PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft Position Sensor Code

jfpilla
October 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM
P0336 A Circuit Range/Performance

I'm getting this code and the car runs like hell. It stumbles and finally stalls. I can then start it and all seems fine. But it always comes back.
The sensor has been replaced but it made no difference. Any help would be appreciated. It is frustrating.http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/frown5.gif
Thanks
Joe

joecar
October 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Is the wiring/connector ok...
remove both ends (PCM, CKP sensor) and ohm each wire for continuity and shorting.

Also, ohm the CKP sensor cold and then hot; inspect it for damage (including fine/hairline crack on sensor body, being hit by crank reluctor, etc).

jfpilla
October 19th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Joecar
The sensor was replaced today. We should ohm the wires next. Thanks for the idea.
Joe

joecar
October 19th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Joecar
The sensor was replaced today. We should ohm the wires next. Thanks for the idea.
JoeJoe
One time I replaced the CKP sensor in a 2.8L V6 and the motor still failed to run; when I ohmed the new sensor it was open circuit; the guy at parts store said something like "oh, that must be the one that fell to the floor" and gave me another new one (which ohmed good and motor started); so I'm suspicous of new parts.

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:

jfpilla
October 19th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Joecar,
Good idea. That should be tried before the reluctor gets checked.
Thanks
Joe

Bruce Melton
October 20th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Maybe you have been here?

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic10350.php

jfpilla
October 20th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Bruce,
I have not seen it. It is very helpful.
Thanks
Joe

jfpilla
October 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
It was 2 bad grounds.
It seems everything is ground problems with C5's.

joecar
October 23rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
It was 2 bad grounds.
It seems everything is ground problems with C5's.Glad you found it... :cheers:

Which 2 grounds were they...?

jfpilla
October 23rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Glad you found it... :cheers:

Which 2 grounds were they...?

The ground above the starter was a little corroded. It probably contributed. The engine ground from the chassis to the block on the driver side was broken and was likely the major cause, but couldn't have caused the problem alone since it must have been broken for a while. Don't ask me how it broke. I have no clue. When the engine warmed to 180*F the fans kicked on and the rumble started and the engine would die. That was the clue to a ground problem.
It seems that when a C5 throws a code it could easily be a ground problem. Recently I've been getting the AH Warming on the DIC. It didn't happen today. Fingers crossed