PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace my LB& with a LLY?

jerjoek
September 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
My 2002 6.6 LB7 Duramax recently had injector failure at 118k and I lost the engine over it.
GM left me hanging. So I found a LLY out of an '04. Can anyone tell me if it will exchange?
I understand that there was a change to the injector system, but will it run in my truck?

Trippin
September 12th, 2006, 01:04 PM
My 2002 6.6 LB7 Duramax recently had injector failure at 118k and I lost the engine over it.
GM left me hanging. So I found a LLY out of an '04. Can anyone tell me if it will exchange?
I understand that there was a change to the injector system, but will it run in my truck?

The ECM is different, the power drive to the injectors is different.
You would have to change every bit of wiring in the truck including the ECM, BCM, all in dash components including gauges, HVAC control, stereo etc.

The communication paths in a 2002 and a LLY truck are completely different.

Sorry. :frown:

jerjoek
September 12th, 2006, 01:32 PM
thanks for the help!

Dieselholic
September 12th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Jerjoek,

How come GM left you hanging, those things (injectors) are warranted for 7 years or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first? Is their more to the story???

Todd.:)

Cougar281
September 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM
What about using the LB7 electronics on the LLY longblock? other than that and the valve covers, aren't the two the same?

Trippin
September 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM
What about using the LB7 electronics on the LLY longblock? other than that and the valve covers, aren't the two the same?

The LB7 electronics won't run the LLY injectors. :frown:
You could put the LB7 top end on the LLY short block.

I'm curious why GM left you hanging as well?

Cougar281
September 12th, 2006, 10:46 PM
The LB7 electronics won't run the LLY injectors. :frown:
You could put the LB7 top end on the LLY short block.

I'm curious why GM left you hanging as well?

I meant everything... Injectors, sensors, FICM, etc. Move it all from the LB7 engine to the LLY.

Trippin
September 13th, 2006, 02:07 AM
I meant everything... Injectors, sensors, FICM, etc. Move it all from the LB7 engine to the LLY.

See my first post.

Cougar281
September 13th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I think we're getting out wires crossed... I realize that the LB7 ECM can't drive the LLY injectors, the VVT, etc. What I'm saying is take EVERYTHING off the LB7 (Injectors (assuming they're good, or get replacements), FICM, sensors, Glow plugs, GPCM, turbo, etc) and move it ALL over to the LLY longblock. Then install the LB7/LLY into the truck. If LB7 Injectors will install in the LLY heads (As well as the other electronics), It should work fine... Then your still running LB7 injectors, Glow Plugs, GPCM, Turbo, FICM, etc, which the LB7 ECM can work with, it's just installed on an LLY longblock, not a LB7.

Trippin
September 13th, 2006, 03:13 AM
LB7 and LLY injectors are completely different dimensionally as are the injector bosses in the head.

Cougar281
September 13th, 2006, 04:31 AM
LB7 and LLY injectors are completely different dimensionally as are the injector bosses in the head.

Ok, That clears it up. Scratch that idea...

jerjoek
September 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM
OK, so here is the rest of the story. I still don't know why I have been left stranded. GM says to me that It is my fault because the diesel in the oil caused this problem, but I took it to them as soon as I realized what was going on. Stupid isn't it?
But anyway, I have this NEW LLY that I hate to return because it is NEW. I have all of the wiring, the whole wire harness for the truck, the injector system is complete, turbo, even the alternator, it is a running drop in. But from what you say, the unit will not plug into the truck?

Cougar281
September 19th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Not only are the engine electronics different, I believe there is no way the LLY computers could talk to the rest of the computers in your truck since you have an '02 (they changed everything for the 2003 MY). If it was an '03 or 04 LB7, you MIGHT be able to drop in the engine, computers, harnesses, etc, but I don't know for sure. But 02, Nope.