PDA

View Full Version : 97 2bar

slowhawk
September 19th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Put a 97 Vette on a 2 bar setup. Got the car running/idling pretty decent.

Any tricks I should know about?Figure when I drive it tomorrow it will be screwy for awhile till I get the VE table set.

dc_justin
September 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Put a 97 Vette on a 2 bar setup. Got the car running/idling pretty decent.

Any tricks I should know about?Figure when I drive it tomorrow it will be screwy for awhile till I get the VE table set.

Only recommendation is setting up the initial VE table using any unit other than %. % will run you lean, as it takes in MAP value as a parameter to it and will be inaccurate.

slowhawk
September 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Only recommendation is setting up the initial VE table using any unit other than %. % will run you lean, as it takes in MAP value as a parameter to it and will be inaccurate.

I learned that already.Added a ton of fuel from the base setting I had.Got it idling smooth at 850rpm so far.

TLKSCHP
September 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I didn't think you could do that on the 97-98 pcm's.

I would like to hear how it works out

dc_justin
September 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM

You can, you just can't use a custom OS. Requires a bit of work in re-scaling anything that uses the MAP sensor as input. EG, 100kPa becomes 50kPa, etc.

slowhawk
September 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM

I hear mixed things about it so why not try it.This car runs real shitty with the MAF due to the 427ci and blower setup.The MAF kept screwing the tune so I'll try this out and see how it turns out.If it doesn't work I might rewire the car for a newer PCM.:mad:

Redline Motorsports
September 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM

DC, what do you mean by this?

dc_justin
September 19th, 2006, 05:12 PM
DC, what do you mean by this?

If you're trying to do a 2 bar map setup on a 97/98 (or 2006 Truck), you cannot use a custom OS and are thus left with rescalling the stock VE table to fit.

VE % unit uses MAP as one of the inputs to it. I don't have the exact equation here, but guarantee you it is part of it. Since the actual MAP value is actually twice what the PCM is seeing, problems can arise.

Stick with the default VE units and you'll be just fine by re-scaling the MAF and increasing linearly for boost regions until you can dial in.

I learned this the hard way, as before I upgraded to commercial version (long long ago in a land 3000 miles away :D ), I rescaled the VE in % units, went for a drive and was running at 17-19:1 at some points. Had to open the BIDI control panel and command 11:1 just to get to work safely...

joecar
September 20th, 2006, 04:51 AM
He means: for the VE table use the units g.K/kPa which look scary but give you a truer picture of what is going on.

dc_justin
September 20th, 2006, 04:53 AM
He means: for the VE table use the units g.K/kPa which look scary but give you a truer picture of what is going on.

It's not that one... That one would actually make you run rich.

% unit uses a different formula that runs you lean...

slowhawk
September 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM
% actually works.So far I'm ussing KPA vs RPM on auto VE which is getting it closer.Car is alot more drivable so far. Only thing I don't like is that the VE table is going into the 200's/300's on the tuning scale but it seams to be working.

dc_justin
September 20th, 2006, 09:19 AM
% actually works.So far I'm ussing KPA vs RPM on auto VE which is getting it closer.Car is alot more drivable so far. Only thing I don't like is that the VE table is going into the 200's/300's on the tuning scale but it seams to be working.

That's what I meant. % units do not increase linearly. You can't just shift the 100kPa column into the 50kPa column initially and expect it to work (like you would expect), you have to increase it by another 40-60% for it to be safe...

slowhawk
September 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM
That's what I meant. % units do not increase linearly. You can't just shift the 100kPa column into the 50kPa column initially and expect it to work (like you would expect), you have to increase it by another 40-60% for it to be safe...

Found that out;) Car still needs alot of tuning but I'm happy with it so far.

slowhawk
September 25th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Update- The car is pretty much done. We maxed out the 60lb injectors then added some pure Methenol. It runs real good but still has minimul holes in the tune.Car is Nasty, 1/4 throttle kills the tires in 1st/2nd then 3rd spins at 1/2 throttle.

hopefully in the future there will be some kind of Custom OS for 97/98's but this will do for now.:)

Turbo595t
September 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM
SlowHawk, where are you experiencing holes in the tune?

slowhawk
September 28th, 2006, 11:46 AM
SlowHawk, where are you experiencing holes in the tune?

Ended up being the change between fuel cells.They have to be extremely smooth since they are limited without a custom os setup.The car runs real good now but not as good as some custom os cars I've done.The A/F isn't as locked as I would like.