PDA

View Full Version : Updated FTDI Drivers Required

Tordne
December 1st, 2006, 04:06 PM
Beep Beep (said the RoadRunner - sorry very sad),

I just got my new RoadRunner this morning and found that I couldn't communicate with it :(

After a small panic and a bit more research I found that there must be a new FTDI chip used in the new devices... I found a new driver on the FTDI web site which solved the problem - this driver is only for the RoadRunner, not FlashScan V1 or V2!

Follow this LINK (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm) and download version 2.00.00 drivers. I don't know if the x64 drivers will work with 64 bit Windows but the standard (32 bit) drivers worked a treat.

Hopefully this helps someone else :)

Cheers,

Tordne
December 11th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Just a quick follow up from a question I was just asked...

The EFILive drivers (version 3.1.2) that are used for FlashScan V1 & V2 will detect and partially load for the new RoadRunners. The following instructions/steps will take you through updating the device/driver already detected.

I'm going to assume that you are using Windows XP for these instruction.

1) Plug in the RoadRunner to your pc/laptop
2) Get the 2.00 drivers I linked you to in the other post
3) Extract the driver package to your desktop (or anywhere else you like)
4) Go into 'Device Manager' - Right click on 'My Computer' and choose 'Manage', then click on the 'Device Manager' in the left pane
5) In the device tree in the right pane there will be a section 'Universal Serial Bus controllers', expand this branch
6) You will probably see a device something like 'FTD2XX' or similar.
7) Right clink in this device and choose 'Update Driver...'
8) Choose 'No, not at this time' to the question about searching Windows Update (if asked)
9) Choose 'Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)'
10) Select the 'Search for best driver in these locations'
11) Check ONLY the 'Include this location in the search'
12) Click the 'Browse' button and navigate to the folder where you extracted the drivers (from Step 3)
13) Then click 'OK', and then 'Next' on the other dialog
14) This should do it

Good luck,

Tordne
December 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM
To get it working you may also need to:

1) Open the Tune Tool
2) Go to the Edit->Properties menu option
3) Change to the RoadRunner tab
4) Change Connection Type to Virtual COM Port

Hopefully this should have you connecting to your RoadRunner :)

Cheers,

oztracktuning
December 13th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I just got my Roadrunner, Do i need different drivers for RR than what we are using for Flashscan V2.

Tordne
December 13th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah I'd say you need these instructions :) "A" driver will load if you use the same drivers as V2 but it won't work.

Delco
February 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Beep Beep (said the RoadRunner - sorry very sad),

I just got my new RoadRunner this morning and found that I couldn't communicate with it :(

After a small panic and a bit more research I found that there must be a new FTDI chip used in the new devices... I found a new driver on the FTDI web site which solved the problem - this driver is only for the RoadRunner, not FlashScan V1 or V2!

Follow this LINK (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm) and download version 2.00.00 drivers. I don't know if the x64 drivers will work with 64 bit Windows but the standard (32 bit) drivers worked a treat.

Hopefully this helps someone else :)

Cheers,

Link no work :bawl:

Biggsy
February 4th, 2007, 07:51 PM
link works for me

Dave.

Delco
February 4th, 2007, 08:01 PM
link works for me

Dave.

Working for me too now ?????

Is there anyway to remove all USB drivers , been fighting for the last 4 hrs with a system that seems to have all drivers installed but unable to get a RR connection , having the same issue on two computers with new installs.

Black02SS
February 5th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I had the same problem until I used the self extracting files from Craig's site.

TAQuickness
February 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Delco - from the device manager, verify the com port number of the RR. It needs to be from 1 - 16 IIRC.

Delco
February 5th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Delco - from the device manager, verify the com port number of the RR. It needs to be from 1 - 16 IIRC.

Yes its on com6 , the issue I think I had was some of the 4 usb ports work , some dont ??? and everytime I plug into a different one it asks for more drivers - windows AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Blacky
February 5th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Is there anyway to remove all USB drivers
http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm

Grab the FTClean.zip file from that page. It completely cleans out ALL FTDI USB drivers from your system so you can start with a clean install if required.

