PDA

View Full Version : Help with LC-1

Chevy366
November 23rd, 2006, 08:21 AM
Man can someone here help me with my LC-1 (7wire Bosch LSU 4.2)?
I installed it according to the Quick start guide , red to 12V, blue to ground , green/white wires to other ground same source , hooked up the LED and switch and grounded it as well .
Tried to calibrate nothing happended , figured out that if you unhook the white wire (system ground) the unit tries to calibrate .
Purchased from sponsor Green Light Motorsport on this site.

TAQuickness
November 23rd, 2006, 03:23 PM
Chad is really good at helping folks out with the LC-1. Also, you might want to read over the LC1 tutorial - from the scan or tune tool, Help -> Tutorials -> LC-1 Installation Tutorial.pdf

Black02SS
November 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Check your grounds. They are really funny with a LC1. Where do you have them grounded to?

Chevy366
November 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Check your grounds. They are really funny with a LC1. Where do you have them grounded to?
I have them grounded inside the truck under the dash to a plate that is attached to the body , I think that is the ECU or some other electronic component bracket behind the OBDII port , I ran a wire outside to the engine block for both green/white and blue wires , still nothing .
I used the LogsWorks software to check the LC-1 cable , can program but no data .
I have read and read and read , I read for almost a week before I tried installing .
Was confident that it would go off without a hitch , guess what .
I think it is the cable , it never reacted as stated in all the documentation , with all wires connected red to 12V , white/green to ground , blue to ground but not at same lug as green/white , black to LED red , red LED to black switch , black LED to black switch to ground , LED never flashed , only if you removed the white wire from the ground point would it flash .
I had my laptop with me and read the tutorial and the .pdf as I was installing , read the quick start guide , have a EVDO card so read post also , read , read .

Will check grounds again .

TAQuickness
November 23rd, 2006, 11:49 PM
try setting it up per the tutorial.

highperf
November 24th, 2006, 07:55 AM
As folks are saying, with the LC-1's the most important thing is a good reliable ground. Run a wire directly to the engine block. That is the best ground.

Did the sensor calibrate at all at start-up ?

One other thing you may want to do is re-seat the sensor wire plug into the LC-1. Good ground then give her another try.

Jim

Chevy366
November 24th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Sounds like the LC-1 is powered and operating since you can connect and configure it with LogWorks.

As folks are saying, with the LC-1's the most important thing is a good reliable ground. Run a wire directly to the engine block. That is the best ground.

One other thing you may want to do is re-seat the sensor wire plug into the LC-1. Good ground then give her another try.

Jim

I theroy , but can't calibrate , can not read data with LogWorks , ran ground tried several different places on block , body , does not matter , un pluged turned switch on 20 , 10 seconds , done tutorial , pdf , you name it I have tried it , no success .
Got to be a faulty LC-1 , nothing works and has not from the start , I could see it if it worked for a short while then quit , but the unit has never worked period .
I am not an Idiot when comes to cars have been working on cars for over 20 years , mechanical and electrical , but can't wire a LC-1 cable .
I have to admit some of this is new to me but wiring is wiring , red wire is red wire , explain to me why when the white wire (system ground) is grounded nothing works ?

highperf
November 24th, 2006, 08:15 AM
It's possible it's faulty. Sometimes if the ground isn't good from the start you can burn the LC-1 out. But with these things if the ground isn't right they'll just won't want to work.

No matter either way Innovate is great and they'll stand behind it.

For peace of mind you can contact Innovate they'll replace it pretty quick.

Also when you disconnect that white wire, it's likely flashing an error not trying to calibrate.

Jim

TAQuickness
November 24th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I theroy , but can't calibrate , can not read data with LogWorks , ran ground tried several different places on block , body , does not matter , un pluged turned switch on 20 , 10 seconds , done tutorial , pdf , you name it I have tried it , no success .
Got to be a faulty LC-1 , nothing works and has not from the start , I could see it if it worked for a short while then quit , but the unit has never worked period .
I am not an Idiot when comes to cars have been working on cars for over 20 years , mechanical and electrical , but can't wire a LC-1 cable .
I have to admit some of this is new to me but wiring is wiring , red wire is red wire , explain to me why when the white wire (system ground) is grounded nothing works ?

I was thinking the same thing while I got my ass kicked by an LC-1 :muahaha:

The tutorial is about as accurate an install you can get. IF you followed the tutorial to a T and it still don't work, then I would suspect a faulty chingaso somewhere.

Garry
November 24th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I originally had some minor problems, but after cleaning up the ground links, my LC-1 worked fine ...

Chevy366
November 24th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I was thinking the same thing while I got my ass kicked by an LC-1 :muahaha:

The tutorial is about as accurate an install you can get. IF you followed the tutorial to a T and it still don't work, then I would suspect a faulty chingaso somewhere.

