go to refresh system results and a few other things I tried (I can't remember which,) it usually says no cable and it keeps trying to reconnect. Every time it's unsucessful. I don't know. :nixweiss:Can you save the console log when connection fails, and post that (xxxxxx out the last 6 digits of your vin in the log).

foxySS
September 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
You know,it appears to be working now. I just tried reconnecting and it hasn't had the same problems. Not sure what exactly I did but it's not disconnecting all the time now. Hopefully it keeps working. Thank You so much for all the help guys! :master: :cheers:

Tordne
September 3rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
Glad to hear you are having some success. We're all here to help :)

joecar
September 3rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
You know,it appears to be working now. I just tried reconnecting and it hasn't had the same problems. Not sure what exactly I did but it's not disconnecting all the time now. Hopefully it keeps working. Thank You so much for all the help guys! :master: :cheers:Cool... :cheers:

Any time it doesn't connect, just whip us a copy of the console log.

Joe :beer: