PDA

View Full Version : EFILive vs Handheld question

NewV
December 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I bought EFILive because I recognize the flexibility and value it adds over a handheld.

Most of the handhelds are claiming 15-30HP with their simple tunes. I'm interested in experimenting with my EFILive a little. I've already played with the throttle cracker and follower.

While I'm saving up for my wideband can anyone offer any advice as to what these handhelds are likely changing and what I can change without getting into too much trouble?

Trippin
December 11th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Timing.:D

Doc
December 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Forgive me for asking but is your car a auto or manual? Most hand helds just up timing a little. You really need the wideband but you could play with your timing a little. Set up the scanner to log spark and KR, start small with 1 degree changes monitoring KR. For an auto, shift points, firmness, shift time, and spark in certain areas can really wake the car up. Manual, well of course !CAGS. Hopefully you are still somewhat stock so you should be concetrating on documentating or baseline as many parameters as you can in this state before the modding bug takes over and you are light years away from stock. It is kinda like taking lots of pictures of your kids through the years. By the time I got EFI Live I already had all the bolt ons so I never really got that true stock baseline. I wish I had it for reference now that I have a Frankenstien Monster.

NewV
December 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Doc - The car is manual T56 got the !CAGS first and sold the old hardwire plug already. I'll look at the timing and see what it looks like now. The car only has catbacks and CAI.

NewV
December 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Dumber question but if I wanted to play with the timing, I would change the Engine Calibration->Spark->General->Optimal Timing table?

Tordne
December 11th, 2006, 03:33 PM
High and Low Octane tables and Base tables for when you are off the throttle ~0% TP.

If you are running Stock OS in Speed Density (MAFless) then the High Octane table will NOT be used.

NewV
December 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
High and Low Octane tables and Base tables for when you are off the throttle ~0% TP.

If you are running Stock OS in Speed Density (MAFless) then the High Octane table will NOT be used.

So the Optimal Timing table is used when TP > 0%?

Tordne
December 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM
That table is used indirectly for calculations. You modify the High and/or Low Octane tables generally. And the Base Table for Idle.

Doc
December 11th, 2006, 11:03 PM
In the scanner, under bidirectional tools you can change the spark realtime. The changes won't be permanent but, you can experiment with small changes and see what your car likes. Then you would make the changes permanently to the corresponding spark tables in the calibration. Read the tuning tutorial for more definition of the tables and if you have any questions after that post'em up.

ringram
December 12th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Bidirectional you need someone else in the car unless you are messing with idle.
Also you will be very lucky to hold it in one cell while you mess with it. Almost impossible Id say on the street anyway.