PDA

View Full Version : Bill for Duty From UPS?

VortechC5
December 1st, 2006, 01:19 PM
I received a bill from UPS today for $10.08, $5.00 for a disbursement fee and $5.08 for duty. This is from my V2 order. Is this a normal thing for an international transaction?

Trippin
December 1st, 2006, 02:05 PM
Yes, perfectly normal. :frown:

VortechC5
December 1st, 2006, 02:25 PM
Ok, thanks.

Garry
December 1st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Lucky you, that's not much ... many years ago, UPS tried to screw me over by charging me for a modem I received from the states twice - once while delivering, and once again a couple weeks later - and it wasn't just 5 bucks ... I believe the driver must have been pocketing those extra charges, as he conveniently forgot to give me a receipt, which made it quite a bit harder for me later on ... I lucked out, arguing that as it was supposed to have been POA, I wouldn't have been given the package hadn't I ...

Oh well ... things you learn ...

Luckily, no extra duties between UK and Germany ... :) but still a week to go before V2 units arrive at Richard's place :(

mnotx
December 2nd, 2006, 03:40 AM
I received a bill from UPS today for $10.08, $%.00 for a disbursement fee and $5.08 for duty. This is from my V2 order. Is this a normal thing for an international transaction?

I received the very same bill yesterday.

joecar
December 4th, 2006, 06:51 AM
That is courtesy of US Customs (UPS had to front up the fee).

dc_justin
December 4th, 2006, 07:31 AM
That is courtesy of US Customs (UPS had to front up the fee).
So, hypothetically, what happens if we were to stiff the UPS? :muahaha:

VortechC5
December 4th, 2006, 11:07 AM
That would be indirectly stiffing the US Gov... :eek:

mnotx
December 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM

They will kick your packages around, breaking everything inside, then leave them unsigned for on your porch for the neighborhood thieves to consider!:D

(So, what's different?)

Tordne
December 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I get hit with GST (Goods and Services TAX) for all the stuff I bring in from the US. Bring on an international community where moving stuff around doesn't suck!

mnotx
December 5th, 2006, 02:56 AM
I wouldn't mind all of these taxes if they went to something necessary and beneficial. Unfortunately they seem to go to more government perks and salaries....or to buy more votes.

If the U.S. voters would do just one thing to help us all, it would be to demand that government officials participate in the same Social Security/Medicare/Retirement system as the rest of us! :mad:

Garry
December 5th, 2006, 03:08 AM
It's like that everywhere (more or less) ... politicians that have a seat in the German parliament receive the right to a full pension after 8 years of membership, which is higher than ANY normal person in the country could possibly earn within their lifespan ...

Lennart
December 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM
It's like that everywhere (more or less) ... politicians that have a seat in the German parliament receive the right to a full pension after 8 years of membership, which is higher than ANY normal person in the country could possibly earn within their lifespan ...

x2 :nixweiss:

Lennart
December 24th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I received a bill from UPS today for $10.08, $5.00 for a disbursement fee and $5.08 for duty. This is from my V2 order. Is this a normal thing for an international transaction?

You got lucky...UPS in Germany charged a total of over 30 EUR, wich is like $40. :eek:

Garry
December 24th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Yeah .. probably something like 16% VAT + couple percent customs tax ...

ringram
December 25th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Thats nothing. I got charged $429 US for a $1460 order.

UK charges 17.5% on top of the full cost of the goods + shipping charges + duty. So total cost is like 30% extra!

So I wouldnt complain too much.

Add that onto what we pay for petrol and you are looking at a pretty messed up tax system.