PDA

View Full Version : LS2 Tuning Experiences & Tips

oztracktuning
November 19th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I know many are interested in discussing the finer points of all the work that is 'best practise' with LS2 calibrations.

What i have gathered so far is the LS2 are much more fussy with what we do with them and throw a heap of codes easily.

The VE table is setup differently but the process to get it right is similar.
Timing in the Australian LS2s looks quite good - interested to see just how much and where we can add some more timing advance.

So far i have done 2 cars both with medium-big cams.

Steve

Redline Motorsports
November 19th, 2006, 04:54 AM
First......thanks Paul for setting this up! This will make the site much better to navigate.

I agree, the LS2 is real sensitive to minor changes. Wait to you see the LS7 stuff, its even worse!:bash:

I guess we can let the fun begin! oz, do you have a stock bin we can see from the Aussie cars?

Howard

Blacky
November 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM
It was not me :nixweiss:
One of the mods probably set it up.
But thanks to whoever did :)

Paul

dfe1
November 19th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I haven't done any cammed engines yet, but with a stock Trailblazer SS and C6 with headers, I haven't noticed any unusual sensitivity to tune changes, using the same approach as with LS1. I still can't figure out what kind of non-prescription pharmaceuticals the GM calibration engineeers take before developing the original calibrations. A lot of the 3-D graphs look like a topographical map of a mountain range-- not a sensible calibration for an internal combustion engine.

Redline Motorsports
November 19th, 2006, 10:18 AM
It was not me :nixweiss:
One of the mods probably set it up.
But thanks to whoever did :)

Paul

we'll thanks for whoever did!

HT

Tordne
November 19th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Ross would have done it - we don't have access to massage the forums structure :frown:

Extinct
November 19th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I haven't done any cammed engines yet, but with a stock Trailblazer SS and C6 with headers, I haven't noticed any unusual sensitivity to tune changes, using the same approach as with LS1. I still can't figure out what kind of non-prescription pharmaceuticals the GM calibration engineeers take before developing the original calibrations. A lot of the 3-D graphs look like a topographical map of a mountain range-- not a sensible calibration for an internal combustion engine.

So you have tuned your TBSS ? Which version do you have ?

dfe1
November 20th, 2006, 03:30 AM
V2 with 7.3.3 latest release.

The Alchemist
November 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Hi there Guys, I've only done 1 Holden LS2 so far. It was bog standard enginewise and therfore presented a real challenge to get real gains from tuning alone :)
Interestingly enough we acheived a 8kw repetable "gain" in the top end with 5% torque increase across the RPM under full load. This was achieved by reducing the full load timing to suit our piss water 95 octane fuel we have here in New Plymouth :( and therfore stopped the knock retard from going nuts which take most of the dyno run to roll back up to the high octane table.
The VE map was almost spot on except at 3200rpm between 50 to 80 kpa during the SD tuning. The lower MAF table was spot on and the upper MAF table needed the usual trim up to stop the over rich top end.
The customer reported a noticible improvement in throttle response better drivibility and a 0.4l/100km drop in fuel useage on a trip.
Holden certainly have spent a lot of time on the LS2 calibration to get it right. A huge improvement on the earlier LS1 calibration which were miles out.
Mike

horsepower
November 23rd, 2006, 02:07 AM
A lot of the 3-D graphs look like a topographical map of a mountain range.

I've always wondered about this too. Maybe I am missing something :nixweiss:

GMPX
November 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Holden certainly have spent a lot of time on the LS2 calibration to get it right. A huge improvement on the earlier LS1 calibration which were miles out.
Mike

Pretty sure the early VT/VX HSV calibrations were done by the kitchen staff down at HSV. ;)

Cheers,
Ross

dfe1
November 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Pretty sure the early VT/VX HSV calibrations were done by the kitchen staff down at HSV. ;)

Cheers,
Ross

Naw, the kitchen staff does better work than that. It clearly shows the "fingerprint" of the janitorial department.