PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric Efficiency PID

mnotx
November 27th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I am not able to get this PID to work. The Formula is missing the engine "displacement" figure, so it cannot calculate properly. I haven't been able to figure out how to insert the displacement.

As a side note (possibly related), I cannot get the "engine" displacement selection under Edit/Default Customer Details/Vehicle Options to remain selected. It blanks itself out every time I close and re-open the program. All other fields remain properly selected.

To make things more confusing, the proper engine displacement is selected when I view the customer information under EFILive/V7/Customers (see below). I just can't get it to remain selected under Vehicle Options. Any ideas?

[FILE]
VERSION=7.3.3
DECSEP=.
[CUSTOMER]
CUSTOMER_NAME=
CUSTOMER_ADDRESS=
CUSTOMER_PHONE=
CUSTOMER_FAX=
CUSTOMER_EMAIL=
VIN=1G1YY22G435xxxxxx
TAG=
REGO=
DIFF_RATIO=3.15
TRANSMISSION=Auto 4 speed
INJECTORS=Sequential (SFI)
GVM=1458000
DISPLACEMENT=5669
INDUCTION=Natural
MOD_COLDAIR=0
MOD_THROTTLE=0
MOD_CAM=0
MOD_VALVE=0
MOD_TRACTION=0
MOD_IGNITION=0
MOD_PCMCAL=0
MOD_MAF=0
MOD_HEADERS=0
MOD_EXHAUST=1
MOD_N2O=0
MOD_HEADS=0
COMMENTS=

TAQuickness
November 27th, 2006, 05:33 AM
The engine displacement is in the scantool properties.

mnotx
November 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I can only find it in scantool under Edit/Default Customer Details/Vehicle Options. This is the one I can't get to remain selected. What would I look under in the scantool Properties section? I must be missing it somehow.

Thanks.

5.7ute
November 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Try on the scantool toolbar Display/Change default customer details or hit CTRL+D.

mnotx
November 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM
OK. Tried that, but it did not save the engine displacement. It's weird...it saves all of the other vehicle information (tranny, differential, weight, etc), but it won't save the engine displacement. If I close out then re-open the program, it is blank again.

I am wondering if this is why the VE PID doesn't work. It needs the engine displacement, but the engine displacement won't remain selected.

5.7ute
November 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM
That is strange. I just played around with mine & changed the cubic capacity & whatever value I gave it has saved. At the bottom of the screen there should be a window with the vehicle details. Is this there with yours.

mnotx
November 27th, 2006, 03:30 PM
The window lists the customer VIN, Auto tranny, and EFILive calibration defination file. No Displacement.

Would you look at your VE PID (volumetric efficiency) for me? Right click it and select "more info." See if your displacement is listed, or if it just lists the word "displacement" in the calculation formula. Mine just lists "displacement" and goes on to state the PID value cannot be determined due to an error: dividing by zero........(ie the missing displacement value.)

Thanks.

5.7ute
November 27th, 2006, 03:42 PM
No mine just lists the word displacement in the calc formula. Right under the formula is where it will state if the pid is valid or not.
Mine also goes on to state that a value cannot be determined due to a divide by zero error.
I will have a play & get back to you.

mnotx
November 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Well, at least it is not just me on the VE PID. Now all I have to do is figure out what I am doing wrong with the customer details. I learned a long time ago that most "glitches" are me, and not the computer. I think I will try deleting the customer details and re-save them again.

Thanks for all of your help.

mnotx
November 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM
OK, I deleted the file from the customer folder and re-saved it. That was all it took to get the displacement to remain selected. Now my default customer info is correct.

All I have to do is figure out how to make the VE PID work. Do I need to re-write the formula somewhere and fill in the displacement?

TAQuickness
November 27th, 2006, 04:25 PM
shouldn't have to. the pid looks into the customer data for the displacement.

5.7ute
November 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I replaced displacement with 5669 & the pid then worked. There must be a problem that doesnt transfer the displacement from the customer details into the formula.
Note that even changing the formula it will still say it isnt valid due to a divide by zero until the log file starts.

mnotx
November 28th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Where did you replace the displacement?

TAQuickness
November 28th, 2006, 03:45 AM
there is no replacement for displacement :D

Ninety8C5
November 28th, 2006, 06:47 AM
It looks like there is a typo in the sae_generic.txt file for VE, 28.96x8=231.68 not 321.68.

That would need to be corrected before you use it.

The CALC.VEPCT_V8 PID needs the GM.VETABLE_DMA PID to be selected. It is not a supported PID for my car, but if I select it anyway, I can select CALC.VEPCT_V8. Will the results be any good if the GM PID is not supported?

5.7ute
November 28th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Have a look through the Efilive/V7/configuration/sae generic text file. It is in the calc pids section about 3/4 of the way down. I have sent a pm to Blacky & hopefully he will be able to have a look & see what the issue is.

mnotx
November 28th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I replaced displacement with 5669 & the pid then worked. There must be a problem that doesnt transfer the displacement from the customer details into the formula.
Note that even changing the formula it will still say it isnt valid due to a divide by zero until the log file starts.

Inserted and working. Thanks! That was all it took.:cheers:

mnotx
November 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
It looks like there is a typo in the sae_generic.txt file for VE, 28.96x8=231.68 not 321.68.

That would need to be corrected before you use it.

I am having trouble finding this calculation. I found the VE calc and inserted the displacement as 5.7ute suggested (VE PID now works) , but did not see the typo calculation you mentioned.

Even though the VE PID works now, the typo in the calculation you mentioned would throw it way off.

5.7ute
November 28th, 2006, 03:25 PM
That is a bit further down the same file. Just after the wideband pids.

Ninety8C5
November 28th, 2006, 03:34 PM
That is a bit further down the same file. Just after the wideband pids.

Look for 'CLC-00-940'.

mnotx
November 29th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Got it! Thanks!:cheers: