PDA

View Full Version : 2600 to 3600 stall TQ

driver456
September 11th, 2006, 12:43 PM
If I go from a 2600 stall to a 3600 stall TQ,Will I have to mess with the shift points?.................Paul

SSpdDmon
September 12th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Every car is different. Chances are you might have to dial in the WOT RPM shift points and maybe tweak the TCC apply speeds. But, that's about it.

For stalled autos, what I usually do is start with the stock tables and make any adjustments for gearing. After that, I set the first two rows of the 3rd & 4th gear TCC apply speed to 256. This helps keep the car from jerking during off-throttle TCC application. If you ever were coasting along at 40mph and rpms are hanging at 1,000 when the TCC decides to lock up bringing the revs up instantly to 2,000+, it's not exactly a good feeling.

Next, I look over the apply/release speeds to see if I like 'em or not. 9 times out of 10, I customize them for the car. Why would you want it to lock up in 4th at 40-some mph with 40% throttle? That's not what the new converter is for...

The last thing I do is make the part throttle shifts a little more responsive. To do this, I highlight every cell except the first row of the part throttle shift table. Then, copy and paste it to the first cell (top/left). This shifts the entire table up so that the trans will wait a little more before shifting into the next gear. Make sure you do this for all shifts (1~2, 2~3, and 3~4), upshift AND downshift tables. Just make sure you're 3rd gear TCC lockup values are greater than or equal to your 3~4 part throttle upshift values. Otherwise, the converter will lock before the upshift, unlock for the upshift and it'll feel kinda weird.

Assuming you have your shift pressures and desired shift times dialed in, that's pretty much it...

joecar
September 12th, 2006, 05:10 AM
That makes the car more aggressive :cheers: which is what the new TC is for :cheers:

We should add that to the tutorial.

driver456
September 12th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Thank's Jeff,I have the trans dialed in with the 3.73's and a 2600 stall TQ.Over the winter I'm installing a 3600 stall TQ,I figured I have to mess with the RPM shift points.Just have to start all over again:Eyecrazy: .......................Paul

joecar
September 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Thank's Joe,I have the trans dialed in with the 3.73's and a 2600 stall TQ.Over the winter I'm installing a 3600 stall TQ,I figured I have to mess with the RPM shift points.Just have to start all over again:Eyecrazy: .......................PaulYou meant "Thanks SSpdDmon (Jeff)". :cheers:

driver456
September 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM
You meant "Thanks SSpdDmon (Jeff)". :cheers:
Oop's,Thanks Jeff

SSpdDmon
September 13th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Thank's Jeff,I have the trans dialed in with the 3.73's and a 2600 stall TQ.Over the winter I'm installing a 3600 stall TQ,I figured I have to mess with the RPM shift points.Just have to start all over again:Eyecrazy: .......................Paul

OR, I could just give you my 3.73 tables. :)

**Edit**

I took a stock 2002 C5 (A4) tune from Holden Crazy and changed the shift tables for 3.73's and a stall. This should be a good starting point for you (assuming you're still on the stock cam). See below for before and after...

driver456
September 13th, 2006, 09:04 AM
OR, I could just give you my 3.73 tables. :)

**Edit**

I took a stock 2002 C5 (A4) tune from Holden Crazy and changed the shift tables for 3.73's and a stall. This should be a good starting point for you (assuming you're still on the stock cam). See below for before and after...
Thanks SSpdDmon.I have H/C,header's,LS6 intake,3.73's,shift kit.:cheers:

SSpdDmon
September 13th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks SSpdDmon.I have H/C,header's,LS6 intake,3.73's,shift kit.:cheers:
Then you'll need to adjust the 3rd/4th TC apply/release speeds. Right now I have them locking up around 1400 and unlocking around 1200 rpm. Chances are your H/C setup will be surging around 1600rpm with a locked drivetrain. So, adjusting those tables up might be required.

Also with the shift kit, make sure you keep your shift pressure tables/desired shift times close to stock. Wouldn't want to have to rebuild that A4 come next summer...

driver456
September 13th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Then you'll need to adjust the 3rd/4th TC apply/release speeds. Right now I have them locking up around 1400 and unlocking around 1200 rpm. Chances are your H/C setup will be surging around 1600rpm with a locked drivetrain. So, adjusting those tables up might be required.

Also with the shift kit, make sure you keep your shift pressure tables/desired shift times close to stock. Wouldn't want to have to rebuild that A4 come next summer...
When I change the TQ I might have the trans rebuilt anyway this winter,It will probably be a good idea since I dragrace once in awhile and I will be adding more HP:D ..............Paul