PDA

View Full Version : v2 ate my battery (News of the World story)

ringram
December 9th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Ok I forgot to unplug my scan unit. I used to leave v1 in the car.
Ive had issues with near dead battery only recently and thought the battery was on the way out. Had to jump start today.

When getting out the car I noticed the v2 unit was still on full bore with backlight and everything, DUH! Now I remembered...

Moral of the story remember to unplug your v2 from the ODBII/CAN port else prepare for battery death.

BTW It took 2 weeks to get to that stage.

Garry
December 9th, 2006, 04:54 AM
You didn't drive your car for two straight weeks? :shock:

ringram
December 9th, 2006, 05:42 AM
sshhh,

Dont tell anyone but I had to leave it behind when I went to South Africa on holiday!

Tordne
December 9th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Did you turn off the display with the CTRL+. key combo? That is what I do, but then again it is NEVER two weeks between drives :)

TAQuickness
December 9th, 2006, 06:33 AM
V2 hasn't killed my battery yet - it's sat for up to 3 weeks. But, if I leave my laptop charger plugged in, it will kill my battery in 5 days.

GMPX
December 23rd, 2006, 02:50 AM
My stereo kills mine in a few hours :muahaha:

ringram
January 2nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Did you turn off the display with the CTRL+. key combo? That is what I do, but then again it is NEVER two weeks between drives :)

No, but thanks for the info dude. Ill try that. Though I suspect if I remember to do that I might as well unplug.

Tordne
January 2nd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Nope. You do it once and it stays like that ;)

Being are currently (almost) unemployed bum I hadn't driven my car for a week. It only just cranked :)

dc_justin
January 5th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Guess I should have read the manual. :D I didn't realize you could turn off the screen. V2 chomps through my laptop battery much much quicker than my V1 cable. It's gotten to the point now where 20 minutes from a full charge and the laptop is completely dead. At least it's the work laptop. :)

Tordne
January 5th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I believe the CTRL+0 key combination turns off the backlight only as well.