PDA

View Full Version : Shift Light in 2k F-Body?

Garry
September 3rd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Just seen the Shift Light options ... does that mean I can hook up a line directly to the PCM and control the RPM via EFIlive config?

If so, what settings are good (I usually shift around 5500-5700) and what technical specs are there to hook something up?

Garry
September 24th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Hm .. nobody?

Description in EFILive is:

Enable the PCM shift light output (J2,pin47), if not then send message to upshift on data bus if {B5814} "(not available in this operating system)" is enabled.
(entry B5817)

So, if I hook up a cable to this pin, do I get a logic "high" (12V?) when the light is to be lit?

Read up at different places, seems like the output is used on the A4:

47 YEL/BLK 1223 Transmission Shift Solenoid B

TAQuickness
September 24th, 2006, 05:05 AM
i think it may be applicable in the camaro or any other car that has a shit light

Garry
September 24th, 2006, 05:10 AM
I haven't seen any stock shift light in a Camaro or Firebird yet ... but if the PCM has it, I figure it should be possible to add ... I guess I might check it out sometime ... maybe next weekend ... anything to watch out for when disassembling the PCM assembly?

Tordne
September 24th, 2006, 06:08 AM
There is a shift light used in some HSV (Holden) vehicles. I'd be interested in this aslo :)

Garry
September 24th, 2006, 06:17 AM
hm ... I checked some of the HSV files on HoldenCrazy, but none seemed to have any settings for shift lights included ... !?

Tordne
September 24th, 2006, 07:27 AM
2004 HSV GTS Manual ;)

Garry
September 24th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Tnx! ;)

Guess I'll just check out that pin first and see if it is working as expected in my 2k ... good to have some reference as to values to enter in the tables afterwards ...

Tordne
September 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Let me know what you find mate. I'd be real keen to wire one into the PCM as well!!!

TAQuickness
September 24th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Anyone know what US bound LS1 based vehicles actually had the light? I can look up the PCM pin out for you.

Garry
September 25th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Should be #47 on the red PCM connector, as listed above ...

Is there any official documentation on the PCM and the electrical interfaces availabe? I mean, I can go through and measure myself, guestimating a 12V signal and handling it appropriately, but documentation would make it safer and easier ... :)

@Tordne: Once I figure the pin out (and how to get to it), and once it does what I want it to do, I'll post up something about a shiftlight setup ... figure there are other folks around who would like to build something like it ... shouldn't be hard, either, just run a 12V line from the switched power to a little circuit board, use the PCM input as an on/off switch, and turn on something like 6 high-powered yellow LEDs ... I've seen some install instructions where some guy put the light into the left one of the three center airducts of his Firebird ... nice place, won't see it until it comes on ;) Them instruction were for a "regular" shift light though ...

Tordne
September 25th, 2006, 06:03 AM
To get a multi LED light going you would need to feed in the RPM signal also. The shift light in the HSV GTS is a single LED. I suspect that the PCM will simply supply/cut voltage to the particular pin and that nothing more than wiring in an LED is required. All the logic is already available in the stock tables IMO.

Definitely let us know how you go though cause I'll get it done also!!!

Garry
September 25th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Multiple LEDs in the sense of them being wired together ... not sequential ...
Stock tables on all the tunes I've seen (apart from the GTS one) are pretty much "0" all the way ...

Tordne
September 25th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Yeah GTS is the only vehicle down this part of the world that had one - hence values being populated.

warscout2
September 26th, 2006, 12:32 PM
so if we gave the table good values it should give us out put on that pin right

Tordne
September 26th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I would expect it to.. Check out the 04 HSV GTS tune (from my tune site) for example values for all the tables.

Garry
September 27th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Btw, anybody have any specs about the PCM on how many mA I can pull out of that output and whether the output is 12V or anything lower? Just wondering if I can drive an LED light directly from the output, or set up a seperate supply voltage which is just switched on and off ...

Garry
September 29th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Hm ... need to find something that will fit and not push out of the wiring harness plug ... tried several different things I have flying around, but nothing worked ... trying to find something that will fit next week ... (of course, the stores were closed by the time I decided I didn't have anything that would work ... Germany sucks ... :( )

ringram
September 30th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Dude didnt you use a pc mainboard wire? Mine worked fine. Just had to open the pin out a tiny bit.

Tordne, I hope if you get it fitted you set the, to quote TAQuickness, "shit light", higher than 3000 rpm :D

Garry
September 30th, 2006, 02:20 AM
I tried ... not big enough to keep it from pushing in ... don't think it connected correctly, or either the PCM didn't put out a signal on it, as I tried to measure it, and couldn't get anything (had the RPM set to 1200, and measured it against ground)

Tordne
September 30th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Tordne, I hope if you get it fitted you set the, to quote TAQuickness, "shit light", higher than 3000 rpm :D

You hassling my nana driving mate :wave:

Ira
September 30th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I tried ... not big enough to keep it from pushing in ... don't think it connected correctly, or either the PCM didn't put out a signal on it, as I tried to measure it, and couldn't get anything (had the RPM set to 1200, and measured it against ground)

It might be open collector, try connecting a 1K resistor between 5V and that pin and see if it moves then. If you can't find 5V, try 3 1K resistors in series, one end to 12V, one end to ground and then connect the pin to the other end of the resistor connected to ground. It should measure 4 to 5 Volts, check before hooking it up as you don't want to connect it to the 8V side just yet.

Ira

Garry
September 30th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I remember seeing some 5V reference voltages for different things on several PCM pins - I recon it's not a good idea to use them ...

Garry
October 2nd, 2006, 11:22 PM
Finally found the right type of connectors like the ones that go into the PCM plug ... made for BMW e.g. ...

... only they are too big, inside .5mm and up, outside is 2.1mm ... I recon I need something like .25mm and up inside diameter, outside diameter something like 1-1.5mm ... oh well, at least I can check with car places around and show them what I am looking for without taking the car and disassembling it to show them ;)

Tordne
October 3rd, 2006, 05:36 AM
I think ringram' used the jumper from a PC motherboard, like the HDD light connector. Might be worth a look?

Garry
October 3rd, 2006, 05:55 AM
I know. I tried that, and other stuff I had, and nothing I tried worked out reliably. Mainly, they were to short to stay in the plug right ... or too big to fit in the plug ... or too big a hole to make contact to the rather thin PCM pins ... :(

joecar
October 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Do you mean adding a pin to the PCM plug (that plugs into the PCM)...?

Someone like Ira or Caspars Electronics might have the appropriate terminals/pins and tools/picks...

Did I understand correctly...?

Garry
October 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
yes ... them pins ... problem is finding the right part if you don't know its "real" name ... :)

ace68
October 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/default.aspx?vi=true

try this place or the connectors they are on vacation this week but they were answering the email. They don't list everything they carry so if you don't see what you want email them what you need and they may be able to help you out.

Garry
October 5th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Whoa ... getting these Pins is a major PITA ... I finally found the "original" parts, they're Delphi "Micro-Pack" connectors, sealed version, Delphi/Packard part# seems to be 12084913 ... (or 12084912 for 0.8mm^2 cable)

Now to the even harder part ... getting some ;)

joecar
October 6th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Whoa ... getting these Pins is a major PITA ... I finally found the "original" parts, they're Delphi "Micro-Pack" connectors, sealed version, Delphi/Packard part# seems to be 12084913 ... (or 12084912 for 0.8mm^2 cable)

Now to the even harder part ... getting some ;)If found those online, can you post a link, I want to look at them.

Thanks
Joe
:cheers:

ace68
October 6th, 2006, 04:28 AM
I think you should try out the co. I listed here in this post he's got what you need.

