PDA

View Full Version : New Firefox is out ...

Garry
October 23rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Just in case you haven't heard or read yet, the new 2.0 version is out! Firefox, that is ... :) lots of nice new features, like the built-in spell-checker in text input fields :)

Tordne
October 23rd, 2006, 10:29 AM
I'm running RC3 which still seems to be the latest version.

Chevy366
October 23rd, 2006, 02:42 PM
http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35268
Tomorrow , depends on where you live I guess.
Nvidia fixed the driver flaw if you run Nvidia get it (8776).

Garry
October 23rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
I already downloaded 2.0 (non-RC) last night (GMT+2) ... :) Check one of the mirrors if you can't get it from the main site :)

Chevy366
October 23rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
I already downloaded 2.0 (non-RC) last night (GMT+2) ... :) Check one of the mirrors if you can't get it from the main site :)
RC3 is good so 2.0 final is a must .

Garry
October 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
e.g., here: ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0

Tordne
October 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Downloading from Mozilla now. Still not listed on the main 2.0 page :)

kbracing96
October 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
just DLed it and installed and browser has locked up 3 times in the last 10 minutes!

Tordne
October 23rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Hmm... I've been running Firefox 2.0 since the first beta release and have had no issues at all. It wouldn't be the phishing filter checking the site before it loads would it - or are we talking End Task needed to resolve lockups?

kbracing96
October 23rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
Hmm... I've been running Firefox 2.0 since the first beta release and have had no issues at all. It wouldn't be the phishing filter checking the site before it loads would it - or are we talking End Task needed to resolve lockups?

Yep, (nonresponsive) end task and start over to fix it, seem to be working now, never had any problem running the old version before. Don't know what the deal is???

kbracing96
October 23rd, 2006, 05:37 PM
On the firefox subject anyone have any idea why I can't play WMV steaming player like streetfire.net in FF. says i need a plugin, but it can't find one. I have the latest WMP 11 beta, just installed the other day. Any clues?

Chevy366
October 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Oh crap WMP 11 , you just killed your video rights .
DRM in WMP11 .
I'll wait for the offical release of FF, but thanks .
Vista RC2 , little slow .

Tordne
October 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM
I just tried the video on the homepage of streetfire.net and it worked fine. I am running FF 2.0 under Vista though. Only plugins I've loaded is Adobe Flash Player.

kbracing96
October 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Humm... my old laptop wouldn't play WMV streamers at all in any browser, would lock up the browser every time. Now my new one will play them in IE, but not FF even before I did the FF 2.o upgrade. Stupid computers!!:bash:

Tordne
October 23rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
Humm... my old laptop wouldn't play WMV streamers at all in any browser, would lock up the browser every time. Now my new one will play them in IE, but not FF even before I did the FF 2.o upgrade. Stupid computers!!:bash:

Their stupidity buys my toys :) Does it give you a banner at the top (like the popup blocker) saying you need to get a plugin?

kbracing96
October 23rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Their stupidity buys my toys :) Does it give you a banner at the top (like the popup blocker) saying you need to get a plugin?

Yep. click on it and it searchers real quick and say's it can't find needed plugins and says to do a manual install, but i can't find the needed plugins.:confused:

kbracing96
October 24th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Well, I think I finally fixed it. Went to Windows downloads, and looked at ALL downloads for WMP. Saw the netscape plug-in, since these platforms are similar, I though maybe this will help, so I DLed it and installed it. Restarted FF, and first attempted... Crashed the browser :( I'm stupid, so I tried it again and bamn, it worked! First time I've ever been able to watch a WMV vids on this computer or my last laptop! :cheers:

ringram
October 25th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Yeah I dont think RC3 shows any updates as thats a Beta and is only checking for Beta updates.

2.0 is a new version so looks like a separate install required. As Tordne says. Ive been also using it for ages, I think I even put him onto it after noticing a spelling mistake :). The inline spell check is great.

Garry
October 25th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Most of the extensions I had in 1.5 are now already updated for 2.0, still missing the daily Dilbert, but most of 2.0 seems stable and a lot faster rendering than 1.5 ...

Oh, and there have not been two serious security hazards reported for Firefox as happened with IE 7 ;)

Tordne
October 25th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Yeah I dont think RC3 shows any updates as thats a Beta and is only checking for Beta updates.

2.0 is a new version so looks like a separate install required. As Tordne says. Ive been also using it for ages, I think I even put him onto it after noticing a spelling mistake :). The inline spell check is great.

Ouch how the truth hurts :bash: