PDA

View Full Version : Can I read an HP tuners custom OS?

TLKSCHP
November 5th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Here is the problem a Friend got his car tuned by an individual that used a custom HP tuners OS on it and when I went to read it said it was locked. The other tuner claims it's not locked and doesn't have the cable to adjust it anymore. what option do we have?

Tordne
November 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM
EFILive will likely not recognise the Custom OS from HPT. You only real options IMO are:

1) Use a EFILive Custom OS and tune the car from scratch yourself. That way you know whats been done etc. Only prob is this may take longer to get where you are now if the current tune is real good.

2) Find someone else that has HPT which might be able to read the file out and/or modify it for ya.

TLKSCHP
November 5th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Should I be able to use a stock file and flash it back to stock?. MCG I guess tried somthing and it didn't work. :nixweiss:

Tordne
November 5th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Good question. I don't know for sure. I'd assume that if the bootloader etc. is responding then you should be able to flash over existing with EFILive.

Anyone else car to confirm/deny?

TLKSCHP
November 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM
That reminds me I still need to upgrade to commercial

Tordne
November 5th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Good point - that will definitely be required to change the foundation OS on the PCM :beer:

Delco
November 5th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Here is the problem a Friend got his car tuned by an individual that used a custom HP tuners OS on it and when I went to read it said it was locked. The other tuner claims it's not locked and doesn't have the cable to adjust it anymore. what option do we have?

If its not locked then you should be able to flash a complete OS over it , you should also be able to read it but not look at it as it will be a unrecognised OS to flashscan.

if it is fully locked then your only option is to send it to somone to unlock it , I can do it if you are in Aust or there are guys in the us who can unlock it for you.

TLKSCHP
November 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM
it wouldn't let me read it at all. :nixweiss: Aldo He doesn't have another car to drive to wait on mailing the PCM off to get it unlocked either. I guess he will have to make up his mind what to do, right now I think he is looking to buy another PCM. 01 f-mody manual car

Delco
November 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM
it wouldn't let me read it at all. :nixweiss: Aldo He doesn't have another car to drive to wait on mailing the PCM off to get it unlocked either. I guess he will have to make up his mind what to do, right now I think he is looking to buy another PCM. 01 f-mody manual car

If it wont let you read it then it is locked

Scoota
November 5th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I would have though that if HPT are unable to read our custom operating system locked or unlocked then there is a good chance we can't read their's.
Daniel (as you have both), If the ecu is not locked, are we still able to over write with a full reflash. My experience with a HPT tuned ecu's was that I couldn't over-write it because they were actually lock.

Cheers Scotty.

Delco
November 5th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I would have though that if HPT are unable to read our custom operating system locked or unlocked then there is a good chance we can't read their's.
Daniel (as you have both), If the ecu is not locked, are we still able to over write with a full reflash. My experience with a HPT tuned ecu's was that I couldn't over-write it because they were actually lock.

Cheers Scotty.

EFILIVE does things a little differently , it will read the cal but not show it as it is a unsupported calibration , you can overwrite and unknown calibration if you want to take the risk that it is the right one for the PCM.

HPT because it links to a calibration stream and vin will not overwrite a custom EFILIVE system or be able to read it ( unless you have some very old software ) .

If you connect to it and it shows that it is a locked PCM then the seed and key routine has been modified and it is locked without the key ( or some good stuff to unlock it )

TLKSCHP
November 6th, 2006, 04:05 AM
well if it helps the tuner was soundenginer, some of you may know him. I guess he is on some concert tour with Alice in chains and will be here the 16th but no cable, it's at home. The odd thing is I have been able to read his custom os tunes on another car in the past so He must have locked this one and doesn't remember. So a new pcm will probably be the easy way out I guess.