PDA

View Full Version : Road Runner DEAD????

Highlander
October 2nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
PCM doesn't want to communicate with the vehicle... Its installed in a z06 2001.

The PCM is giving me P1516 TAC output or something... And Engine Overheating, reduced engine power bla bla bla modes.
The ECT is reading 260F ALL The time...

The PCM worked great for a little while.. after that.. the car shut itself down.. later.. it "unlocked" and then you could start the car.. now its giving problems again...

Anyone with first hand knowledge of this???

The PCM doesn't want to display trouble codes via the IPC. When it works fine it does.

Ideas?

carneb
October 2nd, 2006, 09:56 PM
Do you have your laptop connected to the RR when these problems happen? They can act strange especially if the laptop is being powered in the car by an inverter.

GMPX
October 3rd, 2006, 12:09 AM
Out of interest did you mess with the ETC tables?

Highlander
October 3rd, 2006, 04:07 AM
No i didn't... I am very smart not to mess with the ETC tables... no need...

One thing though... the laptop is powered by its battery...
I am considering asking craig about it.. but want to know your first hand experience.

THx

Delco
October 3rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Remove power from the RR , repower up after a few mins and use a mains power supply to the laptop , reflash the full tune back in and see if it fixes the problem.

I have come across a issue where the power to the USB seems to drop too low and corrupts the flash on the RR

Craig Moates
October 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM
Feel free to get with me and we can get you taken care of if needed.

Sounds like you might be on the right track to get things figured out, but let me know if you need any help.

Highlander
October 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Did this.. wont fix...

as a matter of fact.. if you put it in flash mode... it will not start BUT it will not read 260F ECT.

As soon as you put it in Emulation mode... it goes right to 260.

Tried to flash the flash portion using normal efilive... Bootloader rejected... THIS IS ALL IN CAR...

The PCM was removed.. will check it tommorrow and see if outside the vehicle it works... but.. won't in vehicle.. Changed to the normal PCM, car fired right up.

Highlander
October 4th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Ok... PCM out of vehicle will not program flash portion, saying rejected bootloader 1) mph above 0 2) rpm above 0 OR 3) Bad RAM!! :( ... USB portion programs OK, reads ok, just like it did when in car...

Is there any way to test this pcm other than installing it?

Thanks

ringram
October 4th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Sounds like a call to the doc. Possible rush to hospital required.

Craig Moates
October 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM
When emulation is disabled (flash enabled), the RR will do nothing. None of the new units have flash installed, so turning the flash on is basically the same as turning the emulation off.

Sometimes you can get the unit to 'reset' if you turn the emulation on and off while the PCM is powered up in vehicle or on the bench via bench harness.

So in answer to your question, just make sure that it is set to emulation and don't be in any way concerned/interested in how the RR PCM responds to any flash-based read/program commands. It won't respond.

Highlander
October 4th, 2006, 10:09 AM
My unit does respond to the normal flash routines ONLY when in flash mode.. my unit appears to have flash unit because i was able to flash it via efilive using my flashscan v1 cable...

I am unable to flash with v1 when emulation is enabled and i can surely understand it.. no worries there AND i am not interested either.

I was able to have 2 different OS installed... and when connected to the scan tool you could switch between them. So i know i have flash enabled.. Now.. I can't flash the flash portion, the car won't start with either the flash or emulation or realtime. It will display many code P1518 C1276 are the ones that always repeated.

My serial number of my RR is 0106030313173135

What i need to know is... is there a way to hard reset it? my guessing is that since i played while runing with switching between flash and emu, the PCM locked itself out because of the ETC functionnig.

What I will do is open it up and then take a picture and see if i have a flash or not... That would take us all out of the doubt.
http://www.prtc.net/~highlander/db1.jpg

Highlander
October 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
This is the error i am getting

http://www.prtc.net/~highlander/error.JPG

joecar
October 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Yep, yours has a 28F4008 flash chip on it.

Craig Moates
October 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Yes, flash is present. So you have one of the units which is flash enabled.

Maybe Paul or Ross can comment on the possibility of flash lockup/lockout when going in and out of emulation and reflashing the chip around the same timeline? I think that would be the issue. Probably corrupted flash.

Do this, try powering the unit down (2-3 hours, overnight) in 'emulation' mode, and power it back up in vehicle, keeping it in emulation mode with a known good tune file. See if that works. If it does, then we know the emu and PCM is OK. Also, you can try flashing a 99 OS into the emulator and then going to an 02 OS while the key is on. That will also force a hard reset of the PCM.

Highlander
October 5th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Thank You will do that now...

As i said.. i had flash present :D

Highlander
October 11th, 2006, 05:04 AM
well.. no luck.. no matter what i do.. i can't enable the flash portion again.. i will try and solder a good chip here and see how it goes.

Craig Moates
October 11th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Whenever you're ready to send it to me for inspection/repair, I'm here for you. I've got plenty of good chips I could swap on there and hard program.

Doc
October 13th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Just out of curiosity have you tried running the RR in another vehicle?

Highlander
October 13th, 2006, 04:12 PM
What for? Its throwing junk data out of the usb port... i am just waiting to see if when i change the battery it fixes up.. if not.. i am taking craigs offer as he has been EXTREMELY diligent with ALL his products...