PDA

View Full Version : Known issue with ECM/TCM combo

Blacky
September 22nd, 2006, 09:14 AM
Known issue with the current version of the EFILive software.

When EFILive validates the PIDs it stores the validated PID list in a file called
\My Documents\EFILive\V7\PIDs\<VIN>.vpl
where <VIN> is the first 11 characters of the VIN, and for US VINs the 9th digit (the
checkdigit) is replaced with an underscore.

Some sample *.vpl files:
1G1YY34U_55.vpl (American style with the checkdigit removed)
6H8VTL69FYL.vpl (Australian style with no checkdigit removal)

Anyway, the ECM (Engine controller) and the Allison TCM (transmission controller) both use the
same VIN. What happens is on the first connection to the ECM, the ECM PIDs are validated and
stored in the appropriate <VIN>.vpl file. Then when a connection to the TCM is made, a matching
<VIN>.vpl file is found (the ECM pid list) and EFILive assumes the PIDs listed in that file are
valid for the TCM. Obviously they are not because they are ECM PIDs.

The workaround:

1. Locate the *.vpl file that matches the vehicle's VIN in the folder:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7\PIDs\
2. Delete it.
3. In the EFILive Scan Tool software, open the properties window (menu: Edit->Properties)
4. Select the [Connection] tab page.
5. Select the Controller ID: of "$18 TCM".
6. Connect to the TCM (menu: File->Connect).
7. Re validate the TCM PIDs (menu: Info->Validate PIDs).

When changing back to the ECM, you need to repeat the process (including deleting the *.vpl
file) but change the controller ID back to "$11 ECM".

The Fix:

This problem has been fixed in the next release of EFILive. The next release will be available
in October.

Regards
Paul Blackmore
EFILive Limited

Whippled 496
October 1st, 2006, 11:34 AM
So is there any way to scan using the PIDs from the TCM and the PCM at the same time? If i wanted to scan say "GM.TRQENG_B" and "GM.kr" at the same time is that possible right now? If not, will it be possible once the new update comes out? Im trying out different scanning templates and would like to be able to scan engine knock in relation to requested torque reduction from the Allison. Here is a couple screen shots of one of my PID templates. I am not able to scan all these at the same time.

Blacky
October 1st, 2006, 11:52 AM
Scanning both at the same time will not be available until Version 8 is released - mid to late next year. Even so, the scan rate will be slower because the Class-2 bus bandwidth will be shared between the ECM and the TCM.
Unfortunately that's just the limitations of the in-vehicle network.

Regards
Paul

Whippled 496
October 2nd, 2006, 08:37 AM
Scanning both at the same time will not be available until Version 8 is released - mid to late next year. Even so, the scan rate will be slower because the Class-2 bus bandwidth will be shared between the ECM and the TCM.
Unfortunately that's just the limitations of the in-vehicle network.

Regards
Paul

Why dont you hook me up with the version 8 beta release? ;)

Thanks for the info Paul, while i have you on the line I have another question i was hoping you could answer that is within the same topic of this thread. There seems to be some oddities with the 8.1L/Allison setup in regards to the software appearance. With the 4.8/5.3/6.0 coupled with the 4L60E-4L80E the transmission tuning is done directly in the PCM screen. With the Dmax, there are no transmission options in the PCM screen at all. BUT...in the 8.1L/Allison PCM screen there ARE transmission as well as torque management and traction control options. I would have assumed the transmission calibrations and diagnostics would be greyed out in the 8.1L/Allison PCM screen (or not there at all like with the Dmax) because they ~shouldn't?~ have anything to do with making transmission changes. Everything in those transmission screens is referencing 4 speeds, not 5 like the Allison. Basically what i am asking is since those options (transmission options) are still visible to me even though i have an Allison and a seperate TCM.....what if anything inside those areas will be usable? how about traction control and torque management? Anything in those areas that are usable? Can i alter torque management, max torque limits and other things in those tables if i have the Allison and TCM?

Thanks,
Jimmie