PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to the EFI Live crew and a couple of questions

mistermike
November 24th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Firstly, let me express my excitement and enthusiasm after receiving my V2 upgrade. This thing is wonderful beyond my expectations. Congratulations to Paul, Ross, and Donna for their hard work and dedication!

I haven't been able to locate information regarding using the serial Dyno interface. Is this something that will come onstream in an upcoming firmware version?

Is there any residual functionality in an upgraded V1 interface? I was thinking I might be able to use the blackbox logging until the V2 firmware is ready. If not, I understand fully, as it would not make good economic sense to leave it functional. If that's the case, then maybe I should have it bronzed and hang it from my rearview mirror, or maybe convert it into an MP3 player or lie detector or something.:muahaha:

highperf
November 24th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Is there any residual functionality in an upgraded V1 interface? I was thinking I might be able to use the blackbox logging until the V2 firmware is ready. If not, I understand fully, as it would not make good economic sense to leave it functional. If that's the case, then maybe I should have it bronzed and hang it from my rearview mirror, or maybe convert it into an MP3 player or lie detector or something.:muahaha: I painted my V1 interface RED and mounted it in the Engine compartment. It's good for 8rwhp and 9rwtq.

Seriously I did a before after Dyno. :wave:

I echo your comments to EFILive THIS THING IS GREAT! Congrats Guys!

Jim

mistermike
November 24th, 2006, 03:43 AM
RED rules.

kbracing96
November 24th, 2006, 04:42 AM
It is my understanding that the the V1 will still function just as it did. It will still log, bblog, and tune the pcm's that are locked to it. You just can't add any new vins or use any of the open vins you transferred to your new V-2. Still very functional ;)

TAQuickness
November 24th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I agree with KB. If I understood the guys right, the V1 can be kept as a back up cable once you upgrade to V2.

dc_justin
November 24th, 2006, 09:50 AM
It is my understanding that the the V1 will still function just as it did. It will still log, bblog, and tune the pcm's that are locked to it. You just can't add any new vins or use any of the open vins you transferred to your new V-2. Still very functional ;)

Yep, that is exactly how Paul explained it to me.

mistermike
November 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks, guys. Since my car's been down for several months, I've been a little lax about keeping up with the board. I've got some catching up to do, as I'll be trying to fire up an engine with more displacement, heads, cam, and a bigger blower.

TAQuickness
November 25th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Sounds like your catching up will be fun. I know the feeling though. My bird's been down almost a month waiting for new tires.....

mistermike
November 25th, 2006, 03:27 AM
It's amazing how much progress everyone has made with their tuning knowledge and skills. I feel like a newbie again.

Any more info on the dyno serial interface?

Blacky
November 25th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Any more info on the dyno serial interface?

It's a future enhancement. It is scheduled for implementation after BB logging and standalone reading/flashing is complete.

Regards
Paul

mistermike
November 25th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks again. The concept of a firmware controlled unit makes a lot of sense, and will certainly give the product good "legs" and a much longer hardware obsolescence cycle. I'm grateful for the old addage that "good thinking costs no more than bad thinking." Othewise I wouldn't be able to afford it!

johnv
December 5th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Just to clarify , once vins are transfered from V1 to V2 , will I still be able to use V1 on those PCM's ?:Eyecrazy: (as a back up)

or only V2 !

kbracing96
December 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
All licenses on V1 will still do everything they did before, you just won't be able to add any new ones after you upgrade and copy (a better word) vins to V2 ;) .

johnv
December 5th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Cool:D and if you had unused licences on V1 that you did not transfer, they would still be able to be used on V1 , right.

TAQuickness
December 6th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I believe so

Garry
December 6th, 2006, 05:25 AM
All licenses on V1 will still do everything they did before, you just won't be able to add any new ones after you upgrade and copy (a better word) vins to V2 ;) .
So, I got my V1 cable here, with one PCM license used - new V2 should show up soon I recon (Richard?) with two PCM licenses unused - so the one V1 PCM license could get transfered, still keeping the two PCM licences free?

kbracing96
December 6th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Yep!, but you can only use the license transfer tool once, so if you have any other unused licenses on you V1 you need to choose whether to leave them (which you can still use them) on your V1, or transfer them to your V2 when you copy your used licenses to the V2.

Garry
December 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
So, if I transfer my PCM ID over, and the unused PCM license is left (and eventually used), can additional licenses still be installed on the V1 cable?

kbracing96
December 6th, 2006, 10:51 AM
So, if I transfer my PCM ID over, and the unused PCM license is left (and eventually used), can additional licenses still be installed on the V1 cable?
Nope, once you use the transfer program, no more licenses can be added to the cable. In fact, you would have to check with Paul on this, but I believe once you use the serial number from a V1 to upgrade V1 to V2, I don't believe they will let you add licenses to that V1 either way. You would have to out right buy a V2 to still be able to add licenses to your V1. That's why the upgrade is cheaper. There just letting you keep the V1 as a spare tool since it would do them no good to have a bunch of old V1 sitting in the corner.