PDA

View Full Version : PID Selection Problems

RevGTO
November 18th, 2006, 06:16 PM
After I save log files oftentimes a number of PIDs that I have logged show up as unsupported in the PID list. Today I created a PID selection for some logging and the list showed the Injector Duty Cycle PIDs as unsupported. I selected them anyway after the window popped up, and true to the warning, no data was logged for them. I've logged these PIDs many times. What is going on here?

Tordne
November 18th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Perhaps do a validate PIDS, and/or under the File menu select Enter VIN and select the OS # for your tune file.

RevGTO
November 19th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I've tried the latter and it didn't work for me. To validate the PIDs would mean hooking up to the car ... but I do a lot of the flashscan programming from my desktop here at home, rather than dragging my laptop back and forth from the office. I'm wondering if it's some mistake I'm making or if it's a buggy thing in the program ... the list of selected "unsupported" PIDs varies depending on what log files I've opened, what I've downloaded ... I can't seem to discover any logic in the program's behavior.

RevGTO
November 19th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Not to be a pest, but any answers/ideas???

Tordne
November 19th, 2006, 07:51 PM
If you have a look in your PIDs folder you will see files that match up with the VINs of vehicles you've connected to. These files contain the list of validated PIDs for that PCM.

I suspect that maybe you don't have files for some of the PCM's/VINs? Perhaps you need to log the laptop to them just once?

Also check that you have the latest build of the software (7.3.3).. Link in this thread (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3787).

RevGTO
November 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM
This deal is really random. For example, I just opened Scan without opening a log file. It shows a list of 22 selected PIDs, of which 18 show as unsupported - including PIDs like VSS and RPM. INJDC 1&2 are among the 4 supported PIDs. Then I open a log file and it shows a list of 19 PIDs, 3 of which are unsupported, including INJDC 1&2 this time. The only two cars that this unit has connected to have the identical powertrain and OS.
It seems like buggy behavior, but I'm a newb, so I don't want to jump to conclusions. I'm working on v7.3.2. Will the new release potentially clear this up? Thanks.

Blacky
November 21st, 2006, 12:49 AM
Updating to V7.3.3 will not change how the PIDs are validated except for Duramax Diesels that have a separate engine and trans computer.

When you connect to a vehicle, or load a log file, the operating system number and VIN are loaded into EFILive. You can see them in the status bar at the bottom of the EFILive Scan Tool window.

EFILive will ONLY flag PIDs valid for the given VIN based on what is in the *.vpl (valid pid list) file with a matching VIN in the folder \My Documents\EFILive\V7\PIDs.

The *.vpl files are created when you selet the Validate PIDs option.

If you load a log file that contains a VIN for which there is no matching *.vpl file then ONLY the PIDs in the log file will be marked as valid. In that cased, the list of valid PIDs will (obviously) change for each file that you load.

PIDs that end in _DMA are validated based on the operating system number that is currently active in EFILive.

External PIDs are validated based on which cable is connected to EFILive.

Calculated PIDs are validated based on the validity and selection of their dependent PIDs. Right click on a calculated PID and select More info... to see why it might be marked as invalid.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM
While researching another problem, (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=3846) I have just uncovered a problem with off-line PID validation. I am working on a solution for the next release.

Its to do with *.vpl files that include the _10, _11 and _18 PCM ID in the file name. If there is no conenction to a vehicle then the PCM ID is not known (i.e. zero) and so the correct *.vpl files are not used.

When multiple *.vpl files exist for a single VIN, I am adding the option to select which *.vpl file should be used.

Regards
Paul

RevGTO
November 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
I'm glad you've uncovered something, Paul. That explains what happened last time I logged.

I think I've just figured out the reason for what I experience with log files on my home computer. I've obviously never connected to my car from my desktop here at home, so the copy of Scan on this computer has never been through the PID validation process. It has the files that I've uploaded from Flashscan, but when I enter the VIN info it can't correlate the log files to proper set of validated PIDs and confusion results.