PDA

View Full Version : Tune for a 233/233 Cam

BowlingSS
March 31st, 2005, 11:27 PM
I have been trying to get my car tuned right for a few weeks since I installed the TSP 233/233 595/595 112+2 cam. Does any have a tun file for this cam with an A-4? I am having problems with the down low speeds. It does idle most of the time but surges some and also wants to go on cruise control sometimes. It also bucks around 1300 to 1600 RPM when coasting. Also sometimes I floor it and nothing happens, it falls dead on the water. The trims are mostly negative and the O2's are running around 12.3. I do not have a wideband yet ( I am looking for one). I am also getting the code P0121 sometimes. I used a tune by wait4me but it was for a M6 and the car did not like it at all. Sorry for such a long one. I really like FlashScan. I never had a problem tuning before the cam.
Please help.

Bill
:(

SS-1500
April 1st, 2005, 12:05 AM
Bill, you going to be around this weekend? Maybe you could stop over and we could try a few things.

Al

Delco
April 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM
I have been trying to get my car tuned right for a few weeks since I installed the TSP 233/233 595/595 112+2 cam. Does any have a tun file for this cam with an A-4? I am having problems with the down low speeds. It does idle most of the time but surges some and also wants to go on cruise control sometimes. It also bucks around 1300 to 1600 RPM when coasting. Also sometimes I floor it and nothing happens, it falls dead on the water. The trims are mostly negative and the O2's are running around 12.3. I do not have a wideband yet ( I am looking for one). I am also getting the code P0121 sometimes. I used a tune by wait4me but it was for a M6 and the car did not like it at all. Sorry for such a long one. I really like FlashScan. I never had a problem tuning before the cam.
Please help.

Bill
:(

Welcome to the world of tuning , you have bitten off pretty big cam to get started with in a auto :shock:

Dont believe you are at 12.3 if you are only looking at the factory O2 sensors , all thay are telling you is you are richer than 14.63.

Best to get a wideband in there pronto , put the car into open loop and remove the maf so you can tune the VE table correctly. maf will never like the reversion on a cam like that.

Lots of work to tune all the tables but it is well worth it.

joecar
April 1st, 2005, 01:32 PM
I'm learning, so I'm asking a few questions to better my understanding...
Does that mean that he'll be tuning primarily in the VE table and IFR table...?
When the MAF is disabled, does the PCM do "real" Speed-Density...?
Does it use the VE table to compute volumes for SD...?
How and when do the PE tables come into play...?
:?:

Delco
April 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM
I'm learning, so I'm asking a few questions to better my understanding...
Does that mean that he'll be tuning primarily in the VE table and IFR table...?
When the MAF is disabled, does the PCM do "real" Speed-Density...?
Does it use the VE table to compute volumes for SD...?
How and when do the PE tables come into play...?
:?:

Tuning primarily in Ve table , set the desired PE amounts then make the VE achieve it when in PE mode - everywhere else is at 14.63 ( closed loop )

No the PCM goes into a backup SD mode , so he will be tuning Spark on the low octane table

Flashscan will be releasing a true SD calibration I believe soon ( when testing is finished ) the same as I have been using for a few years now.

PE happens when the trhottle position and map limits are met.

joecar
April 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM
...set the desired PE amounts then make the VE achieve it when in PE mode...
So, here we're aiming for an AFR of 12.3 (and outside PE mode 14.63), right...?
Thanks.
:)

Delco
April 1st, 2005, 05:57 PM
...set the desired PE amounts then make the VE achieve it when in PE mode...
So, here we're aiming for an AFR of 12.3 (and outside PE mode 14.63), right...?
Thanks.
:)
Pick any number for PE and tune to that , then once all the VE tuning is done ( keep it in the safe 12's region though) , once the VE table is 100% nailed ( can take months :o ) then you get on a dyno and see where your engine makes max power at each rpm point in PE , you may find at some rpm points you want 12.8:1 others 12.1:1 but at least now if you command 11:1 you will get it , if you command 13.5:1 you will get it since the VE table is right

So in essence you tune the engine to get the data right THEN you start hunting for power.