Regards
Paul

ringram
February 6th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Any comment on 64bit support. I note they have 64bit drivers, but the inf file was no good and my redneck hack job on the .inf only served to get half way further through the install.

Doc
February 6th, 2007, 06:57 AM
...my redneck hack job on the .inf ....

LOL! You must come from a really sunny part of London I was not aware of. Do you have a gunrack in the back of your pickup truck.

Sorry, I could not resist.

:muahaha:

Blacky
February 6th, 2007, 07:22 AM
John Skiba and I went through the 64-bit driver thing a while back until I realized that (just like under Unix) you can't use 64 bit drivers/libraries with a 32 bit application.

The FTDI 64 bit drivers will never work with EFILive until I make a 64 bit executable. That won't happen for some months yet.

Regards
Paul

ringram
February 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Ah, ok cool thanks Sir.

Doc, as it happens I shoot IPSC practical shotgun. I even managed to win the british open a couple of times!

http://www.kaneohegs.com/images/ipsc_3.jpg

V8's and guns are a natural mix..

Tordne
February 6th, 2007, 11:55 AM
V8's and guns are a natural mix..

:eek:

ringram
February 6th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Maximum power and violence mate :D
All in a controlled manner of course.

mnotx
February 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Maximum power and violence mate :D
All in a controlled manner of course.

If you ever get to the U.S., look me up. I'll introduce you to class 3 sports. I have one that spits out 30 rounds a second. Full of tracers, it looks like a chopped up laser beam!:D

sweetdiesel
July 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I just purchased a new computer JUST for tuning my truck and for some reason I cant read/write tunes I can connect to the truck It keeps telling me that i need to register it?

I have it registered under the help menu and Ive tripple checked the data was correct

I can use my other laptop and everything works but my new one wont read or write?

mr.prick
July 15th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Copy the license.txt from your old PC to your new one to be sure that it is formatted right.

sweetdiesel
July 16th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Copy the license.txt from your old PC to your new one to be sure that it is formatted right.

Thanks, I will try that. :)

sweetdiesel
July 16th, 2009, 03:11 AM

Um, It does not allow me to copy the text?

I tried entering it again and same thing? I dont get it, there must be something else I am doing wrong ?

This really isnt complicated I am just entering the numbers and letters
but it is frustrating

mr.prick
July 16th, 2009, 03:19 AM
:confused:
Remove the license.txt located in
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration of your new PC and replace it with a copy of the one from your old PC.
This will remove any and all doubt whether or not it is formatted right.
If you get the error with one PC and not the other, then it must be
the license.txt

Have you flashed your truck before?
The license for the software in not the same as a license for the PCM.
The PCM license is in the Flashscan device itself.

Post a shot of the error.

sweetdiesel
July 16th, 2009, 03:59 AM
:confused:
Remove the license.txt located in
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration of your new PC and replace it with a copy of the one from your old PC.
This will remove any and all doubt whether or not it is formatted right.
If you get the error with one PC and not the other, then it must be
the license.txt

Have you flashed your truck before?
The license for the software in not the same as a license for the PCM.
The PCM license is in the Flashscan device itself.

Post a shot of the error.

Thankyou so much that worked!

you are the best!!!!

EagleMark
October 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM
This is a really old thread and I remember USB FTDI driver issues for everything back then.

But is there any issues with drivers today? EFI Live can not find my RR, but all drivers are running other Moates devices and all my cables. No issues in years.

joecar
October 10th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Yes, uninstall the latest FTDI USB driver and install the older one

Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Tools->USB Manager

EagleMark
October 10th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I have no old drivers after the laptop crash. Do you know what driver is needed so I can find it?

EDIT V2.02.04 is an option in V8 USB drivers, is this the one?

joecar
October 10th, 2012, 03:26 AM
The old/new drivers come with the EFILive software install.

EagleMark
October 10th, 2012, 04:01 AM
And it works with VCP checked. EFI Live found it, now I just need the license...

Is there anything you can't fix Joe? :coool: