PDA

View Full Version : PLX Wideband SM-AFR

Rhino79
December 10th, 2006, 11:15 AM
What do you guys thinks about this unit. To me it seems like it would be pretty portable. What do you guys think?

http://www.plxdevices.com/products_SMAFR.htm

Tordne
December 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM
They look pretty good IMO. They replace the unit I have (PLX M-250) at a better price to compete with the LC-1 etc.

Rhino79
December 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah I just saw it for the first time last night and I really like it, I was thinking about the PLX-300 but if this thing will do what I need to do then I will probably go ahead and order one tonight or tomorrow.

Tordne
December 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I went with the simple option cause I didn't want/need the display - thats what EFILive is for ;) The other option for this price range is the LC-1 which is very popular.

If you wanted to spend more money then I'd have a look at the FJO Racing dual channel controller - they look very nice!

Don't think you can go wrong with this though!

Rhino79
December 10th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I hear that the LC-1 is not very portable and I think this unit is a little easier to setup and move around from vehicle to vehicle.....I guess I'll give it a try!

Rhino79
December 11th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Well I purchased the SM-AFR today, should be here by the weekend, I'll let you guys know how good it works pretty soon!

joecar
December 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Nice modular design with proper sockets. :cheers:

Rhino79
December 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I like the plug and play no calibration part.:cheers:

Big Kahuna
December 11th, 2006, 06:07 PM
SM AFR"s are a top little unit.
I just finnished wiring mine up and now need to get underneath to run the sensor and the wiring into the cabin.

Rhino79
December 11th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Awesome, I can't wait till mine gets here!

Chalky
December 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I went with the simple option cause I didn't want/need the display - thats what EFILive is for ;) The other option for this price range is the LC-1 which is very popular.

If you wanted to spend more money then I'd have a look at the FJO Racing dual channel controller - they look very nice!

Don't think you can go wrong with this though!

What was the simple option? MY WB just died and I am looking at another choice.

Tordne
December 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM
The SM-AFR is the simple option from PLX. It replaces the unit I have which is the M-250.

Lots of people use the LC-1 device as well which is priced the same as SM-AFR I believe.

Chalky
December 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Got it. Not sure if I want to do another PLX. My 250 only lasted through a couple of cycles.

Tordne
December 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Got it. Not sure if I want to do another PLX. My 250 only lasted through a couple of cycles.

Cycles?

I've had my M-250 for about 2 years now and it gets used a lot :)

Chalky
December 14th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Cycles, bad choice of words. I literally did two complete tunes with it.

Just frustrated that it failed. I just did heads/cam and wanted to try and dial it in as we caught a streak of good weather here in WI..

Tordne
December 14th, 2006, 02:00 PM
WOW :Eyecrazy:

I guess everyone has a bad experience with every product. If I had the $$$ and needed to buy another WBO2 I'd have a look at a dual channel FJO Racing unit.

Chalky
December 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Might be Karma. I also had one of the few EFILive failures as well.

I do like the PLX products. I will probably call them tomorrow and discuss the matter over the phone.

Big Kahuna
December 14th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Might be Karma. I also had one of the few EFILive failures as well.

I do like the PLX products. I will probably call them tomorrow and discuss the matter over the phone.
Did the unit die or just the 02 sensor itself. Replacement Bosch sensors can be bought relatively cheaply to suit the PLX.

Chalky
December 14th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I used a voltmeter to test voltage of white wire. Fully functioning wire output is supposed to be 2.35 volts. When I tested my wire, I was at .1. According to PLX, this is a failure. It started when I tried to log AFR and all the data was @ 10 in every cell.

Chalky
December 15th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Just ordered the SM-AFR without the sensor from Ted @ Boostcontroller.com. Hope to have it by end of week.

Hopefully, two will be better than one.

NewV
December 15th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Just ordered one myself from PLX hope to have it by Christmas, as its my present to myself. Well that and the EFILive, I treat myself well.

Chalky and Rhino - Are you guys planning to replace the stock narrowband or weld a new bung in?

Chalky
December 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I would like to add a bung but space is an issue and the car already has the headers on.

For the short term, I work off an NB 02 bung when tuning.

NewV
December 21st, 2006, 05:57 PM
Just got mine today, looks pretty good. I'm a little annoyed I will need to do some soldering to install. Seems like some of this should be done already.

Anybody install theirs yet? If so I always like free advice on what to look out for.

Tordne
December 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM
Doesn't it all just plug in to the back of the controller? Only seen pictures of it mind you :).

Chalky
December 21st, 2006, 06:55 PM
Got mine today as well. Haven't opened the box.:-?

Rhino79
December 22nd, 2006, 01:52 AM
Got mine in a few days ago, Looks great. You do have to solder and assemble the plug that goes into the controller for the output. And you have to solder the 12V plug that plugs into the back of the controller. I got mine installed on my buddies truck, worked great, first time out, no calibration, or anything. On a side note, I did not use the noise filters, and for the 12v power plug, instead of soldering, I went to radio shack and got a 12v cord with a cig lighter plug on one end and the correct plug on the other end for like $8.00.

NewV
December 22nd, 2006, 02:17 AM
Got mine in a few days ago, Looks great. You do have to solder and assemble the plug that goes into the controller for the output. And you have to solder the 12V plug that plugs into the back of the controller. I got mine installed on my buddies truck, worked great, first time out, no calibration, or anything. On a side note, I did not use the noise filters, and for the 12v power plug, instead of soldering, I went to radio shack and got a 12v cord with a cig lighter plug on one end and the correct plug on the other end for like $8.00.

So did you mount it in place of the NB sensor? If so did you wire the ECM into the NB output on the SM-AFR or just let the DTC errors get thrown?

Glad to hear it works without the noise capacitors, I posted on the PLX forum to see if they were optional or required.

Rhino79
December 22nd, 2006, 02:46 AM
I used a seperate bung right behind the passenger header collector.