PDA

View Full Version : Opps, Need Emission Test

lplott
October 10th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Our county has done away with emission tests as of 1 Jan 07, and of course I need one in Nov to re-register my '02 Vette.

Here is the problem; I am running twin turbos, bigger injectors, Custom OS and AutoVE tune with MAF disabled according to tutorials posted in EFILive.

What will I have to do to pass emissions test? I think this test will just plug into the OBDII connector to test emissions.

Options:
1. Should I load a stock tune and OS, rescale the injectors, drive carefully to stay out of boost, go get emissions tested, pass, reload current tune and OS and be happy. Will this work?
2. Turn off the NO MILs that were turned off in the Custom OS Tutorial, be careful to stay out of boost, get emissions tested, pass, turn the NO MILs back on and be happy. Will this work?
3. Other suggestions?

Thanks
Lonnie

joecar
October 10th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Duplicate post... which one do you want me to delete...?

I'll delete the one with the least view count later this morning.

Edit: ok, this instance is the winner (16:6).

Garry
October 10th, 2006, 06:12 AM
3. de-register your car after Nov 30th and re-register in January? :)

emarkay
October 10th, 2006, 09:07 AM
If you have a visual inspect, you are toast.

Why don't you see what your DMV is really going to use, what procedure and then plan ahead.

If they hook up to the OBDII port, all readiness tests better be OK or automatic fail that time. Also, depending on what the rules are in your state you may be denied a registration, so play this one with care.

MRK

PS: option 4: Do what I did and move to where there are NO inspections!

TAQuickness
October 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM
If you have alternate transportation, I would let it slide until next year.

joecar
October 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Yup, just show up late and tell them the car was broken and/or you were out of town...

Or, if you fail the test, can you get them to give you a temporary waiver (or something)...?

VortechC5
October 10th, 2006, 01:51 PM
The emissions test in El Paso county is a no brainer. They only do a tailpipe test at idle and at 2500 rpm. They do not connect to the car at all. My car easily passed with my heads, cam, headers, cats, etc.

Mark

lplott
October 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Thanks Mark. This should be interesting. I am running leaner than stock almost all over the RPM/MAP range except in boost, which will not affect the emissions test. I will go down this Saturday and give it a go.

More to come.....

Lonnie

Garry
October 12th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Good Luck!

VortechC5
October 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Good luck with the e-test. As long as you are not lean enough to be into lean misfire I think that you'll be fine.

Mark

Thanks Mark. This should be interesting. I am running leaner than stock almost all over the RPM/MAP range except in boost, which will not affect the emissions test. I will go down this Saturday and give it a go.

More to come.....

Lonnie