PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what 1kpa is worth at WOT?

ringram
December 10th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Looks like Im droppping from 101kpa at low rpm to around 97kpa at full scream. I have a Fast90 and TB to go on and was wondering what the extra airflow is likely to net me?
I guess it might relate to the 15-20bhp everyone normally quotes for the Fast90 over the LS6 & TB.
Thats about 4% more pressure. Is that worth 4% more power? If so then cool!
Anyone know what they picked up from removing intake restrictions?

Dirk Diggler
December 10th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Prolly gain about 10-15 more if you are seeing vacuum in the intake

jfpilla
December 10th, 2006, 03:21 PM
The altitude here is around 1000' asl:
My car has a Vararam:
On the dyno with airfilter Map is 96 without filter its 97 and picks up 5HP.
At the track it's 98-99 with filter. All at 6500rpms.

redhardsupra
December 10th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Airflow is directly proportional to MAP, thus 4% of MAP increase will be 4% Airflow increase. Airflow is proportional to HP, thus HP should also be 4% higher.

there's a great australian online mag called autospeed that has a fantasic series of articles about MAP drops in the intake:

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=0629

if you need a subscription for it, hit me up on email, it's too good to not read.

ringram
December 10th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks dude. I have an archival sub to it, but not a current subscription.
5bhp per kpa jfpilla, I guess it depends on what engine mods are. But sounds like I should gain 4%.
Cool.
Just checked. That article is wide open to read. Looks like you dont need a sub for that one anyway.

redhardsupra
January 29th, 2007, 06:16 AM
bringing up an old thread...
we can calculate airflow increase from pressure and temp, but we dont know what it really translates to powerwise. maybe we should have a poll of 'i flow X g/sec and that translates to Y (SAE or STD)hp'. of course dyno calibrations are gonna monkey with the numbers, but at least we'd get a general idea. i've read somewhere that you make about 9-10hp for each lb/min of airflow, but it didn't say if it's wheel or flywheel hp. or should we up the game a bit and start calculating BMEP and such? any ideas ?