PDA

View Full Version : Why do you have to change Theft settings?

Tordne
December 10th, 2006, 06:48 AM
When ever I have installed and used a RoadRunner I have had to change the G1201 (Anti Theft Configuration) option to None (stock/normal PCM it is set to Class-2 on my car).

Without this setting being changed to None the car just will not start at all.

So, I'm interested to try and understand:
1) Why this is?
2) Does setting this to None affect anything like the BCM for example?

Thanks guys :cheers:

Cheers,

Blacky
December 10th, 2006, 07:49 AM
The PCM and BCM are security linked. If you replace the PCM in a vehicle (without performing a VAT relink) then the vehicle anti theft system will not allow the vehicle to start. That is to prevent someone replacing the PCM with one that has the VATs switched off, in order to steal the vehicle. After all it is a pretty simple job to replace a PCM.

Regards
Paul

Tordne
December 10th, 2006, 07:55 AM
So there is something specific to the RoadRunner PCM that requires this to be set to None then, in Holden's anyway?

The VAT relink option says it's invalid on a RoadRunner PCM. So I guess it means that my car is less secure (don't tell anyone) :eek:

ringram
December 10th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Time to setup the Valet option dude.

Set max rpm lower than idle and see if it kills start.
Every time I get back from holiday and try and drive off down the road. I wonder why my car cuts out.. Oh yeah, valet mode! Hehe. I set max rpm to 1200 and MPH to 10.

Tordne
December 10th, 2006, 09:15 AM
So.. Did you have to set G1201 to None as well then? I guess it would be preferable to be able to set it back to Class-2 and have the car work as well...

You can wire me up a Valet switch when you are over next - I've got the PCM connectors ready for ya :muahaha:

Doc
December 11th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Interesting Phenomonom, never had it happen in Fbodies, Corvettes, or Silverados that I have put the RR in.

TNT76
December 11th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I have mine in my 2002 monaro and i cant remember having to do this.
Also had it in another guys 2001 SS and didnt have to do it.
Cheers

Tordne
December 12th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Those of you that have not had to change this, do your RoadRunners have the flash chip also or just the RAM emulator?

VT LS1 NZ
December 12th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Those of you that have not had to change this, do your RoadRunners have the flash chip also or just the RAM emulator?

I've had two RoadRunners one with now the one I have doesn't have the flash chip no problems with either.
Ive used it in 2000 & 2002 Holden.

Tordne
December 12th, 2006, 07:40 AM
And I assume you still have the BCM in your car?

VT LS1 NZ
December 12th, 2006, 07:54 AM
And I assume you still have the BCM in your car?

Yes!

TNT76
December 12th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Yes I am sure mine has the flash chip, but have never implented it or flashed a bin to it.
Does this require the use of a license for the flash chip?

Black02SS
December 12th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Mine is active and works fine. I have only had a couple of cars that I have needed to set it to none on.

Highlander
December 13th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Actually.. that could have been a problem i had with mine... that it didn't want to fire up.. but the car did fire up once... there were no anti theft codes present nor the security light was blinking so that was ruled out as the culprit... i wil lbe testing though this week... i got my new RR finally from craig (not because craig was slow but because I was slow sending mine back).

Tordne
December 13th, 2006, 06:47 AM
We played a bit yesterday and I changed my setting back t Class-2 just to see what happens. Well bugger me if the car didn't start right up :eek:

Tried a few other scenarios but were unable to come up with anything conclusive.

TAQuickness
December 13th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Any chance the PCM wire harness weren't 100% secured? You are using your torque wrench on them right?

Tordne
December 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Pretty happy that all was good connection wise. Would have been nice to have been that simple :)

limited cv8r
January 6th, 2007, 01:42 AM
After installation of my RR, I also had to change mine to none to get my car to start (2004 monaro). At key on, no fuel prime, nothing. After the car is running I can switch between "none" or "pwm" no worries but if I select class 2 the car dies. Did you do anything in particular Tordne to get class 2 working?:help2:

Tordne
January 6th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I didn't make any changes to the setting in real-time at all... I basically changed it back to Class-2 in my tune file and uploaded it to the RoadRunner, and to my surprise the car cranked straight away.