So I have joined a elite club then ?:)
Let me ask it like this then , do the green and white wires need to be connected for a free air calibration to occur ?

highperf
November 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Yes ground them. Ground'em all ground the whole da** lot of'em :muahaha:

Then give it a try :help2:

Jim

Chevy366
November 25th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Well found out some things out , the black calibration wire should have a pluse of 0 to 5v , mine don't , so with out the calibration working the LC-1 is useless .
I also learned that if the brown or yellow wire touch anything the LC-1 dies .:muahaha:

Doc
November 27th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Do you have a serial to usb converter? If so which brand? Furthermore, did you power up the LC-1 controller without the sensor connected at first? Essentially forcing a heater calibration, that needs to take place prior to the free air cal. If I misunderstood you and you did try to monitor the start up / warm up / heater / free air cals via the serial output (with serial to usb conveter- as most laptops today only have usb) as viewed in LogWorks on your laptop then I apologize. When is Innovate going to upgrade the old serial out to usb anyways? At any rate, how are you coming along?

Chevy366
November 27th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Do you have a serial to usb converter? If so which brand? Furthermore, did you power up the LC-1 controller without the sensor connected at first? Essentially forcing a heater calibration, that needs to take place prior to the free air cal. If I misunderstood you and you did try to monitor the start up / warm up / heater / free air cals via the serial output (with serial to usb conveter- as most laptops today only have usb) as viewed in LogWorks on your laptop then I apologize. When is Innovate going to upgrade the old serial out to usb anyways? At any rate, how are you coming along?

Yes to USB to serial converter , Radio Shack version .
Yes powered LC-1 without sensor attached .
No did not try to monitor heater, free air calibration , with laptop .
At this point I have given up , without calibrations the unit is useless , so going to contact Innovate and see what they say .
I did check the ground point I selected it is fine , I did hook up to laptop and got readings both with LogWorks and EFILive but where way off due to not being able to calibrate .
Again the only way I can get any response from the calibration process from the LC-1 is to remove the White unit or system ground , not suppose to have to do that , I checked the Black calibration wire with a Ohm meter and it reads 0.083 most volts shown .
I have checked the LED and it stil functions correctly , and so does the switch .
Oh and thanks for asking how it is going .

highperf
November 27th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Yes to USB to serial converter , Radio Shack version .
Yes powered LC-1 without sensor attached .
No did not try to monitor heater, free air calibration , with laptop .
At this point I have given up , without calibrations the unit is useless , so going to contact Innovate and see what they say .
I did check the ground point I selected it is fine , I did hook up to laptop and got readings both with LogWorks and EFILive but where way off due to not being able to calibrate .
Again the only way I can get any response from the calibration process from the LC-1 is to remove the White unit or system ground , not suppose to have to do that , I checked the Black calibration wire with a Ohm meter and it reads 0.083 most volts shown .
I have checked the LED and it stil functions correctly , and so does the switch .
Oh and thanks for asking how it is going . tunedbyGM, At this point you may just want to contact Innovate. Try the Innovate forum. If they even think you have a faulty unit they'll you have send it in they will replace it. quicker than spit. Just tell them at this point you just can't trust it.

Jim

joecar
November 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Measure the voltage between the LC-1 red and blue wires, make sure it is better than 12V.

Chevy366
November 27th, 2006, 12:53 PM
tunedbyGM, At this point you may just want to contact Innovate. Try the Innovate forum. If they even think you have a faulty unit they'll you have send it in they will replace it. quicker than spit. Just tell them at this point you just can't trust it.

Jim

I called and spoke with Felipe , I belive his name was , and he walked me through the calibration process , ascertained that the LC-1 was bad , RMA process started .
When doing calibration it did the heater , then would not do free air , kept flashing 20.9 then cailbrating on and off , Felipe thouhgt maybe it was because the black wire was grounded but it was not , said he had not seen this behavor before and wanted to RMA it .
Man if I had known about the LogWorks being able to watch the calibration process it would have made things alot easier . Thanks "Doc" , Felipe had me do it that way .
I wish Innovate would have included that little tid bit of info in their Quick Start Guide (hint , hint ) !

highperf
November 27th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I called and spoke with Felipe , I belive his name was , and he walked me through the calibration process , ascertained that the LC-1 was bad , RMA process started .
When doing calibration it did the heater , then would not do free air , kept flashing 20.9 then cailbrating on and off , Felipe thouhgt maybe it was because the black wire was grounded but it was not , said he had not seen this behavor before and wanted to RMA it .
Man if I had known about the LogWorks being able to watch the calibration process it would have made things alot easier . Thanks "Doc" , Felipe had me do it that way .
I wish Innovate would have included that little tid bit of info in their Quick Start Guide (hint , hint ) !Yeah, Sorry I didn't catch that and suggest it. I find the Logworks software very helpfull. I have had my LC-1's for some time and the Logworks that was delivered with my version of LC-1's actually didn't work with them. I got a non GA copy from Klaus and got by with that.

Once you get over this hurdle you'll love them.

Jim

Chevy366
November 27th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah, Sorry I didn't catch that and suggest it. I find the Logworks software very helpfull. I have had my LC-1's for some time and the Logworks that was delivered with my version of LC-1's actually didn't work with them. I got a non GA copy from Klaus and got by with that.

Once you get over this hurdle you'll love them.

Jim

Yeah , knowledge is power , and I have more now than before .
LogWorks is the way to calibrate the LC-1 .
From what I have seen with EFILive and a LC-1 this is a great way to tune , AutoVE and tune away .

Thanks everyone for the help !