PDA

View Full Version : Show off your timing...

SSpdDmon
November 21st, 2006, 04:18 AM
Just for kicks, post up your powertrain mods along with the stock timing table, current timing table, and maybe an explanation why you made the changes. Thought it might become a useful thread to those who don't know so much about timing...

2002 Z28 (A4)
SSRA, SLP lid, Pacesetters, ORYP, and Magnaflow

I made the following changes after comparing my stock file with a Corvette (A4) file. The C5 had quite a bit more timing in the low-mid range. A little smoothing was done to the light load areas. WOT was set to command the same values as the stock file would command different timing under WOT with a slight change in grams/cylinder. Now running 24*@6000RPM under WOT.

Stock Timing.......Current Timing

johnsZ06
November 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM
Mods are in the sig. Spark was derived from lot's of time behind the wheel and dyno. Best power was made at 28* at 80F IAT temp.

lakingslayer
November 21st, 2006, 02:42 PM
I know this is the gasser section but I thought I'd share my timing on my Duramax. GM has the timing adjusted for emissions at the cost of power and economy. Plus my injector pulse times went from example 1476usec to 3300usec. c:%5C
Stock timing ........ My Timing

Rhino79
November 21st, 2006, 05:13 PM
How do I get the table from the tune? I can't seem to find out how to get the image.

SSpdDmon
November 21st, 2006, 05:27 PM
Ctrl+PrtSc (Print Screen)

Then, you can paste it in MSPaint, size it down and save as a .jpg.

Rhino79
November 21st, 2006, 05:57 PM
Here's one of a 408, 10:1 compression, 233/239 113lsa cam, pacesetter's, no cats, 3" dual exhaust thru 12" bullets, stock truck intake and tb, full bolt-ons. This is in a reg cab 2wd truck, it seems to like 27* at WOT the best.

The Alchemist
November 21st, 2006, 07:24 PM
For those on 95 OCtane in New Zealand :( boo-hoo
under full load at 1800rpm I start on 16degrees, by 3600rpm I'm at 24 to 26 degrees, dropping out to 18degrees at 4800rpm and increasing to 22 degrees at 6200rpm. Will post an example later.

Mike

70LS_Nova
November 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Comp XR275HR
Not dyno tuned yet... but runs awesome!!

1970 Nova - 2001 Z28 LS1 A4
Comp XR275HR, Longtubes, Ported/Polished 241's
EFILive V2!!

bink
November 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
LS6 bottom end

LPE/GMPP LS6 heads

239/251, 106 lsa cam

90 mm Fast Intake 90 mm NW TB

Kooks 1 7/8 header

1103 1104

gto_in_nc
August 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM
OK, to what extent is smoother better?

SSpdDmon
August 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM
OK, to what extent is smoother better?
Wow, old post. http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Depends...some M6 cars use 'spark smoothing'. I have my smoothing turned off so that what is in the cell is commanded. That and my spark curve is fairly linear. Smoothness isn't really what I focus on when it comes to timing. It's the delta between the cells that's important - especially on the low end.

Example - If timing on a cam'd car is dropping 4* from 1600rpm to 1200rpm during decel, that's 0.5* every 50rpm. Any slight bucking can initiate some unwanted surging with bigger deltas like this because ripples become tidal waves fairly easily. Now, if you have only a 2* change from 1600rpm to 1200rpm, that's 0.5* every 100rpm. Better yet, a 1* change becomes a 0.5* every 200rpm. If RPM's want to start jumping around, the timing stays put. That's why I command 24*@1600 and 23*@1200 in my car. :)

gto_in_nc
August 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
How does your spark table now compare to what it looked like when you started this thread, SspdDmon?

Here's what mine looks like at the moment. It is undoubtedly leaving timing on the table by being overly smooth but I haven't paid much attention to spark (until tonight) on my head & cam combo, so I bumped it up in places and then smoothed it a good bit before starting AutoVE. I got some knock early on that I took care of with a regional approach, combined with lots of smoothing, followed by more AutoVE. My intention was to eliminate spark as a concern while taking a first crack at VE, then look at spark, then back to VE. Lather, rinse, repeat. And I figured a smooth surface is a nice foundation upon which to layer lumpiness based on experimentation.

KR is virtually nonexistant now but VE is looking nice so my thoughts are turning towards exploring spark a little...

macca_779
August 29th, 2007, 10:13 PM
This is mine stock and as it sits now. Mods are OTRCAI. Timing is a blend from the optimal timing table a few tweaks here and there and a lot of smoothing.

SSpdDmon
August 30th, 2007, 02:08 AM
How does your spark table now compare to what it looked like when you started this thread, SspdDmon?

Here's what mine looks like at the moment. It is undoubtedly leaving timing on the table by being overly smooth but I haven't paid much attention to spark (until tonight) on my head & cam combo, so I bumped it up in places and then smoothed it a good bit before starting AutoVE. I got some knock early on that I took care of with a regional approach, combined with lots of smoothing, followed by more AutoVE. My intention was to eliminate spark as a concern while taking a first crack at VE, then look at spark, then back to VE. Lather, rinse, repeat. And I figured a smooth surface is a nice foundation upon which to layer lumpiness based on experimentation.

KR is virtually nonexistant now but VE is looking nice so my thoughts are turning towards exploring spark a little...
Well, I had a different car when I started this thread (bolt-ons A4 '02 Z28). For shots of my high octane and base timing, you can see them in this thread:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=4661

I took the approach of an old distributor based setup. With little manifold vacuum, you have a ramp up and then a flat number. Then, as vacuum increases, you increase the timing. Seems to work great. :)