GMPX
January 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM
The problem is the VATS security codes must be written into flash, the routines in the PCM that do that are expecting to see flash memory, not RAM (like in RoadRunner). So a RoadRunner PCM will never be able to learn the Class2 VATS codes.
On vehicles that use PWM VATS, this is not an issue because there is no individual coding (PCM <> BCM).

Holden guys, although the PCM has anti-theft turned off, they key/BCM combination is still in place, so the vehicle is not vulnerable to theft, it still would not crank if hotwired.

Cheers,
Ross

Tordne
January 6th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I don't know why I was able to change mine back to Class-2 after having it not start originally?

limited cv8r
January 6th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Tordne, does your RR have the flash chip fitted or just the emulator? I'll have another play with mine tonight & see what happens.

Tordne
January 6th, 2007, 12:34 PM
No flash chip in my, just emulator :)

The very first RoadRunner's didn't have flash, then they did, and then it was finally decided that flash was a PITA and taken out again.

Do you use USB or Bluetooth incidentally (not that that has any bearing on this thread)?

limited cv8r
January 6th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I've only used the USB cable through the passenger window so far, but I have got the bluetooth. Is there any way to tell if you have a flash chip without taking the PCM apart.

Tordne
January 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Try and read the PCM out with the Tune Tool through the FlashScan interface - ie NOT connected to the RoadRunner through USB.

If that works you have the flash, if not you don't.

FYI, I found that if I connected to the RoadRunner via USB and changed to Flash on the RoadRunner taskbar and performed a read operation it worked, so this is not a valid test :).

limited cv8r
January 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Pity Flashscan isn't wireless as well, I could tune my car from my lounge chair:notacrook: .

Tordne
January 6th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Well plug the Bluetooth thing in and you can :)... Not sure if you know the answer to this.. Does the Bluetooth connection/dongle have its battery?

limited cv8r
January 6th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Do you mean the bluetooth adapter which connects to the RR.

:eek: 'Well plug the Bluetooth thing in and you can :)... Not sure if you know the answer to this"

Please do explain- I have been thinking about this before.:)

Tordne
January 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I don't have the Bluetooth module for my RoadRunner yet. But I wondered if the Bluetooth module that connects to the RoadRunner end has it's own battery (in which case it would need changing occasionally), or if it is powered from the RoadRunner or car battery somehow.

limited cv8r
January 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM
From what I understand you need to have the vehicle powered up for the bluetooth to work, so I assume it takes its power supply from the PCM. I will probably be fitting it in the next couple of days,just easier to use the USB cable for now.

GMPX
January 6th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Pity Flashscan isn't wireless as well, I could tune my car from my lounge chair:notacrook: .

You know the idea has been tossed around!

Cheers,
Ross

TAQuickness
January 7th, 2007, 12:48 AM
where did it end up landing?

limited cv8r
January 7th, 2007, 12:57 AM
What next "Tuned with EFILive WIRELess":muahaha:

Highlander
January 7th, 2007, 04:44 AM
its possible... ease diagnostics already scans with a wireless method.

TNT76
June 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Well I put my roadrunner in an '04 ss sedan today and it wouldnt fire up. I was scratching my head for 10-15 minutes before I remembered this thread. I had to turn the Anti theft to none and it fired right up.
I've had this roadrunner on 4 cars now, my '02 monaro, '02 ss sedan, '03 ss ute and now the '04 ss sedan and only the '04 ss needed the Vats changed. All these cars but the '02 ss sedan were DSKW 12225074 based then turned to COS3 01290003.
At least it's running now so not too concerned, but would like to know why some work and some dont?

1998ws6
June 20th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I've had it work most of the time without issue, but last 2001 Z06 i tuned, after doing a full image reflash of the roadrunner with a stock gm bin, from another car, i had to turn vats off.

Ryan

GMPX
June 21st, 2007, 12:03 AM
Problem is the VATS data is stored on Flash memory, the PCM 'expects' to be able to write this data once the VATS is learned. On a RoadRunner this is not possible as there is no flash memory.
Early Road Runners did have flash but it caused more confusion.
If you are using Road Runner on your own vehicle and you full flash your tun file in then the VATS bytes should match and the vehicle should run.

Cheers,
Ross

TNT76
June 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM
Ah yes this makes sense I think, This '04 SS sedan I'm tuning had a Locked PCM so put a dowloaded std tune from the holden crazy site in the RR. The other 3 cars I put in the original tune then changed to the COS and then the orig cal over that.