Garry
October 6th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Do you mean like this:

http://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/Catalog/Micro_Pack_Series_Section.pdf

(Page 16)

ace68
October 6th, 2006, 04:37 AM
I thought you were pluging into the PCM that connector looks lke something you would use inside the car. I was refering to the connecor components here:
Weather-Pack Connector Terminals

TerminalGenderCable RangePrice (each)http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/weatherpack/images/terminal_weatherpack_female.jpgFemale18-20ga$0.25
https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/scr/pixel.gif http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/weatherpack/images/terminal_weatherpack_male.jpgMale18-20ga$0.25
https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/scr/pixel.gif

ace68
October 6th, 2006, 04:41 AM
I have some of these here I could check to see if those fit on the PCM terminal if you want.

Garry
October 6th, 2006, 05:26 AM
I can't tell from the pics, but I think those will be too thick to fit in the plug, and too large to have the PCM pins connect reliably ...

ace68
October 6th, 2006, 07:23 AM
oh yea they are way too big.

Ira
October 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I can't tell from the pics, but I think those will be too thick to fit in the plug, and too large to have the PCM pins connect reliably ...

I have a reasonable quantity of the pins that fit the little black connectors you find on MB front panel connectors that plug onto .025" square pins. I can send you a couple of pins either uncrimped or crimped to whatever wire you want that I have in stock.

Ira

Garry
October 7th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I've already tried with the PC-type connectors, while they will fit in the plug itself, they are to small to keep from pushing in deeper when being plugged in ... (got lots of PC supplies myself)
I should be able to get some similar ones from a place here in Germany, hopefully they will fit well enough ...

ringram
October 7th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Just arc weld a nail on the pin and then use copper battery jumper cables to clamp onto the nail and the other end onto the pcm wire, just mind the hood clearance with the 3M, 200 amp cables.

ace68
October 7th, 2006, 05:11 AM
good idea:eek:

S10Wildside
October 9th, 2006, 09:33 AM
This is the one you need.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/images/100w_terminal.jpg

They are available under the Connectors & Terminals section at http://www.eficonnection.com

Tordne
December 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM
These connectors are perfect!!! Just used them the other day to wire up the fuel pressure sender and valet switch for the custom OS.

Gary... Did you ever get this working and/or find out the voltage/current draw possible. After my new found enthusiasm for messing with PCM wiring I'm VERY keen to do this also :)

Garry
December 17th, 2006, 04:29 PM
No, a friend came up with some similar connectors that might fit in the plug, but with the car being prepared for winter (which hasn't showed up yet), w/o battery and everything, I didn't get to doing anything yet ... guess I'll have a look at it again in spring ...

Tordne
December 17th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Doh! The connectors from eficonnection are the proper ones and they are only like US$0.50 each so it didn't kill me to use the "right stuff".

Well I'll try and find out more cause I'm motivated now... Might be able to give you a hand :)

Garry
December 17th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah, doesn't hurt to use the right stuff - unless you are about 8000 mi away from where you can actually get ahold of it ... :( Might get one guy who just PCSed back to the States to pick up a couple though ... another might be on leave in the States before Spring, so that's another option ...

Tordne
December 17th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I'm in New Zealand, so a reasonable distance for the connectors to come also ;)

Garry
December 17th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah ... but I haven't seen a german car yet that uses LSx engines ... in contrast to Holden ... I wonder why that is ... LS1/2 would actually be a cheap way for Opel to build some high end limousine/sports coupe to compete with BMW/Mercedes ... but then, they're happy if they find buyers for their 4bangers ... oh well ... :)

2002_z28_six_speed
January 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I've already tried with the PC-type connectors, while they will fit in the plug itself, they are to small to keep from pushing in deeper when being plugged in ... (got lots of PC supplies myself)
I should be able to get some similar ones from a place here in Germany, hopefully they will fit well enough ...

Did you try using a sealer to help hold the pin in place? Like silicone RTV or something.

Nevertheless, good thing you guys located the correct pins.

Tordne
January 16th, 2007, 08:21 AM
For the price of these things it's not worth messing around IMO. I ordered a few and had them sent all the way down here (New Zealand) :)

Garry
January 16th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Did you try using a sealer to help hold the pin in place? Like silicone RTV or something.

The ones I had just were no good ... got a friend on leave in the US in February, hoping to get some through that ... ;)

2002_z28_six_speed
January 16th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Can I guess you are military? It shouldn't cost too much to have it shipped to an APO box on base. They get a discount rate.

Garry
January 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Nice try, close, but no cigar ... got quite a few folks in the military that would probably help to get them, though ...

Tordne
January 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I'll be trying this shift light stuff out in the next week or so. I have 2 AutoMeter warning lights (one large and 1 small) coming from SummitRacing :). Getting big and small cause I'm not sure which will be best and it makes it worth shipping all the way out there!

I'll let you know how it goes :cheers:

Tordne
February 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Stuff has arrived now :) Going to use the small one - the large is just a bit rice!!

Now I just need to get some extra wire to reach the PCM and decide where it needs to go...

Garry
February 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Were you already able to check what kind of signal you get when the shift-rpm is reached? When I originally tried, I couldn't see any 12V or whatever voltage come up for the desired shift RPM ... could have been caused by the sh@tty make-shift contact I used ...

Tordne
February 15th, 2007, 05:37 AM
I'll find out this weekend hopefully. I've seen a couple of other Holden guys do this recently and it seemed to work. The HSV GTS uses this method for it's light.

If it doesn't work I can sell the lights for a profit out here anyway :)

Tordne
February 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Well.... Finally completed the install after getting some spade connectors. After connecting the spade connector I found that the relay slot I intended to use wasn't actually wired in in my car :bawl:.

Ended up tapping it into the same circuit as the radar detector which has a fuse as well (just for you joecar :D).

Enabled the Shiftlight Control and Enable parameter (other tables I'd already populated) and did a quick test. Basically to test I just set B5801 to 1200 RPM so I didn't have to give it the full noise in the garage :)

Pretty damn pleased with this actually!!! Will be interesting to see how bright it is during the day.

Garry
February 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM
maybe the two threads here and GenIII section could be merged?

joecar
February 18th, 2007, 05:14 AM

Hey... a fuse is a safety device and a diagnostic/troubleshooting tool... ;)

Tordne
February 18th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Yeah. The install method worked out real nice and tidy (as I always try and do) :D

ringram
February 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Pics!

ace68
February 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM
nice now we need a tutotial on it hehe.

zapp168
April 15th, 2007, 01:43 AM
A tutorial would be great, this is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

zapp168
June 2nd, 2007, 08:32 AM
OK now this is COOL!!! I JUST finished swapping my 98 Computer to 99+ and believe it or not....the car started! I have a check engine light and my SKIP SHIFT light was on....I went into EFI Live under shift light and set it from 0 to 2000 RPM's to test and voila..... My skip shift light is now just a shift shift light. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

joecar
June 2nd, 2007, 10:55 AM

vatman02
June 3rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
OK now this is COOL!!! I JUST finished swapping my 98 Computer to 99+ and believe it or not....the car started! I have a check engine light and my SKIP SHIFT light was on....I went into EFI Live under shift light and set it from 0 to 2000 RPM's to test and voila..... My skip shift light is now just a shift shift light. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?
would this work on my 02 :nixweiss:

Garry
June 7th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Should ... just need the terminal and some extra cable ...

vatman02
June 7th, 2007, 08:36 AM
i was wanting to know if i could enable the skip shift light and use it as a shift light without acually activating the skip shift silenoid it is my understanding that one way of hooking up a shift light is to tap into the skip shift wire and hook it up to a shift light and the skip shift parameters would control it if this is the case should i not be able to just use the current skip shift light as a shift light

zapp168
June 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM
would this work on my 02 :nixweiss:

I am not sure, but is easy to test. I think it will only work on an M6?
Under engine calibration There is a folder for "shift light", set B5801 to what ever you want your shift RPM to be, you may want to start low for a test.
Under Transmission calibration there is folder for CARS/CAGS Disable CARS. No more skip shift and the light will come on at any RPM. Let me know if it works.

vatman02
June 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM
well that didnt work out looks like ill have go buy one and wire it ot the pcm

Garry
June 7th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Skip Shift and the Shift Light output don't have anything to do with each other AFAIK ... Skip Shift only activates under very certain situations (low speed, low load) ... and yes, the shift light pin is only free to use on M6, as it is used for a 2-3 shift IIRC on the A4 ...

