PDA

View Full Version : EFILive File locations

Cougar281
September 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Is there any way to move the files that EFILive puts in the "My Documents" folder? My "My Documents" folder is stored on my server, and I have offline files enabled. Normally, this is not an issue, but my MS Money file got FUBAR'd due to a network disconnection while it was in use. Don't want that happening with EFI.

Tordne
September 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Can can relocate the folders and change the locations in the Scan Tool properties. I found originally (over a year and a half ago) that when you performed installation upgrades that files would still appear in the "My Documents" folder. I gave up in the end and have had no issue since...

Could you use EFILive as a different user logon perhaps that didn't have network folders?

Trippin
September 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Launch the Scan tool and go to Edit>Properties>Folders tab.

ringram
September 20th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I think its a good idea in v8 of the software to have a common file root. Splitting them up is a little confusing and messy IMO.

Blacky
September 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I think its a good idea in v8 of the software to have a common file root. Splitting them up is a little confusing and messy IMO.

I agree 100%.

Stupid Microsoft "guidelines" that recommend putting program files in "Progam Files" and data files into "My Documents".
Everything will be in one place in V8.
A full uninstall will be as simple as deleting the folder.
Also the registry will not be used. All config data will be stored in text files that can easily be changed, deleted or replaced.

Regards
Paul

TAQuickness
September 21st, 2006, 01:58 AM
I used to have the same problem as I keep my program files on my C partition and data on the D partition. I didn't have the luck I was looking for by adjusting the properties. However, I did find the registry key's that store this information. After manually updating the registry, I exported the key's for quick re-entry.

Ira
September 21st, 2006, 03:00 AM
Stupid Microsoft "guidelines" that recommend putting program files in "Progam Files" and data files into "My Documents".

And don't forget how much harder you make it for the average user to back up if you don't follow those rules. Is it really that hard to delete 2 folders instead of 1? I can understand not using the registry, but forcing data into Program Files is really not a nice thing to do. If you want, offer it as an option during the installation, but please don't make it the only option.

Ira

joecar
September 21st, 2006, 03:31 AM
I agree 100%.

Everything will be in one place in V8.
A full uninstall will be as simple as deleting the folder.
Also the registry will not be used. All config data will be stored in text files that can easily be changed, deleted or replaced.

Regards
PaulWould be a good idea to make a program root and a data root, and they can be the same or different, the user selects at install time and can change at any time via folder properties.

Not using the registry is a very good thing. :cheers:

Garry
September 21st, 2006, 03:38 AM

Spoken like a good programmer, not one of those Windoze "Programmers" :) Thank you!!! Nice to see that no everybody follows M$' errors blindly ...

Garry
September 21st, 2006, 03:41 AM
Not using the registry is a very good thing. :cheers:
Why does everybody sane seems to know this, but not M$ horde of well-paid developers? :muahaha: