PDA

View Full Version : noticed idle issue and questions

BACKinBLACK
October 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
2000 SS M6

Ok guys i have a few questions. First off im running open loop still AUTO VE'ing so im running everything just like it says in the tutorial. When the car first starts up and idles, well actually it can pretty much idle all day and until i drive the car the AFR usually is about 15-16:1 and sometimes higher I have done RAFIG numerous times. Once i drive it for a while and go and sit and idle it is where it needs to be... but why does it run so lean before i drive it? I have a file of first start idle if i can figure out how to post it....

My next question is when im open loop, auto ve mode, maf not hooked up does my car run off of the back up ve table or main ve table? Back up i would guess. Is there a way to make it run off the Main VE table without hooking the maf back up or do i have to run a COS to do this? ALso what about my spark tables, when i go WOT does it run off the Optimal Spark table or run a mixture of high and low octane tables?

Darkness
October 23rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
I'm still a newb but when you do the auto ve, the car is supposed to use the low spark table, hence why you copy and paste the high.

BACKinBLACK
October 23rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
yup i just re read the tutorial and figured that out, thanks though

Doc
October 24th, 2006, 02:48 AM
You could use a COS or just a newer OS and get rid of the whole low resolution back up VE crap.

BACKinBLACK
October 24th, 2006, 04:31 AM
i was thinking about doing that. a couple questions

even though my car is a 2000 can i use the "Stock Tune Migrated To 2002 Operating System" that is on Holden Crazy? If i could figure out how to do it pretty easily i would like to switch to a COS, probably the N2O one if it incorporates the same SD options that the SD cos does.

Doc
October 24th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Check your OS# to make sure it is on the list but, yes that is the general idea. In my case I had to migrate everything by hand to go from the 98 OS to 2002

TAQuickness
October 24th, 2006, 06:40 AM
i was thinking about doing that. a couple questions

even though my car is a 2000 can i use the "Stock Tune Migrated To 2002 Operating System" that is on Holden Crazy? If i could figure out how to do it pretty easily i would like to switch to a COS, probably the N2O one if it incorporates the same SD options that the SD cos does.

Sorta ;)

You can use that tune, but you will need to copy over all the tables you have modified (VE, Idle, Spark, etc...), otherwise, you'd be starting from scratch on the newer OS.

If you want to go with a custom OS, you will need to utilize the stock migrated tune (with your modified tables copied over) or manually copy over all your current (2000 OEM OS) tables to the new custom OS.

Hope that makes sense.

BACKinBLACK
October 24th, 2006, 06:56 AM
well i pretty much just got done copying all of the tables that i could see that were diff from the 99-02 migrated thingy. Anyways, i havent loaded it yet b/c im still waiting for my commercial upgrade key or whatever to get emailed to me.... now then do i have to load the new 02 OS that i have created into the car and then load the COS into the car after that, and then do something else or can i just go strait from the 2k OS to the COS?

TAQuickness
October 24th, 2006, 07:11 AM
from the scan or tune tool, click help -> tutorials -> custom OS upgrade tutorial.

You cannot go straight from a 2k OS to custom or other os. But you can use your modified 99 to 02 migrated OS to make things alot easier.

BACKinBLACK
October 24th, 2006, 07:35 AM
yup i read that still kinda confused... just got my car back after being in the body shop for a few months... been a long time since ive looked at efilive...

****edit**** just found 02020005 link in another thread

so first thing i have to do is load the new 12212156 OS that i made into the car, then i have to save it and then i have to load the COS5 into the car, and then make sure it is ok, and then load the 12212156 Calibration into the car with the COS5 already in it?

or

do i load the COS5 into the car and then load the 99-02 migration that i made, load that calibration into the COS5 that i just loaded into the car.
that way i only have to do 1 full reflash...

joecar
October 24th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Get COS5 from here (see posts #167 and #168):
showthread.php?t=2599 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2599)
showthread.php?t=2599&page=17 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=2599&page=17)

TAQuickness
October 24th, 2006, 08:00 AM
I would go with option 2. Just make sure you have some time to do this just in case you missed a table.

I always recommend reading the tutorial to get familiar with it's contents first. BUT, they almost always seem to make more sense when you are actually doing the task.

BACKinBLACK
October 24th, 2006, 08:21 AM
ok well now i just need to wait to for the key or whatever to get emailed to me to upgrade to commercial

BACKinBLACK
October 27th, 2006, 08:28 AM
ok guys i havent switched OS yet but back to my original question, whenever i first start my car the car runs dang lean compared to the comanded FR , ive tried logging and adjusting RAFIG but it def doesnt make it better it may even be making it worse. Its still in autoVE mode. Now then whenever i go drive my car and then stop and it idles, it idles great and AFR is pretty close. But if i turn the car off then start it back up even a second later, the car runs lean again until i go drive it or whatever

I will gladly post a log of today and my tune if some one can tell me how , or ill gladly email it to somebody.

Is there a table that im missing that makes the car do this?

also in the first few minutes my tps voltage stays at .5v but my Absolute throttle position fluctuates btwn 0.4-0.8% , any ideas on why this is... when it gets over .6 i believe the car treats it as its at 1% tp. is that correct? i have reset my TPS numerous times, i even lowered it from .6 to .5V to see if that would help but it still does the same thing.

TAQuickness
October 27th, 2006, 12:53 PM
http://www.forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3170 (http://www.forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3170)

BACKinBLACK
October 27th, 2006, 06:37 PM
thanks, ill try some of that and see what happens.

limited cv8r
October 28th, 2006, 01:23 AM
You will need 01290005 for a holden SS.Hopefully i've attached a copy here for you if you don't have it.

BACKinBLACK
October 28th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Thanks but its a camaro SS ,

I was thinking about this last night and it seems like a good solver for my cold start up but the problem is it also does it on warm starts. If i turn the thing off for a second and then restart it , it will idle lean as crap until i go drive it or sit and idle for 10 or 15 minutes it will eventually start to richen up. I will try that table and see what happens but i dont think it will help with warm starts.... any ideas on that?

TAQuickness
October 28th, 2006, 05:03 AM
it's the same thing. The PCM dumps extra air on startups to try and quickly get you to normal operating temp.

BACKinBLACK
October 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM
ok cool, ill let yall know what happens

BACKinBLACK
October 29th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I played with it some today. The thing would surge really bad at start up and usually would end up dying. My rafig is dialed in, i ended up adding 1 to the entire B4343 table and it helped a good bit at cold start, but at warm start it would start up really good and then almost die after just a second, if i gave it a little gas it would find a good idle, which was an improvement from before, before it would search for idle for a while.

I wasnt really trying to get rid of the lean idle issue, i read those posts you made about it and the ls1tech thread on it, what values did you end up putting into B3632? also what about your decay rates.. did that take car of your lean idle?

TAQuickness
October 29th, 2006, 03:05 PM
The values I use wouldn't help you any, but I can tell you about how to figure them.

You need to log your IAC steps, Start-up Airflow, Start-up Friction Airflow, and ECT.

The start up enrichment decay delay should last as long as the start-up friction flow

start up enrichment decay should last as long as start-up airflow

Your {B3605} or {A0008} (COS3+) should last thru the warm up cycle.

During the cold start, you'll notice your BEN's still read extremely lean, BUT, your commanded AFR will be 10-11ish while actuall is 13-14ish. You just have to eyeball it to satisfaction (hence why we filter out BEN's below 180* F).

Beyond that, you're just gonna have to sit down with a fresh tank of gas and work it out.

:cheers:

Edit:
Fixed ETC ECT typo

BACKinBLACK
October 29th, 2006, 04:23 PM
thanks man...
one question though, did you mean ECT instead of ETC?
pretty sure you did, that would make since lol

TAQuickness
October 30th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Good catch, yes. I need some sleep or stronger coffee :D