What do you mean what didn't work out?

vatman02
June 8th, 2007, 09:59 AM
^this didnt work out^ it appears, at least to me, he wired nothing and still has a shift light that was at one time the skip shift light

1meangto
August 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
^this didnt work out^ it appears, at least to me, he wired nothing and still has a shift light that was at one time the skip shift light
He said he swapped from a 98 to a 99+ pcm as the pins are different from a 98 to a 99+ so Yes he just got very lucky!!

vatman02
August 7th, 2007, 08:28 AM
wow. someone with an answer. thanx i figured it had to be something like that

zapp168
August 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Sorry I had not followed this post!! I was reading through the beggining of this post before I did the PCM swap and was planning on doing the Shift light. Coincidently when I did the swap I noticed that the PIN on the PCM that was mentioned in this post was where my skip shift light was plugged into(RED #47). When I started the car the light was on, I just changed the settings in the tune, my dash is different, but I don't understand why this would not work on a 99+ M6 car? What does that PIN do? What turns on the skip shift light in a 99?

zapp168
August 7th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I looked up the diagram, it seems my skip shift light is lit up Via a wire (white from RED 41 which simply plugs into the 99+ RED 47) For the 99+ the light is controled by serial data, so there is no one wire to light it. So ya....I just lucked out :) Sorry if it sent you in the wrong direction.

SV8346
March 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
sorry to drag up an old thread but i'm looking at doing this mod to my 04. A few minor questions i have though, is the pin out put on the pcm an earthing pin? How much current can it safely handle?

SV8346
March 20th, 2008, 11:40 PM
sorry to drag up an old thread but i'm looking at doing this mod to my 04. A few minor questions i have though, is the pin out put on the pcm an earthing pin? How much current can it safely handle?

anyone???

Garry
March 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
It's a ground sink, yes, no idea how much it can take ... it works fine for my 6 LEDs ... ;)

SV8346
March 20th, 2008, 11:59 PM
sweet as, sounds perfect for the 2 leds i'm plugging into it then.

SV8346
March 22nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
got the 2 LED shift lights all installed and ready to go, just waiting on the proper connectors to come from the US.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n65/VL_30_LT/VY%20SV8/IMG_3610.jpg

Vexzer
May 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Well don't keep the suspense. How did it work out?

TAQuickness
May 8th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Welcome to the forum Vexzer.

SV - that's a sexy dash

jpalamar
December 4th, 2008, 07:03 AM
any DIY guides with detailed instructions/pics/part numbers :-)

Highlander
August 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
This means that if I change the 1-4 pin from the ls1 pcm to the 47 pin I get a shift light with the 1-4 skip shift?

Thanks

Vexzer
March 31st, 2011, 08:44 AM
Well don't keep the suspense. How did it work out?

Strange, got this in my email today...
" maryschonell has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Shift Light in 2k F-Body? - in the Tips and tricks forum of EFILive Forum.
This thread is located at:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?3333-Shift-Light-in-2k-F-Body&goto=newpost
Here is the message that has just been posted:
last time I also checked some of the HSV files on HoldenCrazy, but for shift lights none settings included
There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
All the best,
EFILive Forum"

joecar
March 31st, 2011, 11:08 AM
That user had spam links in their signature; and his/her other posts were utter gibberish, so I exercised the big axe.

Please let me know if you get any more emails/pms from that person.

Strange, got this in my email today...
" maryschonell has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Shift Light in 2k F-Body? - in the Tips and tricks forum of EFILive Forum.
This thread is located at:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?3333-Shift-Light-in-2k-F-Body&goto=newpost
Here is the message that has just been posted:
last time I also checked some of the HSV files on HoldenCrazy, but for shift lights none settings included
There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
All the best,
EFILive Forum"

Highlander
May 11th, 2013, 04:20 PM
the 1-4 skip shifts in my vette lights up like a shift like when ever I want it to.